Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy X Getting an HD Remake

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Final Fantasy X Getting an HD Remake

There have been a lot of rumors and speculation leading up to the Tokyo Game Show, but no one saw this one coming. The time has come to once again walk down the road to Zanarkand.

[Link]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Thread Opening Post by AncientRune

http://kotaku.com/5840027/final-fant...-and-ps3-in-hd

I can hear them crying now

Far easier to port and update teh PS2 then it is to completely redo FFVII, just saying.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    I'd prefer the opportunity to give XII another chance, but I imagine that'd likely happen later so I'm happy enough with this. I didn't get into RPGs early enough to really care about VII myself.

Do hope they tweak the blitzball a bit though so it's actually fun to play.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

IMO FFX is showing its age more than FFVII - so I'm well happy with this!
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

It'll probably just be an enhanced port or whatever.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    I thought Valve were some of the biggest trolls out there. Well played Square-Enix. Well played.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    It'll probably just be an enhanced port or whatever.
    That's my thinking too. Probably nothing more than a quick resolution bump like they're doing with Sly, MGS, GoW, etc.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Still, this did make me giggle a bit... SE: "We'll remake/enhance rerelease any Final Fantasy game. Unless it came out on the PS1."

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    SE makes me happy. What better game is there for a portable system than Final Fantasy X?

Meh, the game looked okay for PS2 but the textures are pretty bland. Methinks HD is only going to accentuate the flaws.

sorry but the FFXI fanboy in me is more irate because I really want a ps3 edition of that MMO!

Why bother with that boring road trip anyway?
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

Quote Originally Posted by Cidolfas View Post
    Meh, the game looked okay for PS2 but the textures are pretty bland. Methinks HD is only going to accentuate the flaws.
    I don't think it'd be hard to redo the textures. It'd be difficult to redo the 3D models; I don't think they will go that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidolfas View Post
    After playing it on PCSX2 I can say that some parts of it look absolutely amazing in HD, while other parts of it look really rough. Moreover, the game uses a lot of 2D elements which look awful, such as inside the Besaid huts, and the Kilika horizon. FFXII is a much better candidate for a straight-up HD port (though I'm still happy that SE decided upon FFX, since I like the game much more).

If it turns out to be a straight-up HD port rather than the 'remake' that SE have advertised it as - then it should still look fairly stunning on the small screen of the Vita.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconNooB View Post
    After playing it on PCSX2 I can say that some parts of it look absolutely amazing in HD, while other parts of it look really rough. Moreover, the game uses a lot of 2D elements which look awful, such as inside the Besaid huts, and the Kilika horizon. FFXII is a much better candidate for a straight-up HD port (though I'm still happy that SE decided upon FFX, since I like the game much more).
    Re-texturing a game with higher resolutions makes it look a lot snappier. OoT 3D looks really good on the 3DS and I don't think they did much to improve the polygon count for that game.

I wouldn't be surprised if they've got XII HD in the works as well. There was also some talk of Kingdom Hearts getting the HD treatment in time for the 10th anniversary of the first game.

If it turns out to be a straight-up HD port rather than the 'remake' that SE have advertised it as - then it should still look fairly stunning on the small screen of the Vita.
    Weren't they classifying the Chrono Trigger DS version as a "remake"?
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

-Yeah, I tend to be a little dubious about any of SE's grand promises.

-A FFXII HD port will turn out great; I've been playing that game @1080p on PCSX2, and it requires absolutely no additional work (with the exception of CG cutscenes) - it looks better than FFXIII!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    sorry but the FFXI fanboy in me is more irate because I really want a ps3 edition of that MMO!

Why bother with that boring road trip anyway?
    Sadly, the ship has probably set sail. I don't think they will be closing down FFXI in the near, near future, but, once FFXIV is finally fixed and drawing in a crowd, FFXI's retirement will be close at hand. I just hope someday down the road they re-visist FFXI in some form (free-to-play retro MMO, a remade offline package, or something) to provide the next generation to experience it (i.e. ten years or so from now).

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientRune View Post
    God damn it, Square Enix, now we're gonna have another decade of FFVII fanboys screaming for a remake...

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

On the bright side, maybe they'll use the International version as the base.

I'd really only want a FFXII remake if they fleshed out the second half of the game. The game certainly could use the graphical update, but man. I'd be sad if they just tweaked some graphics and left. At least X stands well as-is.

I just hope someday down the road they re-visist FFXI in some form (free-to-play retro MMO, a remade offline package, or something)
    Has an MMORPG ever been converted into a single-player RPG after it's online run?

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconNooB View Post
    -A FFXII HD port will turn out great; I've been playing that game @1080p on PCSX2, and it requires absolutely no additional work (with the exception of CG cutscenes) - it looks better than FFXIII!
    Having done the same thing (PCSX2 @1080p) to finish my recent FFXII run, I can't really agree with that. XII would require quite a bit of work to see a proper PS3 quality port.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, the emulation is a definite improvement to FFXII's original level of quality, but as a baseline, I'd suggest they would probably want to review the main character models (Hero and villains alike) and review some of the dungeons and outdoor areas. "Quite a bit" is probably an overstatement, but going over maps with touching-up in mind probably takes time more than anything else.

And while they're at it, maybe they can remake the dungeons in the last third of the game to be less bang-head-on-wall annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    Has an MMORPG ever been converted into a single-player RPG after it's online run?
    Aren't they currently doing this with Ragnarok Online on the PSP?

Also, FFVII fans are always irate, a remake will just make them even more irate because they'll spend an entire decade arguing over what should be fixed (The localization errors) and what should be left alone in the name of nostalgia (The Death Penalty glitch, should it be left in for old times sake?)
    Last edited by Quin; 09-14-2011 at 09:37 AM.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimeMan View Post
    Far easier to port and update teh PS2 then it is to completely redo FFVII, just saying.
    Exactly

Besides, people seem to forget that FFX was extremely popular as well.