Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPGCast - Episode 185: "Selfish Sword"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 185: "Selfish Sword"

RPGCast - Episode 185: "Selfish Sword"

Whether it be April Fools jokes come to life or ancient Japanese history, the RPG Cast will cover it for you. We can also guarantee you won't hear this much discussion of internal Square Enix development speculation anywhere else.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/185

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Selfish Sword"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    That was a good talk about region locks.

I'm glad you still thought my segment was funny. I felt questionable about the jokes this time. I think I'm going to go back to the old BGM. It was better and more epic in my opinion.

SKYRIM: I'm looking forward to seeing how good the 3rd person view works. Oblivion was horrible in 3rd person in my opinion.

You guys should invite me to come with you to E3. I don't snore at all.

BOOOOOOO! I can't BELIEVE this Disgaea map nonsense!

"Nomura is insane." Hahaha!

Aw man! All of these debates would be so much better if Manuel was involved.

What time is RPGcast on next week?

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    I seriously doubt Sony made the decision here. Had that been the case, LittleBigPlanet 2 would have been pared down (the tools were extended instead), and ModNation Racers wouldn't have had the track creation suite it has.

NISA's probably just running into a tech hurdle and is too lazy to fix it like they were with the Ar Tonelico 2 bugs.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

The reason for the Netflix "price jack" has to do with licensing with some studios for their DVD's. They seem to be trying to phase out the physical disc segment. The price is only increasing if you do both, if I remember correctly. I understand some of the anger, but there's more going on behind the scenes than just greed.

That was the most combatitive I've heard yet. Macstorm needed to be on there to rein it in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    I seriously doubt Sony made the decision here.
    Based on what we know, there's few other people responsible.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

So much stuff to comment on in just the feedback section:

# Mark Zuckerberg being concerned about privacy is like Bobby Kotick complaining about game franchise whoring.

# Square's policy now is to release their games on PSN day-and-date unless a) PSN is down, or b) it's Kingdom Hearts since Disney's not a fan of this whole digital thing. Of course, some of their back catalog *coughwarofthelionscoughcrisiscorecough* aren't updated, so most of my final UMDs will be Square stuff and Lumines.

# Knowing our luck, the only idolMaster we'll ever get in the West is the one with the trap.

# Earthbound got a mistaken ESRB rating, but they would presumably keep renewing that trademark so it can be referenced in Brawl or somesuch.

# I would guess that half of the European sales for the OpRainfaill games will be importing, which would ironically (or perhaps not) hose the eventual North American sales.

# Dear Mr. Calenedar: t(-_-t)

# If Nintendo was to release an update that removes the region lock, I will not only eat my hat, but there will be pictures posted on this site. Remember, this is the same company that region locked the DSi and the 3DS against all of their prior logic.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    # Dear Mr. Calenedar: t(-_-t)
    What? We've been dicked over on releases for years. This recent stuff with Xenoblade and The Last Story? Welcome to Europe since forever.

Besides, I care less about regional releases, especially since my series of choice doesn't ever come outside Japan, and more about restrictive region locking, which Nintendo really need to drop, right now.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    # Knowing our luck, the only idolMaster we'll ever get in the West is the one with the trap.
    No one licensed the 2007 TV series Idolmaster Xenoglossia, or the one-shot video Live for You. Too early to say whether the 2011 Idolmaster TV series will be licensed. Every now and then, a show from a few years ago will get a legit region 1 DVD release, or be officially streamed on sites such as Crunchyroll.

I don't expect anyone will license the Idolmaster games. Until recently, fans' attempts to create unofficial translations seemed to be stalled, but then I noticed a thread on the /jp/ section of 4chan (warning -- never worksafe!) which sounded like a new attempt to translate the PSP versions of Idolmaster. We'll see if that project will be finished. Until then, at least fans are making promising stuff in English, like Heartache 101 ~Sour into Sweet~, a somewhat worksafe relationship game that's meant to be modded.

Well, I enjoyed the FFXI talk. I have been thinking about trying it again since last time I was on was when it first came out. I got an accidental free copy last week from Steam so maybe I will give it a month.

Also, Quin has made a good point. We are all complaining about something that happens to Europe all the time. Are we really that spoiled?
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

XBox Live: Xybec Katta
    PSN: Yeltu
    Steam: Xybec Katta

I seriously doubt Sony made the decision here. Had that been the case, LittleBigPlanet 2 would have been pared down (the tools were extended instead), and ModNation Racers wouldn't have had the track creation suite it has.

NISA's probably just running into a tech hurdle and is too lazy to fix it like they were with the Ar Tonelico 2 bugs.
    SOme of that wasn't NISA's fault. It was the fault of whichever Japanese Studio was doing the insertion of the text and not adding proper marks after the insertion. Now yes NISA coulda done better QA for the item but the actual tech hurdles were mostly on the original companies end.

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    What? We've been dicked over on releases for years. This recent stuff with Xenoblade and The Last Story? Welcome to Europe since forever.

Besides, I care less about regional releases, especially since my series of choice doesn't ever come outside Japan, and more about restrictive region locking, which Nintendo really need to drop, right now.
    Amen Brother, Amen
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

There is no place for region locking in the modern world.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    The only good reason for region locking would be to allow companies to sell games in countries with highly devalued currencies at a price that the people in those countries could afford (without the rest of us, say, mail ordering stuff from Mexico). Problem is, I don't think anybody is actually doing that, so [expletive] region locking practices.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Wow, now that Mikel's been off the show for a while you can really notice the difference when he's back. It derails into pointless bickering far more often. It's not even the fun bickering because God himself could be standing there disagreeing with him, and I really don't think he would budge an inch >XD
    Last edited by Zaku77; 07-20-2011 at 08:21 PM.
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDest...7?feature=mhee

I gotta agree with Zaku, the show's more fun and focused without Mikel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot
    The only good reason for region locking would be to allow companies to sell games in countries with highly devalued currencies at a price that the people in those countries could afford (without the rest of us, say, mail ordering stuff from Mexico). Problem is, I don't think anybody is actually doing that, so [expletive] region locking practices.
    Wanna see prices for games in Mexico? Check this out.

Run it through your favorite currency converter and have fun.

Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff noodle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xybec Katta View Post
    Well, I enjoyed the FFXI talk. I have been thinking about trying it again since last time I was on was when it first came out. I got an accidental free copy last week from Steam so maybe I will give it a month.

Also, Quin has made a good point. We are all complaining about something that happens to Europe all the time. Are we really that spoiled?
    hurray! i wasn't the only one that enjoyed the FFXI talk.

Wanna see prices for games in Mexico? Check this out.

Run it through your favorite currency converter and have fun.
    My point exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    My point exactly.
    It's even funnier when you realize that Mexico and the US are in the same region both for games and Blu-Ray. Mexicans have far easier access to cheaper American games than the rest of the world already, and they still get charged more for Mexican games (though there's probably tax concerns as well, it's well documented that US taxation is something of a cluster).

Yeah, Mexicans have it better than folks in South America, who have region locking working against them and similarly ridiculous local pricing. Most of them just mail order US consoles. That's what makes region-locking so particularly stupid in the way it's being practiced. It works against developing nations instead of helping to build customer bases there because of the stupidly high prices that companies try to charge.

Our industry is run by clowns.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    see clown are at least funny sometimes. this is just sad.