Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo to Raise the Skyward Sword in November

Familiar Face Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar

Nintendo to Raise the Skyward Sword in November

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is set to soar this coming November. Set before Ocarina of Time, it's the earliest game in the series chronologically ... maybe.

Story
    "Life will be a very great deal less weird without you!"

"Do you know I think that's the nicest thing anybody's ever said to me?

Have towel will travel Moderator shoptroll's Avatar
    Huh. So this is one of those few Zelda games that are set in the same world as another?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

As a minor form of protest in Nintendo's localization miasma, i'm buying this one used.

It's not much big N, but it'll make me feel better.
    A critic is someone who stands on the mountaintop high above to watch a battle, and then comes down to shoot the survivors.
    -Hemingway

Resident Cannibal Tequila Mockingbird's Avatar
    I'm apprehensive in regards to "[laying] the foundation for the events in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" really? a foundation? I always felt the mythology behind OoT was pretty simple. 3 Goddesses fool around make a world and abandon it.

Kidding.

I'm not sure OoT needs a prequel. If this game is what that is. Although, there is something to be said for the sequel. And, while some might say Majora's mask was lacking, I rather enjoyed it and it's probably my favorite of the Zelda console games.

But, I'll be picking up Skyward Sword on release. Because, it's almost more about having every zelda game in my VG library, than actual content. Damn my magpie-esque tendencies.

Edit: I'm totally itching for another handheld Zelda game, I really liked Phantom Hour Glass and Spirit Tracks.

Edit 2: I take it all back... Just semi-spoiled the plot of Skyward Sword for myself on Wikipedia and I think this prequel will be really cool in fleshing out the world of Hyrule. I see the light. And it's intriguing!
    Last edited by Tequila Mockingbird; 08-18-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Moderator Moderator flamethrower's Avatar
    I'm sure it will be worth it. I find it hard to imagine how it could not be. Their last four console Zelda versions were all excellent. They know what they doing.

The links between the Zelda games exist, if you ask the fans. Unlike most people, I think the fan's opinion is more important than that of the developer because the fan bases their opinion on what is actually in the game. I thought Miyamoto jossed the idea that all Zelda games (most of them anyway) have a defined chronological order. However, the actual content of the games suggest the order put forward by the fans (but not very strongly). I don't think the links between the games are very important compared to the actual content of each game.

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    I'm sure it will be worth it. I find it hard to imagine how it could not be. Their last four console Zelda versions were all excellent. They know what they doing.
    Truth. I had fun with Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. I take back my comment about "regardless of content" It's Zelda! How could it not be fun!
    Last edited by Tequila Mockingbird; 08-18-2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typo

Ahhhhh! I'm all of a sudden getting really excited I want to go back and play the games all over again. >_>;;;; realistically... maybe just the console games.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    I'm still on the fence. The flying looks like it could grate on me quick a la the sailing in wind waker, and while the combat is interesting, it sounds like it'll be a pain if you don't have the steadiest hands in the world.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    I've totally been on media blackout for this one... Very much looking forward to it.

Also, Zelda timelines are all messed up. They don't work, and never will. :P

Quote Originally Posted by TwinBahamut View Post
    Also, Zelda timelines are all messed up. They don't work, and never will. :P
    My girlfriend had an alternate explanation for the timelines: Each game is a retelling of the same hero legend by a different culture. It's simple and cleanly explains why a lot of them feel like a rehash of the same subject. No messy timeline.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    My girlfriend had an alternate explanation for the timelines: Each game is a retelling of the same hero legend by a different culture. It's simple and cleanly explains why a lot of them feel like a rehash of the same subject. No messy timeline.
    Somebody should spread this theory to the far reaches of the internet...

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    That theory has been around since before OoT was released, but it just can't seem to compete with some fans' desire to connect Zelda games in all kinds of weird ways.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinBahamut View Post
    it just can't seem to compete with some fans' desire to connect Zelda games in all kinds of weird ways.
    Probably for the same reason people don't like ambiguous endings. We just like stuff to be wrapped up with a bow on it.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    My theory is that "Princess Zelda" is actually an immeasurably powerful demon with a bad case of narcissism. She travels the multiverse, finding lands ripe for epic conflict, then inserts herself into the situation. She secretly provides a powerful artifact to a nobody with wicked ambitions, setting the land up for a fall. She then anoints a "chosen one" who is young and naive enough to follow her without question. She takes sadistic glee in providing this hero with a ridiculous getup and the conviction that he can save the world, then manipulates things so that he's able to do so despite all odds being against him. She usually has to babysit him during the final fight against a foe that's far too powerful for him, but she derives great pleasure out of playing the fair princess for whom these hapless lads will sacrifice anything. Zelda's conflicts have a tendency to cause widespread misery and tremendous cataclysm across the lands she infests, but that only feeds her ego.

Ahem. I do enjoy a good Zelda game, and am very much looking forward to this one. Too bad Nintendo has otherwise given up on the Wii.
    Last edited by Ocelot; 08-19-2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Speeling!

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

That's beautiful.

Zelda as a siren of sorts makes so much sense.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    But how does that theory fit into the CDi games where Zelda is saving Link?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Heretic. Blasphemer. Do not mention those.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Oh god WHY!? WHY did you have to say it!? IT BURNS!

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    we did mention she was a demon. the cd-i alone could be proof of that.

Zelda is a franchise I have always had a hard time playing. I know it's silly, but I just can't play Zelda games like I can others. And now that I'm older, I still can't. I hope someday I get over this hump so that I can actually enjoy playing a Zelda game. So, please everyone, play the new Zelda, and kick butt for people like me who would love to conquer a Zelda game, but just can't.

...or if I'm the only one in this group, do it for me. Please?
    Play whatever makes you happy.