Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Import Impression - Tales of the Abyss 3d

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar

Import Impression - Tales of the Abyss 3d

A question for modern gamers should be, if you stare into the 3D screen for too long, will it stare back? The first true Japanese RPG for the 3DS may be a port, but it'll have players staring into the 3D for a long time to come.

Impression

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Gaijin, pookie, where did all the text go? Right now I see less than a paragraph! :O

Refresh?

Maybe you caught it while I was uploading it with the new forum link?

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Wheels wants this game badly

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Sounds like it's coming to be a 'perfect' port. By the way, Luke DOES get a change pretty soon, a change that gets mixed reactions.

I won't be "perfect" unless it is dual audio. Which it may be, I have no idea. I haven't been following it as I already played the game a ton and don't really have time to play it again. Anyhow, if it's not dual audio, that's one more mark on the side of buying a Japanese 3DS, just in case I ever do decide I want it.
    <span style=\'color:#009966\'>I miss my old prettiful sig.</span>

I guess it's fun for old fans to replay this game on the 3DS, but I could care less about that. My biggest wish is that people who never tried the original will pick this up and see what great character development the Tales series has to offer. This goes especially for all the Europeans who never imported the PS2 release. I've already convinced two people I know to pick it up, one of which is a fan of Symphonia and Vesperia and another who is yet unacquinated with Tales.
    Currently playing:
    Legend of the Heroes: Trails in the Sky / South Park: The Stick of Truth / Volgarr the Viking
    Broforce / Shovel Knight / Duck Tales Remastered / Final Fantasy 3 PC

Luke does undergo some very significant character development, and the story is one of the best I've seen in a game (other than a lot of backtracking that can lag the plot). If he weren't such a jerk to begin with, we couldn't appreciate what he turns into and why.

Balthamel
    Luke is my favorite rpg protagonist and I started out much the same, wanting to strangle him every few minutes. But his character development is simply amazing and so well done, and ToTA in general has such a well formulated story that it has been a long while since I have enjoyed any game the same way since. I can not wait for this to be released in the US. It is one of the reason I picked up a 3DS.

Yes, that first 'bottle' does sound really quite difficult ;o I want this game.

Do you know if TotA 3DS has any multiplayer support? I loved TotA, but a large reason was because some battles were a blast with four players... I'm not so sure if I'd want to buy it again if the 3DS version is only a one-player game.

As for Luke, we rarely included him in our party unless we had to... =p

Don't worry about Luke. He undergoes an amazing amount of character development, as does most of the cast. That is why that is one of my favorite RPGs. They take a cast that starts out as (mostly) JRPG archetypes, and then evolve and expand the crap out of them through the whole game.
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDest...7?feature=mhee

Banned Banned
    There are a few cool characters, but there are also so many unlikeable, utterly hypocritical twats in the game. And Luke isn't even one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam = Wise View Post
    Yes, that first 'bottle' does sound really quite difficult ;o I want this game.
    Darn, how did THAT get past the proofing stages >_<
    Fixing now.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaiandra View Post
    Do you know if TotA 3DS has any multiplayer support? I loved TotA, but a large reason was because some battles were a blast with four players... I'm not so sure if I'd want to buy it again if the 3DS version is only a one-player game.

As for Luke, we rarely included him in our party unless we had to... =p
    I saw in an interview in Nintendo Power that it will not have any multiplayer or communication features of any kind.

I don't know about anyone else, but games that are remade are best reviewed by those who played the previous game so you know what exactly to compare to in the new version. That's just what I think. :P

Well, good thing I won't be reviewing it then, isn't it? I'm sure Wheels would jump at the chance, once the English version roles out

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Depends on whether you've already played the original or not really As my experience of Tales of the Abyss is only through the anime, I'm more than happy for an impression from someone who also hasn't played it.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

I've found that Luke's character change/progress later in the game would not be nearly as effective, if he weren't that annoying snobbish spoiled brat in the beginning. Also, due to his history of being confined to a life of luxury, knowing nothing about the outside world, kind of makes me at least understand his point of view. It's plausible, believable.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Although I appreciate that Abyss attempts character development, I personally found it a bit awkward and forced. For me, Luke was so unlikeable at the beginning of the game that it was difficult to care about any character transformation. That, and magical haircut transformation scenes make me giggle.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance