Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 49 - In Dreams

Code: Kirin Administrator JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 49 - In Dreams

Once upon a time, a man with the ability to jump on a lot of platforms and dreamwalk had an adventure. That well-regarded PlayStation game is the subject of today's spirited discussion, along with its in-name-only sequel.
    Gimme an Al! Gimme an Un! Gimme a Dra!
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    Oh my god! I can't wait to listen to this. You guys should have asked me to join this one because I'm practically the only person ON EARTH that cleared the entire game without looking at a guide even once. I was stuck at the 5 saints logic puzzle for 2 months. It was so freaking epic!

bootleg80
    Just finished this episode of rpg backtrack and pretty much agree with everything that was said about Alundra, especially the jumping. I did enjoy the story of Alundra though. This was one of the 1st games I played that treated death as depressing as it should be treated. You actually felt like the town cared that people were dying rather than the typical way it's dealt with in other titles. Lucky for me I never had the displeasure of playing Alundra 2 and after hearing how bad it sounds I think I will avoid the bleeding eyes and pass on it.

Hahaha well for starters I'm a guy. If that matters. And I really don't care how you pronounce my screen name.

I'm happy to report I have no love of Alundra 2. In fact, I didn't even like Alundra. The fact that jumping was so broken in that game made me want to die. It hurt me to dislike a working designs game, and I played it a lot, trying to like it, but I just could never enjoy it. I don't love a ton of puzzles, and Alundra had so many that I just stopped caring. I felt disconnected to the point of the game. I never felt the puzzles were justified, like they are in so many other RPGs. I was impressed by the complexity of them, but I felt that level of difficulty combined with such poor controls (or rather a requirement of perfection in controls) made the game impossible for me to like.

That said, the localization was fun, and the game's plot was interesting. There just wasn't enough of it.

I look forward to hearing about Dragon Quest from your 50th episode. YOU SHOULD ALL BE SO PROUD!

Robot Ninja Zombie Pirate Member
    After listening to the Backtrack for months and months and being very interested in what you've all had to say, I have gone on a bit of a spending spree recently.

I just picked up Valkyrie Profile 2, Tales of Legendia, Xenosaga Episode 3, Suikoden 1 and 3 (couldn't find a cheap copy of 2), and Trails in the Sky because someone mentioned how great it was. Redundancy payouts for the win! Anyway, keep suggesting games for me to buy, hording RPGs has become a freakish hobby for me.

I already own Alundra 2 but for some reason never got around to buying the original!

Code: Kirin Administrator JuMeSyn's Avatar
    I just picked up Valkyrie Profile 2, Tales of Legendia, Xenosaga Episode 3, Suikoden 1 and 3 (couldn't find a cheap copy of 2), and Trails in the Sky because someone mentioned how great it was. Redundancy payouts for the win! Anyway, keep suggesting games for me to buy, hording RPGs has become a freakish hobby for me.

I already own Alundra 2 but for some reason never got around to buying the original!
    Valkyrie Profile 2... did you already own the original? Unquestionably that's the one to start with.
    Oh, and you won't find a cheap copy of Suikoden 2. If you do, that will warrant a story everyone on these boards will be jealous of. The game is not to be had for a low price. It does make me wonder how the Backtrack figured into the purchases, since that series hasn't come under the spotlight yet.
    Alundra 2 with no experience of the first to tempt you beforehand? What an odd choice.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Robot Ninja Zombie Pirate Member
    I do own the original Valkyrie Profile... on both PS1 and PSP no less. I even intend to play it one day. In fact I dabbled with it a bit after the episode you dedicated to the series, and then got distracted by something else. As I said, I have a tendency to pick up RPGs that look interesting and then many years later I suddenly decide to play them. I have got all the way to the character quests of Legendia though, only weeks after buying it - I'm proud of myself.

I have tried to play the original Alundra several times as a rental, but due to the harsh difficulty and controls gave up each time. I really want to like it, but it is mean... a lot like some of the girls I knew in school...

I could have sworn I listened to a Suikoden episode... but perhaps my mind is playing tricks on me. It could have been discussed on ATB or Retronauts, and if that is the case, my apologies, I meant no offense!