Thread: Square Enix Reveals Tokyo Game Show Lineup

Square Enix Reveals Tokyo Game Show Lineup

Square Enix brings another truckload of games to TGS. Have a look inside to see which ones are playable.

[NEWS]

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Have towel will travel Moderator shoptroll's Avatar
    Still no playable version of Versus :\

EDIT: And no mention in the article about their iOS offerings I thought we were covering Chaos Rings?
    Last edited by shoptroll; 09-01-2011 at 10:04 AM.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    I thought we were covering Chaos Rings?
    Added, my mistake on that one.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

No FF Verus XIII? That is unfortunate. Not a good sign, does SE have another Dirge of Cerberus on its hands?

Versus doesn't exist. If it does, it will debut on the PS4.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Why rush Versus? Let them take the time to make it awesome.

I'm guessing closed theater dealie for a new VS trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Why rush Versus? Let them take the time to make it awesome.
    Because SE's excessively long development cycles are driving their profits into the ground. They need to release flagship games like Versus XIII on a timely basis. The game was unveiled at E3 2006, for goodness's sake. Five years is way too long in development for any game, even for Square Enix. And we have no reason to believe it will be out in the next year either.

Quote Originally Posted by dbl219 View Post
    Because SE's excessively long development cycles are driving their profits into the ground. They need to release flagship games like Versus XIII on a timely basis. The game was unveiled at E3 2006, for goodness's sake. Five years is way too long in development for any game, even for Square Enix. And we have no reason to believe it will be out in the next year either.
    They haven't been working on VS full time for those 5 years. What probably sunk a lot of their profits was development on Crystal Tools, XIII, XIV and the Eidos purchase. Not to mention a number of games that were developed in short time-spans and flopped.

Quote Originally Posted by dbl219 View Post
    They need to release flagship games like Versus XIII on a timely basis.
    No, they need to release QUALITY flagship titles.

That too. XIII was a bit of a mess development wise from what I've read. 4-5 years isn't a terrible timeframe for development actually. Half-Life 2, Starcraft, Starcraft 2, TES V: Skyrim, Diablo II, Diablo III, The Witcher 2, Team Fortress 2, Dragon Age: Origins, etc.
    Last edited by shoptroll; 09-01-2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: more titles added

They need to do both really...
    Last edited by The Last Paladin; 09-01-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Paladin View Post
    Not really, quality over timely releases seems to work for Blizzard.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    This. A rushed product is not good for neither the developers nor for the players, as it will probably disappoint both.

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Paladin View Post
    This isn't the old days, it takes alot longer to code things for games than it once did. Things that used to take 1-2 years now takes 3-5 years. You can't rush perfection (as shown by how crappy the final product usually turns out when you do). Also, do I know you from somewhere? I have a feeling I have met you before, and for some reason it makes me pull up a shield expecting something...

Who needs Rinoa anyway? Rebochan's Avatar
    While you can't rush perfection, you can drag out development so long that you'll cancel out any chance of making your money back.

See: Duke Nukem Forever for the worst case. Hell, even LA Noir, despite selling at over 4 million copies, still spent so long in development and wasted so much money that it nuked its studio (they're in administration as of today). I'd honestly suspect that FFXIII, despite pulling similarly impressive sales, probably didn't justify its budget.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

Also see Starcraft: Ghost that speant so long in production that it had to be cancelled.
    27 years of gaming and still going strong

and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Quote Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
    I'd honestly suspect that FFXIII, despite pulling similarly impressive sales, probably didn't justify its budget.
    I thought most of that time was sunk on Crystal Tools. That way they amortize the cost by re-using the engine on multiple projects.

Not really, quality over timely releases seems to work for Blizzard.
    Well sure, but with Blizzard i'm assuming you're talking about WoW and if that's the case, then they certainly have plenty of time to build on that development because the essentially just updated a decade old game that are keeping people busy with countless of quests. And I'm sure there are plenty of people who would argue your point about the quality of this game as well. If you're talking about some of their other games, I wouldn't know, I'm not really into playing anything from Blizzard really.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    This. A rushed product is not good for neither the developers nor for the players, as it will probably disappoint both.

This isn't the old days, it takes alot longer to code things for games than it once did. Things that used to take 1-2 years now takes 3-5 years. You can't rush perfection (as shown by how crappy the final product usually turns out when you do). Also, do I know you from somewhere? I have a feeling I have met you before, and for some reason it makes me pull up a shield expecting something...
    It doesn't really take longer to do things, it just take more people to accomplish the programming/development than what it use to, and a game that takes a half of a decade to develop is definitely too long.

Also, I didn't say to rush the product, but you still need to be able to both produce a quality game to your customer as well as give it to them at a timely matter, that is just good business sense. You could be developing a game that is suppose to be for one generation console for so long, when the next generation console hit, it may not even be worth bringing the game to the audience, for example. Quality is definitely important but having a game in a timely matter is just as important.