Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 53 - Kicking Jack Russell

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 53 - Kicking Jack Russell

Observe unique personalities wandering about to their own daily rhythms, interrupted only by constant kicking. This is a hallmark of a certain tri-Ace title that has supplied ample opportunity for remembrance.
    They call it Radiata Stories.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Let me know what you all think of the audio editing. On Roy's recommendation, I used a new filter to help kill a lot of the dead space that tends to crop up between thoughts. It did shave about 25 minutes or so off this 2 hour podcast. That's a lot of dead space! LOL. And for your fans of the RPG Sanctum, make sure you listen ALL the way to the end

Man really been 6 years since Radiata Story… my backlog is so big!!!

As for League of Legend, it is quite a fun game, I play time to time, I am only lvl 15 and I am still a “newb”… But I really like to play with Alistar, Warwick and Singed. If you want to team up, my user name is Spareblood

I've always been meaning to get into Tengai Makyo. I wish the 360 remake of 1 had been localized. Anyone imported it? I have my Saturn region unlocked. There are remakes of them them on there correct? Where would be a good place to start?

The only Tengai Makyou on Saturn is the 4th Apocalypse, but as the most ludicrous RPG ever made you must play it, so do that. A second option would be Zero on the SFC, but be prepared to grind a lot at the end if you want to have any hope of beating Ninigi.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

4 for Sat goes for $10 on ebay. I will import. Any faqs? My Japanese is extremely rusty.

Also hope you Vanillaware discussion brings up princess crown. I need to pick it up on Saturn or PSP at some point.

There is a FAQ (look at the place you'd suspect game FAQs would be) and it is extremely helpful. There is at least one part I recall where you need to react quickly to spoken Japanese (it's just telling you to move in one of four directions, but getting it wrong dumps you back onto a previous floor), but this game is fairly easy to intuit with some RPG experience.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    To clarify some things about the after-show discussion of Final Fantasy Tactics: I think you guys mixed my and The Legendary Zoltan's comments. I merely posted that I wished I had brought up the battles system of Knights in the Nightmare and Sands of Destrution. Zoltan was the one who posted, and I quote: "FFTactics: I actually agree mostly with JCServant but during the show I didn't want to be confrontational. Next time I should get slightly more opinionated. It will be more entertaining probably, too."

Not that what you said about me isn't true, Nyx. I've always had trouble speaking up and voicing my opinions. It's something I still need to work on, though I have been getting better.

Oh, and it was Charles/Alex (Clix) who said he didn't like FFT, I don't think he's played the Luminous Arc games and didn't bring them up in the Sanctum episode. I believe it was Roy who mentioned liking LA.
    Last edited by Strawberry Eggs; 09-14-2011 at 08:51 PM.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

I'm not a huge fan of the audio editing.. it sort of feels like I have to catch up to what is being discussed and have to listen full time (I usually listen to the podcast while working, doing other things). Either way though, it's still awesome, just doesn't sound as natural.
    FULL TIME AWESOME LIFE!

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Strawberry: Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was someone else, but heck, I can never keep people straight. I was personally more into the discussion at hand (FFT) than I was caring about who exactly said what. Other than Roy, I couldn't even tell you who was on that show... that's how bad I am about those things! But, I certainly remembered the points of what was said

Zock: Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping to get more. There are a number of sliders and options I can use...and the next time what I might do is set it to put a little more time in between the 'pauses' and see if that's easier listening. I know what you mean though. I listen to podcasts two ways.... regular speed (when I'm mildly concentrating on something else) and 1.4 speed (when I'm doing brainless data entry or the such). If you're using Window's Media Player, the time slow / speed up is awesome. It does so without distorting voices so they don't sound like chipmunks! Occasionally I do play a podcast at slower​ speeds as well.

I always hope the next Backtrack is of a game I've played because I always enjoy them, and though it took me a bit to get around to listening to it, I was happy to see this one about Radiata Stories. It was certainly an endearing game...one that I often forget about when searching for examples of things among my RPG library. Jack himself was fun as a main character, but Ganz was definitely my favorite of the cast. Poor guy!

I too never played the non-human side of Radiata Stories... This podcast brought back so many wonderfully kick-filled memories I may have to put that game in again. I'll probably want to redo the human side as well (I missed too many characters =( ).

Also, the armor that I found the most fun(ny) was the business suit. Sending a kid running (or speedwalking) through a fantasy backdrop kicking everything in sight as a salaryman never got old for me.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001

Weird how many people didn't take the nonhuman route, particularly when it means a more-developed relationship with Ridley. I enjoyed whomping people who were my allies, but that's just me being a contrary seeker of pleasure in odd things.
    As for the business suit, seeing Jack with glasses and oil-slicked hair recruiting goblins with it (given its requirement status to get a few of the black goblins on your team) was weird enough. I might've tried taking it into combat, but the stupid thing had the worst defense stats in the game. Maybe that was a hidden meaning from tri-Ace.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I took the nonhuman route! It just seemed more fun.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance