Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector's Edition Announced

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Collector's Edition Announced

Want to have a plastic dragon sitting atop a wall staring endlessly at your every move? Bethesda has you covered.

[NEWS]

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    As I said on another forum site, no way in hell I'm getting that. Now if there was a limited edition sold for $10 more that comes with the soundtrack, we'd be talking.

I like dragons, I like maps and I like Elder Scrolls games, so why do I not like this collector's edition?

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    I'm not a fan of western companies making CEs that pack in multiple expensive toys for double the price. I'd love to own the art book, but not the big tacky dragon. I'm not paying $130 for the CE just for an art book when the PC version of Skyrim will be $50 or lower in December. I do like that western RPGs are finally packing in goodies and even some free tangible ones, but for them to get my money they need to stick to cheaper packages. Bethesda did a great job with the Fallout 3 and New Vegas CEs that had a good variety of cheap extras without doubling the price. The Deus Ex CE is a solid example of an upcoming set that does things right.

By the way, Amazon has the US version of the set at $149.99. I hope that's an error on their part because that's ridiculous.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    inb4 "Skyrim dragon is watching you masturbate" jokes.

But yeah, there's absolutely no way in hell I'm buying this. I'll just take the standard game, thank you.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Monster Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thCircle View Post
    By the way, Amazon has the US version of the set at $149.99. I hope that's an error on their part because that's ridiculous.
    It's not an error, Gamestop too is listing it at 149.99 USD.

Quote Originally Posted by FudorahZubat View Post
    It's not an error, Gamestop too is listing it at 149.99 USD.
    I think 7th means an error in the article, which says it's going for $129.99

What a load of crap. Why couldn't they have just done an $80 version!? I have a large artbook collection, and I'd really like to have that one, but it's just too much. Maybe this will be like every other $150 collector's edition and be $60 within 4 months lol
    Check out my fledgling youtube channel. It's small now, but if I get more subscribers I will start doing more with it, so stay tuned!

http://www.youtube.com/user/HellDest...7?feature=mhee

Heck even Duke Nukem Balls of Steel had MORE then this CE does. 150 for what really is mostly a dragon bust is BAHHHH. Give me another Starcraft 2 CE anyday
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

FAO Bethesda: other games have dragons too.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    FAO Bethesda: other games have dragons too.
    Don't give BioWarEA any ideas for DA3.

I'm pretty sure there won't be any ideas in DA3.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    I'm pretty sure there won't be any ideas in DA3.
    Oh snap!

Sidenote: The info I got gave stated a price of $129.99 in the US, but who knows, maybe the additional $20 makes the plastic extra shiny or something.

EDIT: Strange as it sounds, they could learn something from Square Enix Europe (and some other European publishers) about special editions.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    It seems like there's some kind of competition going on for who can offer the most outrageously priced special edition, between this and the Star Wars:TOR one. Not that it affects me, since my Bethesda game policy is to buy the sucker about two years after launch when the "GOTY" edition comes out with all the DLC/expansiony stuff bundled together and it goes on sale on Steam for $15-$20.

I've got your number, Bethesda!

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

LoL. Yeah, that's very overpriced. Hope there's a mid-tier version with just the artbook/soundtrack or something. I wouldn't mind the dragon, but that's gotta be most of what's jacking the price up in additional shipping/packaging costs, etc.

I'm not a fan of western companies making CEs that pack in multiple expensive toys for double the price. I'd love to own the art book, but not the big tacky dragon. I'm not paying $130 for the CE just for an art book when the PC version of Skyrim will be $50 or lower in December. I do like that western RPGs are finally packing in goodies and even some free tangible ones, but for them to get my money they need to stick to cheaper packages. Bethesda did a great job with the Fallout 3 and New Vegas CEs that had a good variety of cheap extras without doubling the price. The Deus Ex CE is a solid example of an upcoming set that does things right.

Finally? Do you mean "again"? I know my older copies of games like Ultima 3 came with multiple books, separate printed spells books for clerics/wizards, a guide to sosaria, and a cloth map. I agree with you absolutely though. The collector's editions for their past games were actually quite nice. Even Oblivion came with the exceedingly clever "pocket guide to the empire" in it's collector's edition. I don't know what they were thinking... the pocket guide (in newer form) was ALL I wanted in the Skyrim collector's edition.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    You know, it did occur to me after I posted that it needed the word "again" to be accurate and I considered editing it. For my life as a gamer, I didn't get a PC until 1998 and by then goodies were a thing of the past. I have 1 cloth map for Might and Magic VI, and that's it. Although compared to today's manuals, PC game manuals as recently as 2003-ish look like free goodies compared to today's crap. The writing in PC manuals used to be really great too.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    I think the CE "fad" is that companies are realizing they can get "serious" gamers to pay double the price for a game by only adding about 25-50% to the manufacturing costs. Especially when you factor in things like EA willfully bundling in "exclusive" DLC which has a really really questionable value. I mostly grab CE's/Digital Deluxe editions for making of vignettes, soundtracks and art books. Really could care less about statues and night vision goggle toys which seem to be the main thing these days. Kinda ridiculous you can't get a lesser package without the statuette.

Starcraft II had a really affordable Collector's Edition, which easily added about $30+ value to the package while only charging an extra $20 over the standard edition. That was pretty sweet.

You know, it did occur to me after I posted that it needed the word "again" to be accurate and I considered editing it. For my life as a gamer, I didn't get a PC until 1998 and by then goodies were a thing of the past. I have 1 cloth map for Might and Magic VI, and that's it.
    The only "feelies" I have are the Neverwinter Nights cloth map, and the little feelies pack Telltale sold on their site for Sam & Max Season 2. I still regret not picking up the pack Kingdom of Loathing were offering for a while, although I didn't have the spare money at the time for it. EDIT: Oh and a couple of Atlus OSTs/art books. Forgot about those.

Although compared to today's manuals, PC game manuals as recently as 2003-ish look like free goodies compared to today's crap. The writing in PC manuals used to be really great too.
    The SimCity 2000 manual is the manual to rule them all. Actually a lot of the manuals at Maxis were good up until The Sims Deluxe Edition. They went downhill from there unfortunately

Also, I was also disappointed with the lack of a real Starcraft II manual after the amount of time I spent reading and re-reading the Warcraft, Warcraft II, Starcraft and Diablo II manuals in the 90's.
    Last edited by shoptroll; 08-09-2011 at 05:24 AM.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    The SimCity 2000 manual is the manual to rule them all.
    **** yes. I wish I still had my copy of it. The CD (My first CD-ROM PC Game) has survived until 2011, but the manual went missing years ago.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    You know, it did occur to me after I posted that it needed the word "again" to be accurate and I considered editing it. For my life as a gamer, I didn't get a PC until 1998 and by then goodies were a thing of the past. I have 1 cloth map for Might and Magic VI, and that's it. Although compared to today's manuals, PC game manuals as recently as 2003-ish look like free goodies compared to today's crap. The writing in PC manuals used to be really great too.
    Heh heh, you weren't PC gaming during the days when the manuals actually contained the bulk of the text for some games, so you'd do something in the game and it'd say, "read page 126" and you'd have to go look up page 126 in your manual to see what happened. We didn't get too many boxed goodies back then, though. That really was mostly a 1990's thing, when companies figured they might as well fill the giant boxes they were creating in order to get attention on crowded store shelves. That escalated into an increasing box-size arms race until retailers decided to save a few billion trees and their own sanity by implementing an industry-wide box size limit. That limit appears to have been relaxed now, as there aren't enough PC game boxes lining shelves to worry about it if some CE's are creeping back into giganticism.

And to get back on topic, I now know who is buying this package. People who feel like this guy from 1up, who appears to have had a sexual experience with his Skyrim demo.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance