Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 47 - Dying Is Easy

Code: Kirin Administrator JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 47 - Dying Is Easy

In today's series, the consequences of failure are painful and unavoidable. Learn why we prefer to tempt death on a regular basis in one of tactical gaming's biggest names.
    Abbreviated FE for your convenience.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    I feel like I just got a massive education on Fire Emblem thanks to this cast. I thought this was a great and informative backtrack, especially for someone like me who has no experience with the series. I don't know if this is a series I could play without having massive panic attacks in terms of trying to keep everyone alive though...

Excellent job, guys!

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    LOL...I totally know what you mean, Nyx. I have them panic attacks myself!!

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Holy long podcast Batman

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Holy long podcast Batman
    We like Fire Emblem.

Seems like we had a lot of material to cover, and all indications are that we did a pretty good job of it.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Well that was 3 hours...of excellence, need to play me some Fire Emblem

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Yes, yes you do!

In all seriousness, either Path of Radiance, Shadow Dragon, or The Sacred Stones will be good FE games to begin with. Both PoR and SD have easy modes, and and SS allows you to move on the map and has random encounters (sort of), so you can do a bit of grinding (though as you may recall, not too much).
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

An awful lot of people started with the first English game, too, and it seems to have worked out rather well for them. That leaves Radiant Dawn as the lone game that Nintendo localized unfriendly to newbies, I believe.

Which makes it all the more awesome that Radiant Dawn was localized. Definitely wouldn't recommend playing it without having played Path of Radiance, but I don't get all the fans who didn't like the story. I thought it picked up the story from PoR well and gave a sense of closure that really made me feel like this was a natural continuation and conclusion to the narrative.

I still have one English FE I haven't played, namely Sacred Stones. It's near the top of my priority list and I will finish it this year. Then it's on to the fan translatinos and I'm thinking Fuuin no Tsurugi is a good start sometime next year.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of the Heroes: Trails in the Sky / South Park: The Stick of Truth / Volgarr the Viking
    Broforce / Shovel Knight / Duck Tales Remastered / Final Fantasy 3 PC

Well, four of the Fire Emblems that never made it into English got a pretty good wrap-up on this episode. Can't speak to the merits of the original two on the Famicom or the newest one on DS that Nintendo hasn't seen fit to bestow upon lands outside the Rising Sun, though.