Thread: Crimson Alliance Offers an Unusual Way to Save Money

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Crimson Alliance Offers an Unusual Way to Save Money

Is there one character in Crimson Alliance that you want to use much more than the rest? If so, Microsoft is willing to offer you a deal, but there is going to be a catch.

[Link]

This is a dumb idea. I would never buy a limited version of a game like this.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    This establishes a worrying precedent.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Not worrying so much as kind of stupid. I predict many customer support calls from people who accidentally bought the wrong version. It would be worrying if the full version were above the standard XBLA price, but it isn't.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    I'm with Ocelot here. Most people are just going to buy the standard version and be done with it, and those who don't, well, there's going to be lots of people who get the wrong class. In short, this is going to sort itself out much the way Horse Armor did. Remember that nonsense?

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    I say this is a bad precedent because we've already seen BioWare splitting the DA2 DLC along class lines. You can get new weapon/armor sets for each class at $2 each or buy the whole group together for $5 or something like that.

It was only a matter of time before someone decided to try it with a full game. If this sells well, I would not put it past EA or Activision to give it a shot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    I'm with Ocelot here. Most people are just going to buy the standard version and be done with it, and those who don't, well, there's going to be lots of people who get the wrong class. In short, this is going to sort itself out much the way Horse Armor did. Remember that nonsense?
    EDIT: BioWare is asking $2 for each pack of alternate companion appearances for ME2, so no I don't think Horse Armor was ever sorted out by the market

But it's also bringing along the latest trend of iOS games offering you an absurd amount of in-game currency for a couple of extra bucks. I usually ignore that sort of thing, but Crimson Alliance seriously nags you about this constantly, so its ruffling a few feathers based on the response on a couple of blogs I read.

Of course, there's the question of what happens if you do like the game and didn't buy the triple pack up front. It sounds like your only option is to give the developer another $15. Which, yes is incredibly dumb, but also incredibly incredibly hostile to your consumers.
    Last edited by shoptroll; 09-07-2011 at 04:41 AM.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!