Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oblivion Re-released for its Fifth Anniversary

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Oblivion Re-released for its Fifth Anniversary

This fifth anniversary gift may be almost four months overdue, but it's the thought that counts, right? It is not like the dark denizens of Oblivion would hold a grudge, after all.

[Link]

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    That price is INSANE!

...I bet Sheogorath is behind this.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Worth noting that the GotY Deluxe edition lacks the map and voucher for Skyrim, but retails for $5 less on the digital distribution sites.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

I find myself wanting remakes of Morrowind/Oblivion with newer tech for consoles. While both are playable now, a fantastically detailed Vvardenfell with better load times/combat/etc. would be OH-so marvelous...

Banned Banned
    I'd like a version of Oblivion that doesn't suck. But we all know that isn't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by HJ+ View Post
    I'd like a version of Oblivion that doesn't suck. But we all know that isn't going to happen.
    Stupid comment alert.

I the original and its expansions as they came out, so I won't need this, but that's a hell of a price point for the three people on the planet that haven't played it.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HJ+ View Post
    I'd like to have a version of this comment that doesn't come off as "it sucks because I say it does, and opinions = facts," but we ALL know that isn't going to happen.

Sorry about that to the mods, I needed to get that out of my system.

Banned Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    I'd like to have a version of this comment that doesn't come off as "it sucks because I say it does, and opinions = facts," but we ALL know that isn't going to happen.

Sorry about that to the mods, I needed to get that out of my system.
    Yeah, don't get your hopes up, but it is more likely than getting a version of Oblivion that doesn't suck, at least.

Prod with the Prod The Doomhammer's Avatar
    It sucks because its leveling system and level scaling is entirely broken, its dungeon and quest design is dead boring (besides one or two instances), its writing is uniformly atrocious and lacking in character, and the whole endeavor is creatively bankrupt.

Is that better? (yes i'm still bitter we didn't get the imperial province described in Morrowind.)

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doomhammer View Post
    It sucks because its leveling system and level scaling is entirely broken, its dungeon and quest design is dead boring (besides one or two instances), its writing is uniformly atrocious and lacking in character, and the whole endeavor is creatively bankrupt.
    That's why you get the PC version of Oblivion. You can mod it to high heaven so that the mechanics are better, there are some nifty story-type mods, or you can be like me, ignore the main plot, and play Catgirl on a My Little Pony instead of Oblivion.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Who needs Rinoa anyway? Rebochan's Avatar
    ....why didn't *I* think of that!? That's BRILLIANT!

Played the CRAP out of Oblivion for weeks. Haven't really done it again because I basically did EVERYTHING and the idea of doing it again was quite daunting. But it was a fun time. I also modded out everything I didn't like (level system, inventory, scaling).
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

Prod with the Prod The Doomhammer's Avatar
    That's why you get the PC version of Oblivion. You can mod it to high heaven so that the mechanics are better, there are some nifty story-type mods, or you can be like me, ignore the main plot, and play Catgirl on a My Little Pony instead of Oblivion.
    If I do play it, I mod it. Well, that is to say I play Nehrim instead because it's better, but I used to mod the hell out of Oblivion. Can't stand the unmodded game these days.

The main quest line's plot is pretty dull, but I thought the Dark Brotherhood was a lot of fun and Shivering Isles was just fantastic. The default leveling and scaling systems are pretty lame, but mods fix that easily. I probably spent over 100 hours in Oblivion, so I can't wait for Skyrim.

i can post! thanx paws! Maudren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doomhammer View Post

Is that better? (yes i'm still bitter we didn't get the imperial province described in Morrowind.)
    Since when were open world/sandbox rpgs ever known for story telling and writing? They've always been about exploring their highly detailed worlds with a character of your creation.

Also, the quest design isn't any better or worse than other rpgs. You talk to someone, the game points you in the direction to go, you kill everything in your path, then collect or kill whatever the quest giver needs killed/collected, then return for a reward and/or additional quest.

I do agree though that the leveling and scaling are absolutely terrible. You're basically punished for leveling up, because the monsters seem like they don't scale according to the player. They seem like they over scale, where as in fallout3/new vegas the enemies scale almost flawlessly with the player.

Edit: oh yeah, dark brotherhood and shivering isles were pretty awesome story/quest wise. Quest wise, the thieves guild quest line was a lot of fun. So there are at least 3 really great quest lines in the game.

Also, Sean Bean plays a character that dies in the game. WHY DOES HE ALWAYS DIE????????
    Last edited by Maudren; 07-13-2011 at 07:30 PM.
    sup?

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Oblivion was one of the first two games I got on the 360 (the other being Perfect Dark Zero), and it's stood the test of time admirably. I might get this if it has a PS3 version and has the smaller DLC packs as well.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Quote Originally Posted by Maudren View Post
    Also, the quest design isn't any better or worse than other rpgs. You talk to someone, the game points you in the direction to go, you kill everything in your path, then collect or kill whatever the quest giver needs killed/collected, then return for a reward and/or additional quest.
    Proper RPGs have choices and branching paths. See Fallout 1/2/New Vegas, Arcanum, The Temple of Elemental Evil, Mask of the Betrayer, Dragon Age etc.

I didn't think Oblivion was terrible, but it certainly wasn't anything great. I enjoyed the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests, but even those are just "alright", and nothing else in the game comes even remotely close to matching them in quality. I think the biggest problem with the game is that it completely fails at being a sandbox game, thanks to the retard-friendly quest compass and level-scaled environments. Not much point in exploring when you already know exactly where your objective is, and there's nothing else to find anyway. Terrible writing and a horrible, generic world doesn't help either.

Really, the only thing I didn't like about Oblivion was the lack of faction rivalry. One of the more interesting parts of Morrowind when I played it was the intense rivalry between the Thieves and Fighters' guilds, making it impossible to advance the whole way in both. Hopefully they bring that back for Skyrim.

Don't believe Ondore's lies!! It is actually a ridiculously convoluted process to get the $10 rebate.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconNooB View Post
    Don't believe Ondore's lies!! It is actually a ridiculously convoluted process to get the $10 rebate.
    Isn't that how all rebates work?

Who needs Rinoa anyway? Rebochan's Avatar
    Eh, I was rather annoyed at how copy-paste the dungeons were. I actually learn that the entire game's dungeons were compiled in a matter of days. They learned a lot from the process and that's why Fallout 3's exploration is better.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes