Thread: Extra Life 2011

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

Extra Life 2011

What?
    This year RPGamer is teaming up with PS Nation, Gamers Only Older, and Retroids.com to participate in Sarcastic Gamer's Extra Life marathon. Why are we teaming up? To bring you huge prizes and special events during Extra Life!
    When?
    Extra Life this year runs for 24 hours starting at Saturday October 15, 2011. This year's special combined broadcast with PSNation and Gamers Only Older will happen from Saturday October 15, 2011 at 8 a.m. to Sunday October 16, 2011 at 8 a.m. CST.
    Why?
    Extra Life is an annual charity event where participants pledge to game for 24 hours on October 15th in exchange for donations. 100% of the money raised will go to a Children's Miracle Network hospital local to the participant.
    How do I help?
    Please go to the contest page at psnation.org to see all the details of how and what you can win by donating to either the Retroids North or RPGamer teams. RPGamer kindly asks that you consider donating to this worthy cause by sponsoring one of the members. Then be sure to come here and watch the live stream to see the RPGamer, Gamers Only Older, and PSNation teams play for 24 hours straight. You will be able to chat with the teams by registering for chat on PS Nation's twitch.tv channel. Please keep checking the contest page for new prizes and details about all the fun that'll be going down on the 15th.
    Extra Life is organized by Sarcastic Gamer and more info can be found at extra-life.org. Please post questions, comments, and game suggestions in the official forum thread. We extend our deepest thanks for all contributions and participation and we look forward to playing with you on October 15th.
    You can find the RPGamer Team Page at extra-life.org/team/rpgamer.

I joined your team. Hopefully I'll be able to bring in some donations.

Host of The Sectorcast Rosestorm's Avatar
    I will be throwing my hat into the ring as well with a livestream
    Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
    Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
    A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar
    Cool, what I think I'll end up doing is making a landing page for Extra Life day that has the PS Nation stream and chat box on it for simplicity, so people can start watching and chatting with lots of others. Then I'll have links on the page that go out to the other live streams that are going on and we'll use the RPGamer IRC chatroom for those streams. Quin is doing one too I believe, so that should be interesting.

Still looking for other ideas for how we can encourage more donations. What would you like to see added to the contest? Let us know so we can throw it in there.

I'll probably be doing a livestream as well, though I don't know if it'll be at all interesting, since I don't know if I can pipe my mic out.
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    i might put stream something at around 2 or 3 in the morning. which should be when I'm most entertaining.

Going to be participating again this year on Team RPGamer, woo~ I'm excited because now I can fill up my ExtraLife twitter with crying over Dark Souls deaths. I'm not sure if I'll be exciting or not, but if anyone wants to follow me or have... twitter conversations (?), I'm half-competent at tweeting and you can find me here: http://twitter.com/Sara_ExtraLife

I'll be honest, I've no clue what a livestream is. But I'm down with IRC chat if I can ever remember how to use it again. As far as contests, I liked what was done last year. It was great that there were prizes available for participants and donors. I guess I'm not really creative beyond that... maybe there could be a contest for designing a Team RPGamer shirt or something silly like that.

I got a donation! Woo! Now there's no backing out. I'll have to be "off the clock" for a few hours for a programming competition in the afternoon, but I'll make up for it Friday.
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral

The Sanctum will be streaming at, http://www.rpgamer.com/live/sanctum.html, do to some computer issues recently I will be streaming some more classic PC RPGs, I'll also be playing some PS3 but I won't be able to stream that.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Big congrats to everyone who completed Extra Life
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    Yeah. Good job getting donations and playing games for 24 freaking hours! I couldn't do that.

Extra Life was fun this year.