Thread: Avernum: Escape From the Pit Announced

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Avernum: Escape From the Pit Announced

Jeff Vogel has news for all you Spiderweb Software fans. Looks like it's time for a rewriting of its most popular indie game, Avernum.

Story.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

I hope he uses this new engine for the next Avadon game.

Considering Jeff reuses everything for everything, I'd say that is a safe bet. Richard Garriott he is not.
    Last edited by Drav; 07-28-2011 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    Considering Jeff reuses everything for everything, I'd say that is a safe bet. Richard Garriott he is not.
    very true, my thought there was he may have already started on it prior to this given the success of the first one.

Realistically, I don't think a company with 3 employees would be working on two games at the same time. His work on Avadon and its various ports seemed relatively sequential. I'd say whatever improvements he makes to Avadon's engine in this game (if any) will be find their way into Avadon 2.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Aaaaand, there it is. There's that same loaf of bread graphic they've been using forever in the inventory of one of the screenshots. What is it with that loaf of bread?

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

It took Jeff like 10 years to change those Avernum portraits that looked like they were drawn in MS Paint. He'll use that bread sprite until judgement day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Aaaaand, there it is. There's that same loaf of bread graphic they've been using forever in the inventory of one of the screenshots. What is it with that loaf of bread?
    I guess Jeff thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread?

New Member New Registered User
    Oddly enough, Jeff Vogel is the first to take the Japanese route of re-rebooting a game

Quote Originally Posted by Namos View Post
    Oddly enough, Jeff Vogel is the first to take the Japanese route of re-rebooting a game
    Nah, this is hardly the first Western game that's had a remake/modern refresh. It seems to happen frequently in the world of adventure games, and Quest for Glory 1 had a VGA remake, so it's not even the first RPG to do so.

New Member New Registered User
    However, as far as I know, this game would be the first to be a refresh of a refresh by a Western developer (Avernum was a refresh of the original Exile, after all), ala what Square has been doing with FF4. Although Tomb Raider might qualify.

Vogel has a talent for conceptualizing interesting worlds and RPGs. Geneforge was a very unique setting. It's why I have a hard time accepting the fact he has elected to just tread water like this.

Oh, re-rebooting. I missed that part, and I forgot about Exile, despite having played it. Heh.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Namos View Post
    However, as far as I know, this game would be the first to be a refresh of a refresh by a Western developer (Avernum was a refresh of the original Exile, after all)
    King's Quest. First version was in 1984, followed by a VGA remake in 1990. AGDInteractive did an unofficial refresh in 2001.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Well, at least he's selling the game half-price to anyone who bought the original Exile or Avernum. Actually, if you buy Exile first and then the new Avernum, you'll end up getting Exile for just $2.50 more. I have it on good authority* that Exile is substantially better than the popamole games that Jeff has made since.

*Note: may not actually be a good authority

Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    King's Quest. First version was in 1984, followed by a VGA remake in 1990. AGDInteractive did an unofficial refresh in 2001.
    I dunno if fan-refreshes count, though.