Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 51 - Benjamin's B-Movie

Cosmo Nova RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 51 - Benjamin's B-Movie

Remember when Squaresoft was trying to get gamers outside Japan interested in RPGs? Two of those on the SNES spawned some memories, and they're ready for sharing.
    Abbeviated FFMQ and SoE.
    'The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread.' So this is it, huh folks?

Can't wait to see what you think about them, I know that I did like Final Fantasy Mystic quest, did play that game like 3-4 times, never manage to beat Secret of Evermore though, but I still like it, I been to up the 3rd world I think, might have to go back to it and beat it!

Devious Dungeon Master RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    The music in SoE was really nice!

Armoured Priest
    Yeah, SoE had awesome music. Early effort for Jeremy Soule. For those that don't know, Mr Soule went on to do the music for the Elder Scrolls games.

I have to ask if Mystic Quest didn't beat Bioware to the punch in having an alternate sexuality on the main character. At the very least, that's my interpretation of the ending.

Also, the battle music didn't get enough love. It made jamming the B button at a battlefield that much more fun.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    Also, the battle music didn't get enough love. It made jamming the B button at a battlefield that much more fun.
    I thought as a whole, Mystic Quest had a very nice soundtrack.

One thing that didn't get mentioned, as far as I remember, was that you could set your partner to be controlled by the computer. It didn't work very well as your teammate had a tendency to spam high level magic every round until they ran out. This was rather annoying since the item needed to restore magic wasn't readily available in stores until the third or fourth town. Needless to say, AI party member didn't get used very often.

Time for the history lesson part now.

Generally speaking, Old English is the English language spoken from sometime after the Roman withdrawal from the British Isles to around the mid 12th century. This is language that the epic poem Beowulf was written. Old English is almost completely incomprehensible to the modern reader or speaker.

Middle English developed from Old English after the Norman conquest in which William I was crowned king in 1066. Middle English is the language of Geoffrey Chaucer and the unknown poet of 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight'. By the 15th century Early Modern English had started to evolve out of Middle English. Sir Thomas Malory's 'Le Morte Darthur' was written in this very Early Modern English or very late Middle English.

By the time of Shakespeare of the late 16th and early 17th century, Early Modern English, the same type that was being aped in the first two Dragon Warrior games, had evolved.

The Dragon Slayer mention is appreciated, albeit a bit harsh.The only reason I mentioned it (besides the episode title) was because a lot of last episode was spent discussing the history of the JRPG. I simply felt it was unfair to give ALL credit to Dragon Quest (quote "the first JRPG") when Falcom had been making RPGs years before. Dragon Quest is certainly the most influential one, however, as we all know.

And Dragon Slayer may suck today (it was 1984, people!), but Xanadu and Sorcerian remains some of my favorite Falcom titles. Highly advanced for their time.

Again, no offense intended. Great episode.
    Last edited by Quintet_Fan; 08-15-2011 at 08:05 PM.

I have to admit that being pressed on the Falcom game was not what I expected. Instead, I thought somebody would have wanted a name drop for the 1981 movie starring a young Peter MacNicol, which has aged quite well and predates all JRPGs. It wasn't particularly influential in the RPG world though.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Man, I wish I could've been online for this one...

Robot Ninja Zombie Pirate Member
    Didn't Dragon Slayer eventually become the Legend of Heroes series?

Quote Originally Posted by Wibblefish View Post
    Didn't Dragon Slayer eventually become the Legend of Heroes series?
    Yes, the first two Legend of Heroes games were titled Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes & Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes II. The Legend of Heroes series dropped the association with the Dragon Slayer series.

Robot Ninja Zombie Pirate Member
    I have one small request for future Backtracks. If you could have Sam Marshmallow mention boobs somewhere in every episode? It makes me giggle like a 5 year old. If she can't be on an episode in person, prerecorded boobs are fine, thanks.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Just had a chance to listen through the MQ section (not much computer time this week...) Something that I think no one mentioned: MQ was later released in Japan as Final Fantasy USA: Mystic Quest. I felt insulted the first time I saw that in a store.

Final Fantasy USA, what a telling statement of how Japan viewed the game. Secret of Evermore didn't even see a Japanese release though, so we'll never know what Squaresoft Japan would have called it.