Thread: RPG Sanctum Contest Announcement

Host of The Sectorcast Rosestorm's Avatar

RPG Sanctum Contest Announcement

The RPG Sanctum hopes to tap into your inner musical maestro with The Witcher 2 providing some incentive. We're also looking for some new content ideas with Cthulhu providing the fire.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2011/062911a.html
    Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
    Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
    A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.

Suggestion for an episode: The effectiveness of RPG elements in other genres (or: Why Can I Ding in Call of Duty?)
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Episode concept: Where are all the multiplayer RPGs?
    ive got candy

I would like to hear a few shows.

A show on player - protagonist relationships. We see different takes on the protagonist, from fully developed characters in their own right, silent protagonists, selectable protagonists, protagonists with a few selectable options such as gender and class, to completely customizable characters and parties. How does each type of protagonist relate to a player? When they are a good match for the player? When they are not?

Let's not save the world! Most RPGs end when the party defeats the main villain and saves the world, but there are exceptions. What games have different plots, and are they effective?

Good vs. Evil: Morality has been slowly working it's way into at least western style rpgs. What is the history behind this? How is it done? And what has and hasn't worked?

These are all good ideas, keep them coming.

Okay, here's a few more:

Item creation systems. I've enjoyed creating items in the Atelier series, mostly ignored it in anything TriAce developed, and can't help but wonder what committee designed the system in FF XIII. Even Dragon Quest has dabbled in it. What as worked, what hasn't, and what would you like to see.

Monsters! We spend hours and hours killing them in each and every RPG, but other than to be killed, why are they there? Do they fit their environment, or do we just see them as abstractions with their own screens, and own context. Some games have gone out of their way to make the monsters fit into the setting and the story (Phantasy Star 2 and Panzer Dragoon Saga come to mind). Other games have you fighting multiple huge dragons when you're in a tiny room, or just provide the lamest of excuses as to the world deteriorating and the animals becoming more wild. How should monsters be incorporated into an RPG, and what games have done it right, and what games have done it wrong.

Replays. What games do you like to replay, and why? How long do you go between replays? What games have you enjoyed in the past, but can't bring yourself to play now (either start or continue). What games have lost their shine with age and why?

Starter RPGs. What makes a good starter RPG. What are a few current games that would make a good starter RPG? I've used FF I, Suikoden I, or Lunar as good introductions, but are there more recent games that would work? Alternatively, I wouldn't start anyone on a Tales, SMT or any game by TriAce. How d you explain some of the RPG conventions that may seem odd to an outsider?

Heres another one: How has online and Downloadable Content changed RPG gaming. Additionally, how SHOULD it be changing the genre?
    ive got candy

Don't care about the prize (not eligible for it anyway), but I'd be interested to hear a show about difficulty in RPGs, and whether an easy game (from the perspective of someone experienced with the genre) is inherently inferior to a challenging one.

Keep the ideas coming guys, all of these ideas will used for show topics so keep the creative juices flowing.

Heres a Topical One; Localizing Games: How do you decide which Jrpgs and what not to bring to the West, and How does That effect gamers and the market? Is there an Industry Bias towards or against certain types of RPGs? Can NOT bringing over some games actually hurt you in the long run?
    And more issues in that vein.

OH!,One More Topic: Hardware and Rpgs. Does the Power Behind the system effect your Enjoyment of the game in a significant way? What About System features like Touch Screen, Motion Controls, Wifi, how do these add or Detract from RPG enjoyment?
    Last edited by TheMaddness; 07-11-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: DOUBLE POST!
    ive got candy

Can't you hear the drums? SuccessorM's Avatar
    Episode Concepts:

1) If you had the power, what RPG would you remake or update for the better? And, how and why would you do that, given the power?
    2) We often talk about the good and definitive RPGS out there, what about the bad ones? What are the RPGs that are an embarrassing to the genre, and why?
    3) What are your favorite RPG tropes/cliches? Provide examples from games (saving the princess, saving the world, chaste heroes, etc.)?
    4) Who is your favorite RPG director (or favorites) and why?
    5) What are your favorite video game soundtracks?
    Last edited by SuccessorM; 07-14-2011 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Grammatical Errors

Keep the ideas rolling and remember there are only two weeks left to enter the music contest.

1) Best RPG Battle Systems: Who has the most fun, innovative battle system, the kind that can make a lackluster story worth playing through?
    2)Action RPGs:The Final Frontier?: With The Rather Meteoric Rise in the number of Action RPGs lately, Does this indicate a New trend in the way Rpgs are being made? How do Action RPgs hold up to traditional turn based ones, And Would Action RPGS supplanting them as the most common form be a good thing, or a bad thing?
    ive got candy

All of these ideas are great, we will have show topics for months to come. On another note does anyone have anything new they would like to see in terms of show format, an example being like how Chris reads the feedback from the previous show or something along those lines; or do you guys like the format as is?

Well, Yeah, a section where you read any relevant feedback would be nice. And perhaps, at the very End, you can go around and have everyone states their conclusion on whatever subject you're discussing and why, briefly. Partly to see if anyone changed their minds, and mostly because sometimes it's difficult to remember everyone's opinion by the end.
    ive got candy

I like the format as is. I think that discussion about the previous show including any feedback should be limited to the forums. You should include a friendly invitation near the end of the show to join the discussion on the forums.

I like the show sticking to its focus (well, at least as much as you manage to stay on topic). I enjoy the tangents and wondering, but I don't want to sit through a review of comments about the previous show, especially since I read them all on the forums anyways.

The more that you can do to encourage forum use is a benefit in my book.

The content contest is officially closed, I thank all of you for your great submissions. User TheMaddness has won with his localization episode idea, and remember the music contest is open until August 1st, but may get extended.