Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odoroita - Japandemonium for August 5th, 2011

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar

Odoroita - Japandemonium for August 5th, 2011

Bottoms up! Time for a column.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    I really want to try that flavour of Pepsi. Badly.

Also that crossover game's cast seems pretty fabulous. There's some oldie but goodies on that roster, and I like knowing that the battle system is similar to that of Valkyrie Profile.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I've seen most of those series in Heroes Phantasia, and indeed, two of them (Slayers and R.O.D) are among my most favorite anime. As with such crossovers, though, this game will likely never see a release outside of Japan.
    Last edited by Strawberry Eggs; 08-04-2011 at 07:05 PM.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    I've seen most of those series in Heroes Phantasia, and indeed, two of them (Slayer and R.O.D) are among my most favorite anime. As with such crossovers, though, this game will likely never see a release outside of Japan.
    or if it does, the VA work with be ****. Think Cross Edge and Chaos Wars

and did i read that right, Japan got the 3rd Ar Tonelico game after we did?
    Last edited by TheAnimeMan; 08-04-2011 at 07:07 PM.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

I think we can rule out an "if it does" scenario. This has licensing rights nightmare written all over it.

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    This goes back quite a few years, but did you ever report on Tengai Makyou: Ziria? I can't help but wonder why Hudson ever developed it for the 360 when it never received a release outside of Japan.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    You know, I always hoped that Banpresto would create a SRW-style game for anime like s-CRY-ed and Mai-Hime, and now they've gone and done it. Sure, its not at all what I imagined (what I wanted would include more Heroman and Tiger and Bunny), but its still got the two series I really wanted to see. This is really cool.

The screenshots need more Kagutsuchi, but I'll happily accept an image of what looks like Kazuma punching Ryuho in the face.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimeMan View Post
    and did i read that right, Japan got the 3rd Ar Tonelico game after we did?
    Nah, looks like it's a "The Best" edition. Was originally released in Japan in January 2010 (14 months before rest of the world).
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinBahamut View Post
    You know, I always hoped that Banpresto would create a SRW-style game for anime like s-CRY-ed and Mai-Hime, and now they've gone and done it. Sure, its not at all what I imagined (what I wanted would include more Heroman and Tiger and Bunny), but its still got the two series I really wanted to see. This is really cool.
    I know there's a doujin group that tried to get close to this with something called Battle Moon Wars (Nasuverse done in SRW-style), and there was another group that ripped the Alpha Gaiden engine and made Super Touhou Wars.

Either way, the cast list makes me wanna import Heroes Fantasia.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Yeah, looks like everybody in Japan has been on vacation except a bunch of unfortunate marketing interns in charge of releasing "best of" versions of old games. :-p

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by JuMeSyn View Post
    This goes back quite a few years, but did you ever report on Tengai Makyou: Ziria? I can't help but wonder why Hudson ever developed it for the 360 when it never received a release outside of Japan.
    That was before my time here, but one of my predecessors covered it.

I've also only seen Slayers and Read or Die in the list, but the sheer awesomeness of Yomiko and Lina in the same party is pretty overwhelming. 8-)

Btw, it looks like it'll be multiple characters per franchise - one of the screenshots has Gourry (and Filia?) from Slayers in a party as well.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    That's actually Melissa, a character from Rune Soldier, not Filia.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Yeah, looks like everybody in Japan has been on vacation except a bunch of unfortunate marketing interns in charge of releasing "best of" versions of old games. :-p
    They released Half Minute Hero II (aka Hero 30 SECOND) yesterday (or whenever....stupid time zone thing!). The first game was one of my favorite games, period.

I made a list of JRPGs released or due to be released later this year sorted by platform. It is probably already out of date though.

These look like first release versions in August:
    08/04: Half Minute Hero II
    08/11: Super Pokemon Scramble
    08/18: Neptune Mk2; Growlanser IV Over Reloaded (looks like a re-release of a PS2 game)
    08/25: Black Rock Shooter: The Game
    Count: 5

I am also thinking about getting Idolmaster 2 PS3 when it comes out in Oct (not an RPG).
    Last edited by flamethrower; 08-05-2011 at 09:14 AM.

I wants the mashup. Orphen + Yomiko + Lina = WIN.

Also, Battle Moon Wars is a lot of fun. Highly recommended to anyone who likes SRW and the Nasuverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    That's actually Melissa, a character from Rune Soldier, not Filia.
    And this is why I only mentioned the characters that were actually named in the scans I wouldn't know most of them from Adam, so there's no way I'd be able to identify others just from screenshots, lol.

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    dude, you guys are over-looking the tag team of chinese electric batman and a gundam-obsessed alien frog. AWESOME!

well well, look who it is randal77's Avatar
    Oho yeah, Heroes Phantasia. I was wondered why they didn't make a crossover game for animes like this. Looking forward to Slayers and Orphen. At first I was worried that there was just going to be one character from each series playable, but I can see both Lina and Gourry from Slayers in the screenshots there so it's all good!

And yeah, I'm expecting a couple of "Banpresto original" characters and villans to tie the whole thing together, in the same way SRW does it.

One question - is there any hints that there will be more animes in this game than just these ten? Or is it pretty clear cut that this is the final roster?

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Now I want to go watch Slayers again.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance