Thread: Ubisoft Delays Might & Magic Heroes VI Again

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar

Ubisoft Delays Might & Magic Heroes VI Again

Delays are common in this industry, and for Might and Magic Heroes VI it's the second one already. At least you'll only have to wait one extra month this time.

Story
    Last edited by Strawberry Eggs; 08-08-2011 at 10:25 AM.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

With a recent string of delay announcements in the video gaming industry, especially the PSVita, White Knight Chronicles II (expected to be released on September 13, can't wait), and now Might and Magic Heroes 6, I'm starting to wonder why the industry doesn't make a good effort to release their products on time?

In other industries, if you don't release a product on time, you're going to lose money or even market share. Think about Research In Motion, the Blackberry maker, and their struggles to compete in the smart phone market.

Nothing good has ever come from a rushed game. Take a look at Final Fantasy XIII: it was extremely polished and streamlined, but the lack of substance made it clear the devs had a very narrow focus on the game just to avoid the same string of delays as FF XII had. As an rpgamer, I want my games to have substance and depth, even if they take a longer development time than other type of games. Otherwise I feel cheated, no matter how beautiful or polished the game is.

I'm more than happy to give the devs of Heroes VI all the time they need as long as the game satisfies me once I finally get to play it. I've had enough of disappointments in my favorite game series already...

If you're intending to buy no matter what, you can pre-purchase and play the beta. You don't have to wait AND they get extra dev time. However, the beta version might not be very enjoyable.

Most industries aren't pressured to give a release date to something and when not held to it aren't lambasted. See OS launches (notably windows), technology launches (notably iPhone), etc etc etc.

Also, the video game industry has to deal with an obnoxious string of other parties. Apple doesn't need permission from anyone to launch another iPod. Conversely, the number of games delayed because Sony has a stick up their *** for some minor detail is astounding.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    If you're intending to buy no matter what, you can pre-purchase and play the beta. You don't have to wait AND they get extra dev time. However, the beta version might not be very enjoyable.
    Actually, the beta is down right now and will re-open in a couple of weeks I read.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I have no problem with a game that's being delayed because balance issues and bugs turned up in the Beta. It's nice to see the Beta being used as Beta instead of as just a server load test or free publicity or whatever. Responing to player feedback and fixing issues before launch is a good thing.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Indeed. Also worth noting that this time they didn't need a fan petition to convince Ubisoft to delay the game. Props to Ubi, and I'm glad they pushed it back this far, as the original release date was incredibly close to Human Revolution.

I'll take a delay over a rushed game any day. In the long term, delays aren't nearly as bad for the industry as flawed games.

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever." - Shigeru Miyamoto

This has been your moment of zen for today.