Thread: Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions Now Available on iOS Devices

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions Now Available on iOS Devices

First you had Final Fantasy Tactics on the PlayStation, then the PSP, and now it can be on your iPhone or iPod Touch. Wait a little longer, and you can have it on your iPad, too.

Story
    Last edited by Strawberry Eggs; 08-04-2011 at 03:31 PM.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

PSN price: $10
    iOS price: $15

wtf
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Android now dominates the market. I know OS fragmentation is an issue with android, but I wonder when more of these gaming companies will start supporting it.

I suppose it's just so much easier when you have a common hardware to develop for. But PC developers have been dealing with this issue for decades.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    PSN price: $10
    iOS price: $15

wtf
    But FFT... on your phone.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Typho View Post
    Android now dominates the market. I know OS fragmentation is an issue with android, but I wonder when more of these gaming companies will start supporting it.

I suppose it's just so much easier when you have a common hardware to develop for. But PC developers have been dealing with this issue for decades.
    dominates? I don't think you can use the word "dominate" giving the insane number of iOS phones and iPod touches out there.

As for the game itself, I have a 3G which they apparently don't support, but it looks like it will run on it, hoping someone else will test the waters first so I can find out how slow it is.

Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    But FFT... on your phone.
    I use my phones for other things. Like Twittering, web browsing and *gasp* making phone calls. Not gonna try to run a 50-hour game on something I might have to call 911 with.

[ / handheld gaming master race ]
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    dominates? I don't think you can use the word "dominate" giving the insane number of iOS phones and iPod touches out there.

As for the game itself, I have a 3G which they apparently don't support, but it looks like it will run on it, hoping someone else will test the waters first so I can find out how slow it is.
    True, I'm not taking into account iPod touches. But, android now owns 40% market share of cell phone OSes. Compare that to apple's approximately 25%. It's not the same market as it was a year ago.

If you look at recent trends, android is consistently gaining market share while iPhone has tapered off. I just expected the software market to start realizing this same trend before now. Granted, we are seeing some things such as Sony Erikson's embrace of android, but it hasn't taken off yet, mostly due to a "niche" strategy on their part.

Be that as it may, Apple have established a stronger gaming market for their handsets - Android is like a wild west frontier where fortunes may be won or lost ...
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

The problem with Android is that it might have marketshare numbers, but for every Nexus there's a Droid Pro which has a completely different set of entry methods. Android is like Windows without the KB/M requirements.

I may pick this up whenever the iPhone 5 comes out because I'll have a gift card or two to spend money with. I'd get it now, but initial reviews are suggesting it runs poorly on the current line up of phones. Just wish Square was nice enough to release the game as a set with the iPad because as much as I love the game I won't be buying it two additional times. Also sucks that it is more expensive than the PSP version that only recently hit PSN.

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconNooB View Post
    Be that as it may, Apple have established a stronger gaming market for their handsets - Android is like a wild west frontier where fortunes may be won or lost ...
    Yeah you're right. Ironic how they were able to pull this off with their mobile devices after having so much trouble with that segment on their home computers.

Quote Originally Posted by INFYE View Post
    Just wish Square was nice enough to release the game as a set with the iPad because as much as I love the game I won't be buying it two additional times.
    They could do what Capy did with Superbrothers and release a Universal App alongside the "lite" phone only version. My understanding is that they're still working on the iPad version but they haven't said if it'll just be an update to the original version or a new app. Although judging by past releases it looks like they don't do many universal apps :\

Quote Originally Posted by Typho View Post
    Yeah you're right. Ironic how they were able to pull this off with their mobile devices after having so much trouble with that segment on their home computers.
    Not really ironic, they've put much more effort into establishing gaming on iPhones than they ever did with Macs. I remember some Mac games that could only support the most recent version of Mac OS (at that time) because that was the only version with the right Open GL patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I remember some Mac games that could only support the most recent version of Mac OS (at that time) because that was the only version with the right Open GL patches.
    Welll..... there are certainly some games that require the most recent iOS version, and there's a strong risk that Apple isn't going to provide updates for older phones given a lot of the performance issues that hit the 3G with iOS4.

I never did quite understand why the Mac wasn't more of a hotbed for gaming in the last two decades. You'd think with much more standardized hardware configurations it'd have the same appeal as consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    Welll..... there are certainly some games that require the most recent iOS version, and there's a strong risk that Apple isn't going to provide updates for older phones given a lot of the performance issues that hit the 3G with iOS4.

I never did quite understand why the Mac wasn't more of a hotbed for gaming in the last two decades. You'd think with much more standardized hardware configurations it'd have the same appeal as consoles.
    It could have just been a problem of distribution, given pretty much the only place you could even find Mac games was at Apple stores. With the shift in PC gaming towards digital distribution, Mac gaming seems to be in a better place, with multiple digital distributors to choose from. Still it could have done better earlier if Apple had been willing to do something as simple as keeping their graphics api up to date.