Thread: Fallout: New Vegas Lonesome Road Gets Derailed

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Fallout: New Vegas Lonesome Road Gets Derailed

Looks like the Lonesome Road is about to get a tad lonelier, as Bethesda has announced some bad news for Fallout fans. On the other hand, it gives us some more time to cuddle with our brains in Old World Blues.

Story

Not an issue with code or content? That makes it sound like a marketing/release-window kind of thing.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Otherwise known as "oh crap we shouldn't release this near the end of August."

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    Sounds to me like some form of Microsoft/Sony certification thing or approval process went awry...

Isn't Bethesda currently suing Interplay over something Fallout related? Could that maybe be why?

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freykin View Post
    Isn't Bethesda currently suing Interplay over something Fallout related? Could that maybe be why?
    Nah, that's been going on forever, and is over Fallout Online. It has nothing to do with this game.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Ah, just heard mention of it recently, so thought it might be related.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Less content, more bug fixes, please.

Having played through all three current DLC packs, I didn't have technical issues when any of them. That said, I didn't have a ton with the main game either until the last mission.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Maybe it's my 360, but I've crashed during every play session, sometimes more than 5 times in the span of 10 minutes. Also, I had this same issue with the PS3 version of F3. Either there's a difference between console batches or you have some video game voodoo magic to back you up.

well well, look who it is randal77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jitawa View Post
    Not an issue with code or content? That makes it sound like a marketing/release-window kind of thing.
    This really makes me wonder what it could be. It has to be some sort of random Senior Management decision. Maybe they want the income for this to be in a different period, for some sort of accounting purposes? Or is there some other big releases at the end of August that they're trying to avoid being released at the same time with?

Hmm....
    Wait a second... If you're here, than that means... oh boy

Quote Originally Posted by TwinBahamut View Post
    Sounds to me like some form of Microsoft/Sony certification thing or approval process went awry...
    I'm thinking it's something along these lines. If it's not code, and it's not content, there really isn't much left for it to be. Unless they're separating "code" from "bug fixes." OWB crashed a lot on me.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Since we're all speculating, my guess is they realized announcing several monthly DLCs at once wasn't a good idea for sales. People like me will wait for all of them to come up and then buy the best ones and play them in 1 go instead of getting them immediately. Maybe after Old World Blues got glowing reviews they want to give it time to sell well before bringing out another.

I thought about the financial quarter or year ending thing, but Obsidian is a private company. It's public companies that often have to keep a close eye on quarter ends so investors don't get spooked. The only issue Obsidian could have is if it impacts taxes somehow -- maybe they're worried all the DLC releases and DS3 will bring in too much revenue and impact the taxes it pays? I know nothing about corporate tax rules (aside from the fact that most keep companies from paying taxes so corporate tax rates are substantially lower than individual tax rates) so I'm not sure how valid this is.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

I just don't really think that they wanted to be in the way of Deus Ex coming out. I'm not sure how well it's going to do, but most gamers aren't going to want to spend 10 bucks on something for last years game when the new hotness is sitting right in front of them.

Not me. I wants both.

I'm with you all, tossing out all the DLC one right after another seems pointless. So they likely wanted to give the OWB some space and then it frees them from DEHR as well. Old World Blues was great, so not a bad idea.

Another thought is that Fallout: New Vegas jumped back in the top 10 NPD list for June due to a price drop and sales, so maybe they want to give the lower priced version more room before releasing the inevitable GotY edition.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Have towel will travel Moderator shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinBahamut View Post
    Most likely Microsoft given the number of other developers who have griped about their certification process.

I'm betting Human Revolution is more likely the culprit.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!