Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 48 - Opening a Can of Whupass

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 48 - Opening a Can of Whupass

Once upon a time, a company called Working Designs localized many games for Sega systems. The Saturn was granted a number of these, and two of them that otherwise have no connection get a thorough scrutiny.
    Abbreviated AO and MKR.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    I liked this backtrack, although I still have no desire to run out and buy and Saturn and then fork out insane monies for these games. Of the two discussed, I'd probably rather play Rayearth considering how much I adored the anime. I thought it was adorkable that you each had a different girl on your discs. You guys were meant to be friends.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    I feel ashamed that they knew the character names and I could only reply "I have the blonde girl".

You STILL don't remember Fuu's name? Ye gads, sir!
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    I liked this backtrack, although I still have no desire to run out and buy and Saturn and then fork out insane monies for these games. Of the two discussed, I'd probably rather play Rayearth considering how much I adored the anime. I thought it was adorkable that you each had a different girl on your discs. You guys were meant to be friends.
    There is a TL patch available for MKR for SNES. It's not a very good game though - not recommended. It follows the franchise storyline very well though. I thought all of the battles were tedious and didn't really challenge the player.

I SAID it wasn't good if you listened to this episode.

The only reason to play Albert Odyssey now is for script. Working Designs decided to take the anachronistic humor they served as a side dish in the Lunar games and make it the main course. I could consider playing this again if it weren't for the load times (which didn't bother me as much back then but now...). Of course I can still here the 1st few chords of the battle theme whenever thinking about this game.

I did try to replay MKR more recently, but, as with the experience on the podcast, it takes a little too long before the game becomes interactive. I do remember especially liking the look of the fountains. (I know that was random).

Sounds like Alundra is up next, which I look forward to listening to. That's easily one of my favorite PS1 games. Also proof that Working Designs could do a more serious script.

No love for Shining Wisdom though? ;P

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    You neeeever know!

No love for Shining Wisdom though? ;P
    Based on half an hour of fumbling with it nine years ago, no. I did not like what I played, no I did not.
    Seems the comment mill has run out of material for this installment a mite earlier than expected. Too bad, these games were and are pretty fun, even if a lot of it came from the scripts.

I think the problem with these games are that in order to play them, you had to have a Saturn at the time. I don't know of much buzz about them, or any reason someone would seek them out after the fact. I even have a hard time commenting much since I haven't played these games since their release.

I like the idea of trying to experience them again, but I don't have the time. Anyone I know who hasn't, I have a large list of games I'd rather force them to play before these.

Well, XR, I guess the reason some people (who have the time) play them is because they are a part of our rpg history, and as we discussed, are solid experiences in their own right, especially when you are looking for a traditional jrpg experience. Some would play them just because of the fact that they aren't easily accessible. People often want those thingsnthat are harder to get.

Oh, I think people should play these games, especially Albert Odyssey. I'm just trying to muse about why more people haven't. I know that even though I lack the time to follow up on anything, I enjoy the shows about both the games I have played, and those I have not. Listening to shows about games that I have played lets me reminisce a bit, and sometimes makes we want to dust an older game off my shelf.

And then there are shows like the one on Valkyrie Profile, which might get me to play more than the 1st few hours. I was annoyed by some of the mechanics and stopped playing, but I hope to give it another shot.

Yeah, for me its always been a matter of time. Just about every part of my day is planned out...I don't get much time to play games, much less catch up with the ones I've missed. Darn life and responsibilities!

Wow...the ending theme here from the opening of Magic Knight Rayearth took me way back. Alas, I never got to play anything on the Saturn. It was so short lived. Still, the game sounded like a lot of fun. Albert Odyssey was a series I was always curious about, having seen it on the Working Designs website for years, and I enjoyed hearing about it. Alas, it seemed more like a "pass" for me.

I was happy to see you return to the "recent past" with FFIV: The After Years. As a super FFIV fan boy, I agree the game was like candy, but it relied heavily on nostalgia. It was kind of annoying for me as my old SNES version of the game was "perfected" and it was sad to see my old friends without the equipment I fought for. Still, I thought some things were interesting. I was particularly shocked to learn that the game had such an easy way to "cheat" in. There were ways to easily get "rare" items.

I think if the "recent past" section is going to be a small bit placed in a podcast, I preferred it at the front. Also if you are going to discuss more than one game (i.e. not all games within a single series) you guys could put it inbetween for variety. Like in this case you would have had "Albert Odyssey" "Blast from recent past" & then "Magic Knight Rayearth"

Just a thought

Did I hear correctly that you are doing Alundra next? OMG! If that is so, I will definitely have something to say about that game!

Where are you guys?

It's been a while.........

Well, there was my vacation, and then Mike's internet has been a bit spotty....but he should be getting this latest one up any day now

That's the thing about not having internet access, it makes uploading these episodes rather difficult. Problem should be solved now, though.