Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RPGamer - 2011 and Beyond: The RPGs We Want Now

RPGamer - 2011 and Beyond: The RPGs We Want Now

As we get ready for the rush of games coming at the end of 2011, we look at those and beyond to highlight our most wanted RPGs. There is a lot of variety in the upcoming months, so hopefully there will be something for everybody.

To the RPG list!
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

All my most anticipated games are honourable mentions. Last Story is my pick of the litter, with Dead Island sating my WRPG lusts.

I am also intensely curious about XIII-2, but after XIII I am a little gun shy.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Torchlight 2 / D3 are my mains right now. It's looking increasingly like D3 is going to slip and Torchlight 2 will scratch the Diablo itch until that comes out. And for $20 it'll be a nice companion piece for those times when I'm away from an Internet connection or just want to muck around with some mods. Win-win.

Skyward Sword is probably a pre-order from Amazon for me.

Curious about Skyrm (hearing good stuff about this) and XIII-2 (still hoping S-E gets out of their rut this generation) although I don't see myself waiting in line for either of them.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Skyward Sword does sound tantalising to me, but motion controls dissipate my every intention of playing it.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

My top picks were Reckoning, Trails in the Sky SC, The Last Story, and Dark Souls. Xenoblade would have been a pick, too, had I got this done before it was released in Europe.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Dark Souls and D3 for me. My Problem with Torchlight 2 is that Torchlight 1 was, if anything, Diablo 0.5...good for the $3 I spent on it, but not good enough to stop me from picking up D2 again. Unless it's a huge improvement, I'd rather wait and save my money for the real deal.

Edit: Also wish that Borderlands 2 had been officially announced before this feature was put together. It's definitely on my "beyond" list.
    Last edited by CofLSilk; 08-29-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconNooB View Post
    Skyward Sword does sound tantalising to me, but motion controls dissipate my every intention of playing it.
    I played the GC version of Twilight Princess. I bought the Wii version for hacking purposes and played the first hour. The controls didn't seem too bad. It could get old over the course of a 40-hour game though.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    The sword controls on the Wii version weren't terrible, aside from trying to use the nunchuk for the shield. That had like a 25% success rate for me. I'm hoping Skyward Sword has better motion controls than "waggle = push button B" though.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Reckoning is shaping up to be our staff's next Back Sigil. It started out on the obscure side. We internally built up a lot of hype for it amongst ourselves. We got to visit the developers. We wanted more people to be hyped about it so it gets more attention on the site. Hopefully the end result is better for Reckoning than it was for Black Sigil.

And I know Reckoning isn't nearly as obscure as Black Sigil, however within their subgenres they're similar; I doubt many gamers in NA would put Reckoning on top of their hype lists with so many major western RPGs on the horizon.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thCircle View Post
    Reckoning is shaping up to be our staff's next Back Sigil. It started out on the obscure side. We internally built up a lot of hype for it amongst ourselves. We got to visit the developers. We wanted more people to be hyped about it so it gets more attention on the site. Hopefully the end result is better for Reckoning than it was for Black Sigil.

And I know Reckoning isn't nearly as obscure as Black Sigil, however within their subgenres they're similar; I doubt many gamers in NA would put Reckoning on top of their hype lists with so many major western RPGs on the horizon.
    I see your point. But in this case, we're not alone. If you follow the hype for this out of gamescom, you'll see that it's not just me being crazy. I know what you mean though, it's a new IP and therefore all the major existing franchises typically get hyped more. This case, a few of us have seen it, we've watched the trailers. It might not be good, but we're excited about it. This time we're not alone hyping an indie DS game. Break away from the sheep that only have interest in the same series and get your eyes on this.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

At the risk of seeming cliche, I'll got with Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim. Dead Island and Dark Souls seem interesting too, and I'll probably eventually grab XIII-2 (after rebuying/finishing XIII :P).

Maybe I'm just really out of the loop, but I didn't even know there was a sequel to Demon's Souls coming and I really wanted to play that but didn't have a PS3. I see that this one is coming to PC and I'm pretty hyped. That, Skyrim and ToA top my list.

Quote Originally Posted by CofLSilk View Post
    Dark Souls and D3 for me. My Problem with Torchlight 2 is that Torchlight 1 was, if anything, Diablo 0.5...good for the $3 I spent on it, but not good enough to stop me from picking up D2 again. Unless it's a huge improvement, I'd rather wait and save my money for the real deal.

Edit: Also wish that Borderlands 2 had been officially announced before this feature was put together. It's definitely on my "beyond" list.
    You are going to want to look at Path of Exile. It was my favorite surprise of PAX. It's like Diablo 2.5; the big difference being that the skill system is similar to FF7's materia system, though more robust, and it has a passive skill/attribute system similar to FFX's grid. It's quite interesting and versatile and provides for far more combinations than Diablo II's skill trees. And they're making it free to play. And it's a hell of a lot more fun to play than Torchlight.

Honestly I want The Last Story but Solatorobo gonna be great fun when I'm running around town
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    The sword controls on the Wii version weren't terrible, aside from trying to use the nunchuk for the shield. That had like a 25% success rate for me. I'm hoping Skyward Sword has better motion controls than "waggle = push button B" though.
    Journalist reports on the motion control for Skyward Sword are quite positive, including from people who hated the TP motion controls. Plus, if you've never played with a Wii Motion Plus, the accuracy is far better and you can do a lot more with it. I agree on hoping that the nunchuck shield isn't in, though. I've played 2-3 games that want you to do that, and it just doesn't work.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Lemme think here... of the main list all I want is Mass Effect 3, though I do have mild interest in Solatorobo and Loh: SC.

From the honorable mentions: Totori and Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny for sure, with mild interest in Fate/Extra and Persona 2: Innocent Sin.

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    My most wanted is definitely Trails in the Sky SC, followed closely behind by Tales of Xillia which is understandably absent due to Graces. Coming in at third is Devil Survivor 2 which also isn't included. Oh well :P

This list is full of games that are probably going to be pretty good, but none of them really strike me as must haves except Trails 2. I'm reasonably certain that Diablo 3 and Mass Effect 3 will provide some good entertainment, but I can wait for them. There's also a few that may end up being good or bad, like FF13-2, Amalur, and Fate/Extra. All in all its a really solid line up of upcoming games.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    The Reason We Want It: There have been so many games in the series that have not received an English release that we're glad to get any of them.
    I hate to nitpick, but no we would not be glad to get ANNNNNNNNYYYYYYY of them, like say Tales of the Tempest.

well, scratch that. You've got Dark Souls listed as coming to PC and it isn't. That sucks, I was starting to get excited for it.

Tales of Xillia, it can't arrive on my doorstep soon enough.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.