Thread: Tanzaku - Japandemonium for July 8th, 2011

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar

Tanzaku - Japandemonium for July 8th, 2011

I want to be a columnist when I grow up!

that's quite the doodle. Any particular reason that there's a monkey there?

Girls RPG? I wonder how many women are actually involved with designing and creating it?

And nothing crazy found, huh? Ah well.

The section on crazy school bylaws makes me think that I was in the most relaxed high school in the entirety of Miyagi Prefecture during my stay there. If the school did have any restrictive bylaws, then they either weren't relayed to me in a language I could understand, or were written in the little book I was given when I started there that also contained the school contact numbers, a calendar, and the sheet music for...something (Either some sort of school song or maybe the Japanese national anthem, I have no idea). Since the school had no school uniform policy, I figured they were pretty lax about things.

During the orientation before I left for Japan, one of the people involved with the group sending us out there told a tale of how one student during a previous year had been spotted holding hands with a female student in his year group, and both the school management and the families involved (Both the host family and the student's family) flipped their collective lids. The exchange student had to move schools, iirc.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GaijinMonogatari View Post
    For something a little sillier, I found out yesterday that putting a 10 yen coin in your sneakers apparently keeps them from getting smelly. I have no idea how or why this would work.
    You mean you haven't tested it out yet? Boooo
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

lolwhoops: It was part of a series of month flashcards, all featuring the monkey in some way.

Quin: no uniforms? That really was a laissez-faire school then. I only know one high school in Kyushu without school uniforms, though there might be a couple more I haven't heard of. Also, school faculty WILL keep track of any open romance between students, and debate (in private) on whether or not to intervene. I know that when my girlfriend was in high school, she and other students were actually banned from having boyfriends, because it would be detrimental to her studies (according to the faculty).

Severin: This time of year, I wear sandals. No way to keep the coin from falling out.

Sadly, although I met the principle on a couple of occasions, I never actually asked him if there was any particular reason for the lack of uniforms. Several third year students clearly enjoyed the lack of uniform regulations, considering the showcase of bizzare Japanese fashions that made up their classroom corridors at lunch break.

As a private school student, I'd been wearing a shirt, tie and blazer for years, and I was quite surprised to go across to a country with a reputation for having a more...strict school environment, only to find the supply of clean white ironed shirts I'd packed in my luggage for the trip were completly pointless.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

You certainly didn't have a normal Japanese school experience O_o

The school system tends to be more about social controls than actual education (at least some of the time), and uniforms are a big part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinMonogatari View Post
    lolwhoops: It was part of a series of month flashcards, all featuring the monkey in some way.
    As seen in this previous column. If you want to see the other 11 cards.

(But do not come supplied with a "How to Play" DS game!)

Another great column.
    Metal Max Rules!
    Finally some non-HandHeld games made the top 30 Fam.
    Go Go Meruru!
    Last edited by Slayer; 07-11-2011 at 04:14 PM. Reason: loco

RE: Coin in shoe trick.

If true, this is likely due to the coin's metal composition as some metals have anti-bacterial and/or anti-fungal properties. Particularly silver and zinc.