Thread: Otamajakushi - Japandemonium for July 1st, 2011

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar

Otamajakushi - Japandemonium for July 1st, 2011

Sing, sing, sing little tadpoles!

Sing for your column!

Those aren't all the protagonists of ToA. The one on the top left seems to say "Dist", i.e. one of the villains, and Natalia's is missing.

For those interested (correct me if I'm wrong) from top left, clockwise, the signatures are Dist, Luke, Guy, Jade, Tear and Anise.

Wasn't Final Fantasy X inspired by Ainu culture in some ways?

On someone else's list (not Famitsu), Atelier Meruru was #1. I'm surprised that it's not even in the top 20 on the Famitsu list. Disappointed that Gloria Union did not even make the list. It sold ~9000 copies its first week. Link

As for otamajakushi, apparently even kids understand this word as it's in the OP theme lyrics for Suite Precure (this season's Pretty Cure entry).

The only release interesting to me next month is Nora. Good to see Atelier finally getting some competition, even if it is from the same publisher.

Can you tell me about Kamui (or link to previous column)? Kamui is a Japanese name as far as I'm concerned. There is a character in Naruto named this as well as one in D. Gray Man.
    Last edited by flamethrower; 07-01-2011 at 02:01 PM.

I found it amusing that whomever sponsors the hosting for the Nora trailer thought the fanbase for the game would also be interested in UFC fighters screaming in their face.

I want little battlers information! I have recently caught the mecha bug (again) and I wanna plaaaaay!

OK, going in order...

Cid: I'm barely 4 hours into the game at this point, so I'm just making assumptions in that section. I thought Dist looked rather villainous, but you never know... No idea if there's a FFX-Ainu connection, though

flamethrower: I forgot to put a date on the Famitsu list this week, but I always use the Top 30 list from Enterbrain which is always two weeks behind the current date. Gloria Union and Atelier Meruru WILL be popping up on that list very soon, I promise you.
    -I never said otamajakushi was an uncommon word. The kanji for it, on the other hand, are really obscure.
    -Kamui is an Ainu word, but it's most likely derived from the Japanese word kami. It means "spirit" or "deity", much like the Japanese word. There's also a boss in Okami named this, btw, and he has a definite Ainu theme going on.

lolwhoops: did you read the column two weeks ago?

why yes, yes I did! I always read them. I'm just hoping to hear about its success and the subsequent necessity to bring it to my playing couch. oh and videos of the game in action would make me happy too.

I also had a really weird question that came to my mind because my girlfriend happens to be extremely interested in weather patterns and natural disasters...What is the strangest thing that was found on land after the tsunami? There must've been some weird thing or two from the depths of the oceanic abyss that made some people look twice, right?

Quote Originally Posted by lolwhoops View Post
    why yes, yes I did! I always read them. I'm just hoping to hear about its success and the subsequent necessity to bring it to my playing couch. oh and videos of the game in action would make me happy too.

I also had a really weird question that came to my mind because my girlfriend happens to be extremely interested in weather patterns and natural disasters...What is the strangest thing that was found on land after the tsunami? There must've been some weird thing or two from the depths of the oceanic abyss that made some people look twice, right?
    I think I'll just save that for a future Culture Corner

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    Huh - Hexyz Force is listed on the upcoming PSP releases. Did I miss something and the Japanese release was delayed enormously from the North American, or is that a re-release of some kind?
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Oops, forgot to include (PSP The Best) in there. Also forgot that it's spelled with a Z >_<

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Devil Summoner 2? Is that suppose to be Devil Survivor 2?
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    Could be, unless Soul Hackers: Devil Summoner 2 is seeing a re-release. From what I understand that would be a good thing, though.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

OK, OK, so I was a little asleep at the wheel this week >_<

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinMonogatari View Post
    OK, OK, so I was a little asleep at the wheel this week >_<
    and it looks like the bus hit a tree too. But thats okay Gaijin we still love ya.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Nah, "bus hitting a tree" would be if I managed to fubar an HTML tag and make half the column disappear, again.