Thread: RPGCast - Episode 184: "Happy Freaking Birthday"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 184: "Happy Freaking Birthday"

RPGCast - Episode 184: "Happy Freaking Birthday"

We try to figure out what the heck it is that Nintendo should do with those pesky JRPGs. Nintendo tries to figure out what to do with those pesky mobile phones. Namco Bandai tries to figure out what to do with those pesky Witcher guys. Rosestorm plays more Dragon Age.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/184

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Happy Freaking Birthday"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    I'm firmly with Anna here. As far as gaming goes, we're far past the era of meaningful graphical jumps like we saw from system to system in the past. I saw the Battlefield 3 stuff from E3, and it didn't look like that huge a jump. Just slightly higher-resolution textures and a few more particle effects, stuff you'd really have to spend time gazing at intently to notice, and you'd likely miss it in the throws of blowing things up relentlessly. We are past the point of easily-noticeable visual differences on conventional displays, and the next systems will have trouble moving in the marketplace if all they have to offer are the minor incremental updates that we see in Battlefield 3.

And I didn't send any stupid letters. I made peace long ago with the fact that Nintendo home consoles were no longer for me. This is just another nail in a coffin that's got so many nails that you can't even see what the coffin is made of anymore.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

I don't think visuals have made a huge leap, but if we were to experience a longer than normal console generation, then I would prefer it to be the next generation. There are a number of simple standards that the consoles are rarely capable of hitting. 1080p (the adopted standard of HD TVs) + 4x (ideally 8x) AA + sharper textures + 60 fps do make a huge difference - by contrast the consoles regularly fail to even hit 720p, and frequently don't make use of AA, which leave things looking a little rough and blurry.

This current generation is starting to feel a little underdone, not in a substantial way, but it is nevertheless noticeable. The graphics are looking a bit unpolished, the textures are quite underwhelming, and the framerate could stand to be smoother, occasionally fps becomes bad enough to effect the entire feel of a game.

This is all small stuff. The next generation won't turn console graphics on their head, it will be like the current generation as it should have been - doing flawlessly everything that the current generation attempted to do.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconNooB View Post
    I don't think visuals have made a huge leap, but if we were to experience a longer than normal console generation, then I would prefer it to be the next generation. There are a number of simple standards that the consoles are rarely capable of hitting. 1080p (the adopted standard of HD TVs) + 4x (ideally 8x) AA + sharper textures + 60 fps do make a huge difference - by contrast the consoles regularly fail to even hit 720p, and frequently don't make use of AA, which leave things looking a little rough and blurry.

This current generation is starting to feel a little underdone, not in a substantial way, but it is nevertheless noticeable. The graphics are looking a bit unpolished, the textures are quite underwhelming, and the framerate could stand to be smoother, occasionally fps becomes bad enough to effect the entire feel of a game.
    This is why I'm really curious to see how The Witcher 2 turns out on consoles (second-hand, since I have it for PC ). So far the graphics look fabulous compared to most other console games of this generation, and CDProjekt has said that it hopes to keep loading to a bare minimum like it did with the PC version. Considering the RAM limitations of the 360, I'm wondering how they'll pull it off... and if they do pull it off, what the heck has everyone else been doing all this time?

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    what the heck has everyone else been doing all this time?
    Dealing with exceptionally annoying dev kits x.x

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Hahahahahaha, no I do not own any eroge / hentai games and I wouldn't want to. But thanks for making me laugh. I do wonder why you thought to ask that though, Chris.

By the way, I would say "Theaterhythm" as if it were just "theater rhythm." There's doesn't have to be anything complex about it. Unless you put a deliberate pause between the words, there's effectively no difference between the final R in "theater" and the initial R in "rhythm" anyway. Just like you wouldn't stumble over, say, "Yearworth"--you just say it like you would say the words "year" and "worth" one right after the other. The fact that "Theaterhythm" has only one R is immaterial.

And before I forget, I for one do not own a Wii. Why? because there are so few games on it I would want to play. Xenoblade and The Last Story are two games that could tip the scales for me. The world--and Nintendo--may never know!

Anyway, the games I was referring to when I talked about more games being in danger of not seeing release here were:

-Valkyria 3
    -The Last Story
    -Xenoblade
    -FF Type-0 (though now it's been mentioned as a possible PSN only release)
    -Megaman Legends 3 -- after a decade of dreaming -- has had a few bumps in the road even after they started releasing news of working on it. That's for any release at all though, not localization. Seems to have stabilized now?
    -Tales and SRT franchises are notoriously underrepresented overseas for a variety of reasons.

Also, a related source of worry for me is the similar trend in anime--no, no hentai there either--where the series I get most interested in either aren't likely to be localized or get such small scale publishing that they become annoying (low availability) and expensive to get. There was a pretty funny slice-of-life show called Working!! (English title is "Wagnaria") that I couldn't get because it was always marked as "out of stock" until I went to pre-order Katanagatari--which was pretty much my favorite anime of 2010--because I was so damn paranoid I'd never get a chance to see a copy if I didn't get in on the ground floor. Now I have to pray it sells well enough that they don't abandon the second half of the show. Though it's not like I'd expect something like Katanagatari to be a huge thing over here anyway, even purely among anime fans. It's too specific a taste, and not worth trying to sell more than a small run, which I'll get into in a bit.

Now, as far as bottom line goes...

Well I could ramble on a long time, but the gist of it is that 1) I thought RPGs were already a small market, yet a decade ago I could take certain releases for granted while today we're crossing our fingers for the news (specific example: Xenosaga vs. Xenoblade). What's changed? Is the world of videogames/RPGs really that different now? And 2) I know some of my preferences are rather particular tastes, and that such specific mini-genres can't possibly ever have the volume of genres with broader appeal. But still, there's obviously an audience for those very specific tastes considering those works get made at all.

Additionally, I'll echo that there's a difference between a localization being viable or not and expecting the wrong level of sales from a certain product. Don't expect 6-digit sales out of a game that really should only break half that.

Which brings us too: Why should they care? Why care about the smallfry releases--well, basically, there has to be someone at the heart of the game that came up with the concept because they like it or it's something they wanted to bring into the world. Businesses are purely about maximizing profit, as well they should be, but there are still individuals behind the games too, guys that to some degree have some of those same particular tastes. And it's the efforts of people that share those tastes--within the industry, within the staff of publishers that bring them stateside, and in the fanbase--that allow niche games to see the light of day at all.

Okay, so maybe big publishers won't--and shouldn't have to--care about small, niche releases with specific, small audiences. But that doesn't mean I can't hope that there are people who will fight for those niche games and make it happen. It doesn't mean I can't yearn for another game that's right up my alley.
    Last edited by Just Doug; 07-09-2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Streamlined my monster of a post to be less monstrous.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I agree that it's silly for people to write these games coming over here so quickly just because of a comment posted on Facebook and Twitter by some third-party. Also, I think people getting angry and saying Nintendo doesn't care about hard core gamers are being rash. Yes these games are coming out in Europe, and there has yet to be no clear word on whether or not these games are ever coming over here. Xenoblade's status is especially odd since it was quietly listed as TBD for about two years. However, this doesn't mean it'll never come out here. Maybe this rumor that they're just waiting to announce these games is true. Or maybe it isn't. Still, I think people are overreacting. Save your anger until it really looks like these games aren't coming over here.

I hope it's not too late to send in a letter.
    Last edited by Strawberry Eggs; 07-09-2011 at 11:40 PM.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs
    Also, I think people getting angry and saying Nintendo doesn't care about hard core gamers are being rash.
    They haven't done much since 2006 to prove otherwise. The problem with the Wii is that unless you'll buy any ol' piece of shovel ware, it's mainly a Mario Machine, meaning that there's precious little use for it outside of the mascot games. Nintendo's made it clear that they don't need us anymore because they can survive on mascots and gimmicks until the universe caves in on itself. Hell, even the Project Rainfall guys have made it clear they don't want anyone turning away from Nintendo if they fail. With fans this devoted regardless of what they do, why should they listen? Why should they care? I don't blame them. It's good business to focus on the hardware sales buck, because even at the very worst, they'll have a machine they can sell their mainstays to, even if they never stray from their top formulas and the 3rd parties finally wise up and walk away completely. Their business is built on hardware sales and moms, and all but the most blind Nintendo fanboy can see that now.

Again, I do not begrudge them, and I wish them all the success in the world, even as they and I grow farther apart.

New Member New Registered User
    Regarding doujin games, Chris, I'm pretty sure you could substitute "doujin" with "indie" in many cases - it isn't necessarily some sort of tie-in to another product.

As for Nintendo's brand, I'm not sure which they find more important - that of a company that listens to its fans, or that of a mainstream company whose games are popular and sell well across the board. Nintendo has been careful to nurture its image of having universal appeal; selling a bunch of niche JRPGs doesn't really help to maintain that.
    As a customer though, I'm pissed off. Even though I don't own a Wii, any publisher trying to lock out regions of the world from its products pisses me off. Stop stopping me from giving you money, damn it!
    Related to that, John's comment that he'd play his JRPGs on PC if he could struck a chord with me. Why the hell not, all you Japanese publishers? The costs of porting can probably be ameliorated by the savings inherent in digital distribution. I hope Carpe Fulgur's efforts in showing there is a market for JRPGs on PC prove successful and the big publishers are shown the error of their ways.
    Rant over.

Technically, I know the answer to my own statement; The PC isn't a fixed platform.

Take it from me, programming on a PS3 can be a pain, but at least you know when something goes wrong, it (usually) isn't down to hardware configuration, especially if you take the time and profile your code properly. PCs are getting better at this, though, with more standardised GFX card drivers and the like. Don't rule out the costs of porting a console game to the PC, skimping on costs here is basically guaranteed to sink the project due to poor porting.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

President of Soft Paws SeraphimKitten's Avatar
    In honor of LizSoft being one person, the official Paws Fan Club will now be called Soft Paws. Because, well, Paws Soft sounds silly. I'd say the entire fan club agrees, but you can only push a "one person club" joke so far.

I haven't listened to an episode in a long time, but it was good to catch one live then listen to it again from the start. Looks like you're still doing a good job! I went ahead and started recharging my ipod so I can start listening during physical therapy. Keep up the good work!

And on a slightly more on topic note, I actually seem to play more RPGs on my Wii than my PS3 (I don't own an Xbox of any numbering scheme). Except for Disgaea, my PS3 has become a blue ray player. On the Wii I've been playing those games I either didn't have (Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen) or that are still packed up in a box somewhere (Ogre Battle 64). None of those top my PSP for titles relevant to my interests, however. Disgaea, War of the Lions, Jeanne d'Arc, and I think Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together PSP is going to end up being my favorite game ever before I finish it. Even better than Bubble Bobble.

As for Nintendo's brand, I'm not sure which they find more important - that of a company that listens to its fans, or that of a mainstream company whose games are popular and sell well across the board. Nintendo has been careful to nurture its image of having universal appeal; selling a bunch of niche JRPGs doesn't really help to maintain that.
    I'm not sure how having things other than their mascots to peddle can possibly hurt them. If anything, games like this could help dent the "kids and casuals only" rep that they've developed for themselves of late.

Hell, if they're so militant about not releasing the game themselves, the least they can do is get out of the way and let a 3rd party do it the way Sony Japan was decent enough to do with Demon's Souls. There's nothing here other than typical NoA arrogance keeping this game out of North America.

Can't you hear the drums? SuccessorM's Avatar
    Wow, I forgot how strongly everyone (myself included) feels about the state of Nintendo for now. For one, I am going to move back to handheld only for them. I am been pretty unsatisfied with the Nintendo Wii game catalog. Sure, there have been many games I have have/played on the Wii that I have loved and truly enjoyed playing. However, with games and like Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy, once I am done, I am done. It doesn't help that since we already don't get JRPGs often stateside for Wii, that it can do little more for me then collect dust once I played the games I planned on playing.

That being said, their 1st party games have been quite exceptional, problem is, after I am done with them, what more do I have? Even Brawl, their Wii game with the most potential longevity, had all support for it dropped in a very short time. 3rd party support is a mixed bag for the Wii. The rare gems being absolutely buried under shovelware. Sure, Nintendo might be making their bottom-line on selling hardware with little to no first party support, but me, having bought a launch window Wii with no hardrive, dvd support, or even the basis of an online community, there is nothing left for me here.

Granted, as a business, its all about profits. But, with Wii sales the way they have been, and Nintendo thinking that dropping a "U" after it, I can't imagine sales will soar as much as they did before. After all, to the non-gamers out there, whats the difference? I am very curious how Nintendo plans to get these into peoples homes, when all the new bells and whistles only seem to appeal to the hardcore. Especially that there is already confusion with non-hardcore whether or not there is a difference.

Yeah, I will be giving my Wii to my sister. Someone has to play those dance/rhythm games, after all. I started out with Nintendo handhelds, and they have yet to let me down. I will go back to my roots there, and see how their whole console thing works out.

Getting to other things, I love doujin games and visual novels. I would love to play the Umineko games, but I will try for that once I am not being attacked by Calculus II. The more doujin games we get stateside, the more money will fly out my wallet. I would love to wake up one morning to find that fighting games for Umineko and Higurashi were English subbed.

Quote Originally Posted by SuccessorM View Post
    I would love to wake up one morning to find that fighting games for Umineko and Higurashi were English subbed.
    I imagine Witch Hunt, the group currently handling EP8 of the Umineko VN will eventually do a translation patch for Ougon Musou Kyoku. I don't think the upcoming 360 version of it (Ougon Musou Kyoku X) will really put a dampner on that, just that since EP8 is the conclusion of the series, that's where the focus will be.

Can't you hear the drums? SuccessorM's Avatar
    Makes since, I am surprised the series, proper, has come to a close already. I was worried it would take years to finish out the story (though I only know as far as the series anime has gotten). Was the Higurashi fighter any good?

What was up with the audio in this one? It sounded like someone was on a delay too?
    ive got candy

Quote Originally Posted by SuccessorM View Post
    Makes since, I am surprised the series, proper, has come to a close already. I was worried it would take years to finish out the story (though I only know as far as the series anime has gotten). Was the Higurashi fighter any good?
    I wasn't aware Higurashi had a fighting game, just Umineko. I don't really follow Higurashi, so there could be one for all I know.

Anyone remember Mother 3 (i.e. The game after Earthbound) for the GBA? How there was a massive and lengthy campaign via letters, phones, e-stuff, over months? Even a major project undertaken by fans to translate the game themselves with an end result that screams "ready to produce, ship, and sell in the States." But Nintndo never listened, they never cared, so I am very pessimistic about the chances of these games being made available here.

Well, this is my first post on the site. I only recently started listening to the show and was listening to this episode at work last night and felt compelled to finally register on the site after visiting it for about a year. The thing that made me register was sabin1001's mentioning of the opening comedian for Conan. Odd thing to bring me to RPGamer finally, but whatever does the trick I suppose. The opening comedian from Conan is named Jimmy Pardo. If you're a frequent viewer of the show, you may also know him as Andy Richter's sidekick (check out the YouTube clip, totally worth it). He's also the host of my favorite podcast, Never Not Funny. Insanely funny show and worth the subscription to the "Primo" version. The free one gets you the first 20 minutes free.

Okay, so enough plugging a podcast that has nothing to do with me or the site... Really enjoy the show and I hope to get on the forums finally. Keep it up!