Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breath of Fire IV Blowing Steam on PlayStation Network

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Breath of Fire IV Blowing Steam on PlayStation Network

The PlayStation Network has been quite generous with the amount of RPGs being re-released. August is already heating up as Breath of Fire IV joins the ranks.

Story

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    It's always nice to see a good game like this get a new release. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I didn't already own a perfectly useable copy of the game.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I should really pick up the old BoF games on the PSN one of these days. When I don't already have a gigantic backlog...

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    This is one of the very few games I found to be so awful and unlikeable that I wonder what kind of brain damage one needs to think it is great. Sometime we need to have a Grandma Wilson podcast where I slam RPGs I hate and have people who like them pitifully fail at defending them. Terrible as it is, I *kinda* get why some people like FF8 -- usually the argument for FF8 involves playing it in a very specific, unintuitive manner -- so that can be off the table. The Grandma Wilson podcast would involve at least BoF4, Shiren, and Tales of Legendia. I've yet to hear a remotely coherent argument for why any of those games aren't bad, although I see vague references to how great they are every now and then.

CHALLENGE ISSUED FOR BOF4!

EDIT: Just to be clear -- I consider BoF4 to be the worst traditional JRPG I've ever finished. I think I kept playing it because I thought maybe it would get better later, and because it was a very slow period for new RPGs when I played it.
    Last edited by 7thCircle; 08-02-2011 at 11:30 AM.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    You've got poor taste, Seventh. Breath of Fire IV is a lot of fun. :P

Sure, it isn't as awesome as the ever-sublime Dragon Quarter, but I'm having trouble even beginning to understand why you would single out BoF4 like that...

They need to release III on PSN as well. Then I could put it on a card and skip the long load times of the PSP version!
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDest...7?feature=mhee

It's not a new opinion. It's been on my bio page as a Least Favorite RPG since I wrote it in 2008. It was #1 until Macstorm made me play and finish Valhalla Knights 2 later that year.

I loved Dragon Quarter though. It probably helped that it was the first BoF game I played, and I had been told it was unique. My only issue with Dragon Quarter was the battle system.

I would much prefer to see 3 hit the PSN than 4. I found 4 pretty bland from start to finish. Sadly I have yet to play dragon quarter, may have to find a copy and give it a try at some point.
    Twitter: @vonbeardly just started and mostly use it to tweet about games i'm playing.
    PSN: theharv00 (blank invites will be ignored)
    http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/496/theharv00.png

Too bad Breath of Fire 3 won't be available on the Playstation Network.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Hey now, y'all, you never know about BoF3. It could be happening.

This is interesting, usually in threads like this, I see people bashing Dragon Quarter in the same way while praising Breath of Fire IV... but to be clear yes I like BoF5 much more.

If I had to figure out why people really like BoF4, it would probably come down to the split storytelling aspect. It's not original, but it was actually utilized in a way that made sense which doesn't happen nearly as often as I would hope. I notice a lot of friends who are BoF4 fans favoring of Fou-Lu and his experiences that culminate in the ending act.
    The rest of the game isn't all that bad: it had a good turn-based system that utilized the whole party instead of keeping the backline just sitting around and letting game over happen. The character stories were a bit more grounded, and their art was nice. My non-RPG fan friends consider BoF4's design/concept artwork some of the best of any Japanese RPG - they worship the artbook for it.

I dunno, to call it the WORST traditional JRPG ever is kind of... I've definitely played lots worse than this, some that many I've seen posted here as others' personal favorites. In my opinion it's just very average. It had some decent combat that allowed some non-typical strategies but not nearly the vibrancy or excitement of its predecessor of BoF3. The music is unmemorable, the graphics - even with the sharp detailed sprites - seem faded (due in no small part to the desolate setting I'm sure). Unfortunately I can't remember much more off the top of my head to defend it, but this is the lasting impression I got from the game.
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)

I thought both Dragon Quarter and BoF4 were both piles a dung on the floor.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
    I dunno, to call it the WORST traditional JRPG ever is kind of... I've definitely played lots worse than this, some that many I've seen posted here as others' personal favorites.
    I said worst that I have finished. That's a big qualifier for me because I drop games that are bad or uninteresting. Bad games that, for whatever reason, I play to completion are going to leave a much stronger negative impact on me than probably worse ones I played for 5 hours and abandoned. I also don't play games I expect to dislike (reviewing here has made some recent exceptions to that....). All told, that knocks out a lot of RPGs that are certainly worse than BoF4. Had I started BoF4 now when I have several other games to play, I would probably have dropped it halfway through and promptly forgotten about its existence. Kinda like I did to Sakura Wars 5 last month and Darksiders earlier this year.

I'm glad I've got the good sense to love all 5 games. All have great stories (except for the first), all have great music (though BoF2 was highly cliche); and all have good gameplay. What's not to like?

@7thCircle- You have not stated a remotely coherent argument as to why they are not good. Your challenge does nothing but promote arguing relatives. You can state all the reasons why you think these games are bad, but they have no factual basis behind them, and neither would any argument contrary to yours. The abstract quality of "goodness" that these games lack does not have an objective definition.

Here is my argument, "these games are good, because you cannot prove they are not."
    Check out my in-development indie-RPG, Valor Seed at: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e-playing-game

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    Ohh-ho! 7th Circle making the message boards lively! It's kind of mind-blowing to me to hear that people didn't like anything about Breath of Fire 4. The graphics, right off the bat totally captured me with the 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds. They looked beautiful. The music didn't seem forgettable at all to me. I can still remember two or three songs even today! This game was very cinematic in my opinion as well. It's kind of like watching a movie at times. Especially the intro. The crazy combo system they used for the battles was so fun. The characters all seemed quite interesting to me. I love the dog character! The master system and fishing mini-games are well refined, and to top it all off it has a dramatic story. I like drama. But yeah, there's no way we can really argue about this. 7th Circle could just take all those points and say, "No, it wasn't!" But that's all really ANYONE can do in this kind of topic. But like Chaoticprime said, what ARE your reasons for not liking it? We should start with that.

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryZoltan View Post
    Ohh-ho! 7th Circle making the message boards lively! It's kind of mind-blowing to me to hear that people didn't like anything about Breath of Fire 4. The graphics, right off the bat totally captured me with the 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds. They looked beautiful. The music didn't seem forgettable at all to me. I can still remember two or three songs even today! This game was very cinematic in my opinion as well. It's kind of like watching a movie at times. Especially the intro. The crazy combo system they used for the battles was so fun. The characters all seemed quite interesting to me. I love the dog character! The master system and fishing mini-games are well refined, and to top it all off it has a dramatic story. I like drama. But yeah, there's no way we can really argue about this. 7th Circle could just take all those points and say, "No, it wasn't!" But that's all really ANYONE can do in this kind of topic. But like Chaoticprime said, what ARE your reasons for not liking it? We should start with that.
    I love the fishing mini-game. I usually avoid such in RPGs, but something about it "hooked me."
    Check out my in-development indie-RPG, Valor Seed at: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e-playing-game

Nice, I don't really get the way Capcom releases these digitally though with BoF II being on the VC for forever now but still not the original. And now IV is coming to PSN but no mention of III.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    FINALLY they release this. Now they should give us BoF3 for the sake of all that is good in gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpalicious View Post
    Nice, I don't really get the way Capcom releases these digitally though with BoF II being on the VC for forever now but still not the original. And now IV is coming to PSN but no mention of III.
    Thats because BoF3 had a PSP remake that didn't hit the states.

http://www.amazon.com/Breath-of-Fire.../dp/B00350F75K
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D