Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

Thread: Final Fantasy XIII-2 To Feature Time Travel

  1. #1
    複線ドリフト!! RPGamer Staff Quin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,299

    Final Fantasy XIII-2 To Feature Time Travel

    I come from the future. I need your clothes, boots and your copy of Versus XIII. Not out yet? Dammit, I'm too early.

    [NEWS]

    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

  2. #2
    Under watcher LordKaiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    3,263
    I was joking in another forum that Noel is Serah and Snow child then it all went into a debate of Snow+Serah vs. Snow+Lighting then it went to DBZ talk that Noel is the Trunks of Final Fantasy.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

  3. #3
    A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Batesburg, South Carolina
    Posts
    4,245
    Time Travelling shenanigans? I wonder if one of the characters will be a robot from the future...

  4. #4
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Aloria
    Posts
    108
    I wouldn't be surprised if Noel was the love-child of Serah and Snow. Also, please let there not be any sequences in the past that will allow Vanille to make an appearance.

  5. #5
    Who needs Rinoa anyway? Rebochan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,108
    Wasn't the entire point of Lightning's original mission saving Vanille and Fang? Of course they're going to show up.

    It's like people want to play FFXIII-2, but only if it doesn't actually include anyone or anything from FFXIII. There's plenty of other games out there that definitely won't have those characters, you know.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

  6. #6
    A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Batesburg, South Carolina
    Posts
    4,245
    Quote Originally Posted by CofLSilk View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Noel was the love-child of Serah and Snow. Also, please let there not be any sequences in the past that will allow Vanille to make an appearance.
    Oh, they will be, and odds are you'll be doing something that ends up creating a Continuity Nod.

  7. #7
    is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    3,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
    Wasn't the entire point of Lightning's original mission saving Vanille and Fang? Of course they're going to show up.

    It's like people want to play FFXIII-2, but only if it doesn't actually include anyone or anything from FFXIII. There's plenty of other games out there that definitely won't have those characters, you know.
    Hey now, I don't want to play FFXIII-2 because it doesn't have enough FFXIII. I wanted to play Lightning again. I have no interest in Serah/Noel.

    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

  8. #8
    A smooth flow of thought Kaiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    119
    time travel, like i can warn my past self not to buy the original xiii?

    i couldn't be bothered with xiii after the "stone-guardian-temple", because although the graphics were excellent, it felt too much of a drag and a whiney, cheesy and cliched soap-opera to me.

    i havent played it for months but just yesterday i watched all the cutscenes i missed, from the game. it was definately more fun watching it than playing :P

    after that i watched the xiii-2 trailer and i can't understand why snowe isn't with serah, and lightning seems to be trapped in some timeless-corridor or something. i don't think i will buy this game, because even if they improved the gameplay, the style( mechanical world, monster design) is the same which i didnt like aswell.

    well, probably when its like 10-20 euros or something
    Last edited by Kaiser; 09-06-2011 at 04:50 PM.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Rochelle, IL
    Posts
    258
    FFXIII's story was a waste of an interesting setting. I liked the universe they created, so I'm hopeful that they can get the story right this time around (though I wouldn't bet on it). It definitely sounds more interesting so far.

  10. #10
    Member SiliconNooB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia.
    Posts
    6,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
    Wasn't the entire point of Lightning's original mission saving Vanille and Fang? Of course they're going to show up.

    It's like people want to play FFXIII-2, but only if it doesn't actually include anyone or anything from FFXIII. There's plenty of other games out there that definitely won't have those characters, you know.
    I think that a lot of people would like a version of FFXIII that doesn't suck.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

  11. #11
    Member Jitawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    665
    I can't say I was a fan of the "mostly" on rails FFXIII. The extent of non-rails gameplay was a large outdoor area you could wander about and do find-and-kill quests (in sequence no less.. ha). Thus far, it's not clear to me that this one will be an improvement. Lightning was the only character I liked in the first one, and apparently she's not playable?

  12. #12
    The Don Nergal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,741
    I remember reading some XIII-centred forum in the lead up to the Japanese release of the original. There was a "leaked" story synopsis that culminated in the party time-travelling back to the start of the game's events to fight the final boss when he was more vulnerable (or something to that effect). Ahhh... Pre-release hype!

    Time travel is cool and Chrono Trigger is awesome so I'm interested to see where they go with this.

  13. #13
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconNooB View Post
    I think that a lot of people would like a version of FFXIII that doesn't suck.
    I already got that, it was called FFXIII.

  14. #14
    Member SiliconNooB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia.
    Posts
    6,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I already got that, it was called FFXIII.
    Oh, I forgot to check if it was opposite day ...
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

  15. #15
    A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Batesburg, South Carolina
    Posts
    4,245
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconNooB View Post
    Oh, I forgot to check if it was opposite day ...
    More like you forgot to write down that opinions do not equal facts.

  16. #16
    I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bed
    Posts
    8,727
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    Time Travelling shenanigans? I wonder if one of the characters will be a robot from the future...
    I wonder if they'll actually pay Rick Astley this time...



    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels
    I already got that, it was called FFXIII.
    Well, to be fair, people would probably go away from FFXIII with the impression that it was nothing more than a grind tube mainly because of how back-ended this one was.

    SE'll be just fine if they remember to even out the gameplay and keep the cutscenes to a respectable length.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebochan
    It's like people want to play FFXIII-2, but only if it doesn't actually include anyone or anything from FFXIII.
    Well, I don't think anyone's gonna have any problems with Fang, she was cool. The problem people had with Vanille was that she was the spaz character, but didn't come off as charming as Yuffie or even Selphie. If she's shown any evidence at all of growth in FFXIII-2, I'm sure she'll be welcome.

    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

  17. #17
    A Serious Man Drav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,543
    One day I will play FFXIII.

    Actually, nah.

  18. #18
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    More like you forgot to write down that opinions do not equal facts.
    Yes exactly. I'd love to live in a world where FFXIII was awful, because then I'd never have played things like ClaDun.

  19. #19
    Moderator Moderator flamethrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    4,917
    A lot of people did not like it, Sam I Am (but actually my name is flamethrower). The evidence is length of discussions surrounding the game (though that can indicate a vocal minority).

    A quick check of the metacritic for this game for more evidence: Critics give 83, gamers give 82 (PS3 ver.). It's typical for gamer scores to be higher than critic scores (check any game that sold a smallish number of copies; I checked Plants vs Zombies PC which was five points higher than critics for gamers).

    It sounds like the story has completely changed and there will be only minor changes to the gameplay. If you did not like FF13, don't buy this, it's more of the same. The converse is also true.


    So...do you people like time travel stories? How does time travel work anyway?
    It seems that most games go.... 600A.D. is a time period. Anytime the characters go to 600A.D., they "resume where they left off" at least time-wise, so they will never run into copies of themselves (which would happen if they did always go back to the same time). The other option is all time periods progress equally, so an hour spent in 2300AD will mean when the characters return to 600AD, an hour will have passed. Arbitrary time travel is freaky and not often played with in stories.

    "...and I have come back from the future....to terminate Gray Davis and take back Sacramento!!!" -JibJab parodying then governor candidate Arnold Schwarzenegger

  20. #20
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    A quick check of the metacritic for this game for more evidence: Critics give 83, gamers give 82 (PS3 ver.). It's typical for gamer scores to be higher than critic scores (check any game that sold a smallish number of copies; I checked Plants vs Zombies PC which was five points higher than critics for gamers).
    So your argument for it being a bad game is that gamers rated it more solidly a B- than reviewers?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •