Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gearbox Goes Back to the Borderlands

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Gearbox Goes Back to the Borderlands

Make a run for the border with Borderlands 2, but for gold and glory rather than crappy burritos. The annoying talking robot mascot is an improvement over the annoying talking chihuahua as well.

[Story]

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    *unf unf unf*

Check me out! I'm dancin' I'm dancin'!

(YAY!!!!)
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    *unf unf unf*

Check me out! I'm dancin' I'm dancin'!

(YAY!!!!)
    It was only a matter of time, but I'm still very, very happy.

The world needs more Claptrap. It needs it.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Quote Originally Posted by omegabyte View Post
    It was only a matter of time
    Haha. There's some really snarky blog posts today about how this is not a shocking announcement for anyone.

(As long as this doesn't affect the last stretch of development on Aliens: Colonial Marines...)

Who needs Rinoa anyway? Rebochan's Avatar
    And hopefully that will sweep the bitter taste of the Duke out of our mouths. Though that may take peroxide.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

Quote Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
    And hopefully that will sweep the bitter taste of the Duke out of our mouths. Though that may take peroxide.
    Even better, they could put Duke in Borderlands 2 as a cameo and let us blow his brains out. I'd go for that.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
    What Duke game? Last I knew that was still in development hell.

(In all seriousness, I think their biggest mistake with DNF was adhering religiously to the original 3DRealms design. I'll gladly give them money for a new Borderlands if that means we never have to speak of DNF again and they move onto making a proper Duke3D followup)

EDIT:

Even better, they could put Duke in Borderlands 2 as a cameo and let us blow his brains out. I'd go for that.
    If you've got an iOS device, you can always blow up his truck in Remedy's Death Rally.

To be fair, Gearbox's job was to just finish DNF, in any way possible, with the assets available.

So would I. Hmm...should I use my Flaming Rhino or Hellfire?

GOTY [insert year of release here]. Cannot wait!

I'd love to see this sequel make the single player a bit more solid. I felt the last one was great, assuming you played it co-op.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

Quote Originally Posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
    I'd love to see this sequel make the single player a bit more solid. I felt the last one was great, assuming you played it co-op.
    Heck, I played it mostly single player and still had a blast. It could certainly be improved, but the core gameplay works regardless.
    Follow me on Twitter

Hmmm, wonder if that means I'll see it at PAX?

Heck, I played it mostly single player and still had a blast. It could certainly be improved, but the core gameplay works regardless.
    Brick is pretty good for single player since he's got an ability that extends the amount of time you have before you're considered dead when you drop to 0 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by watcher View Post
    Hmmm, wonder if that means I'll see it at PAX?
    Official site says it'll be at PAX Prime in addition to Gamescom

Brick is pretty good for single player since he's got an ability that extends the amount of time you have before you're considered dead when you drop to 0 HP.
    I played as the sniper character whose name i can't remember anymore. He had a lot of helpful survival skills at his disposal, and an explosive round sniper rifle can one shot pretty much any weaker enemy, making death a lot less troublesome.
    Follow me on Twitter

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    I'm only good for it if you can be a ClapTrap this time.

Or at least have a ClapTrap pet.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

ClapTrap pet sounds like a fun idea. It follows you around, making a few smart remarks, sells ammo, health, and guns (finding a rare gun with only 1 minute left on the update timer while being short of cash is never any fun, so it would be nice to have a mobile store in the field). Still have stores in the field, of course. Sometimes it's fun making the rounds between stores. And on that note, gotta have Marcus in the game (I hope his death isn't canon).

I'm also hoping they polish up the multiplayer and Arena. It would nice to see some matchmaking and "Circle of" arenas instead of grouping up with other players and walking to the multiplayer maps, and the Underdome was pretty lame.

I must disagree. He's tough, but there are too many situations where his melee strikes and toughness won't help, like against some bosses and/or targets that can't be reached with melee attacks. His rocket build is fun, but surprisingly ineffective against the same types of enemies. Overall, I have to say he's my least favourite character and the one that gave me the hardest time.

I played as the sniper character whose name i can't remember anymore. He had a lot of helpful survival skills at his disposal, and an explosive round sniper rifle can one shot pretty much any weaker enemy, making death a lot less troublesome.
    Mordecai, and yeah, he's one of the better all around characters. I found him a little fragile, and I couldn't excel with his Gunslinger tree for some reason, but, when set up right, Bloodwing can clear out a battlefield while Mordecai snipes the tougher characters. He's also the easiest character to build into a super-damage machine (3 shot Crawmerax...it was nuts).

I put up Lilith as the best single-player character. She can deal insane damage to groups, Phasewalk is a great ability for getting out of tough situations, and SMG's can deal a ton of damage to pretty much everything. And hey, you can solo Crawmerax (legit) with her.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 08-03-2011 at 09:01 PM.

Played through single player twice as Lilith. Loved every minute. Wouldn't have it any other way to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    I'm only good for it if you can be a ClapTrap this time.
    I was secretly hoping that the Robot Revolution DLC would open up a ClapTrap class

I actually played the entire game with Roland (The Soldier) single player without any real trouble at all. I started alts so that I could multi and not mess with my SP character.

I can't wait for this game to come out. I love the hell out of Borderlands and can't wait to get back into Pandora.

Hopefully, they ditch the pre-made characters that have no real barring/footprint in the world for customizable characters. If my character isn't going to say anything or have any personal storyline for being on the planet, at least let me customize the guy/gal. That way I can feel personal investment in the character beyond what phat loots I'm getting.

Or at least if you want to have pre-made characters, let me choose their jobs and skills instead of being static locked to "This character = This look = This skillset". Or at the very very very least, give a storyline/questline reason for these people to be on Pandora and a reason to be what they are... I mean, Roland didn't even flinch when the Crimson Lance and General Knoxx invaded... Lilith didn't look for another Siren at all... Brick didn't look for his sister... They all just ran blindly for the Vault which works for Mordecai and all, but doesn't really for anybody else. Kinda defeats the purpose of having pre-made characters with backstory to me...
    Last edited by Frozenbabylon; 08-04-2011 at 11:08 AM.