Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XIII-2 Dated, Given New Trailer

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Dated, Given New Trailer

Final Fantasy XIII-2 will be out in North America early next year. In this trailer, we see that Snow gets a new haircut, Hope joins the Moogle Scouts, and Serah still makes doe-eyes at everyone a lot.

[Story]

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Resident Cannibal Tequila Mockingbird's Avatar
    This game just gets wackier with every promotional release. I'm almost starting to live for it. Hope grew up! And, I really wanted to forget the whole Serah/Snow love thing... gag.. least cutest FF couple ever. If Square Enix is going balls to the wall with this plot I'm ready for it.

New Member Member
    Do we get to control all 3 char in this one? Or do they still think we are dumb button mashing brogamers who cant micro manage?

Just sayin =p

And is that some god of war fmv'esque button clicking i see in this new trailer?
    Last edited by bigmark268; 09-15-2011 at 02:52 PM.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    This trailer appeases me more. Snow looking badass, Hope looking cooler, Chocobo pecking, Lightning seeing Serah, ALL OF THIS PLEASES ME. Also, anybody have the name for the new theme song? I'm going to need to import the single for that.

Awesome trailer. I can't wait to hear the american song... Also, I'm going to call Eidolons being party members like the monsters. They'd be so awesome to use as party members!

The English theme song (along with some different game footage) was featured in FFXIII-2's TGS 360 trailer.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconNooB View Post
    The English theme song (along with some different game footage) was featured in FFXIII-2's TGS 360 trailer.
    Link, please.

I haven't seen it yet - I read about it on Andriasang.

I see, so the PS3 version trailer features the theme song Yakusoku no Basho by Mai Fukai, while the 360 version trailer features the theme song New World by Cherise. Sad that they're not on youtube yet, but they probably won't be until right before the game comes out. At that point I'll have to download both theme songs odds are. <_<

Here's the English theme song for those that want to hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H581nxuTDA0

Charice sounds perfect, but the lyrics are unfortunately in Engrish and don't match the meter of the song at all. The English is technically correct, but the timing is just off in most places. Weirdly emphasized syllables, stilted lines... the whole shabang. We know that Square-Enix can translate songs and make them sound natural in English, since they did exactly that with Jade Valerie's versions of 1000 Words/real Emotion from FFX-2. Don't know why that didn't happen here...

Maybe they'll redo the song for the US release like they did with some of the vocal pieces in FFXIII. More likely, they'll either leave the song as is or just replace it with another song from Charice's upcoming album (or if they're really lazy, just cut the song entirely and replace it with BGM).
    Last edited by merr; 09-15-2011 at 11:11 PM.

I approve of grown-up Hope. I do not approve of hatless Snow.

Nonetheless, the trailer adds another small bit of fuel to the modest flame of anticipation I have for this game. Here's hoping.

...and here's hoping they do something with the English theme between now and release. They've managed to keep songs in English sounding pretty darn natural since the first one in FFVIII--no reason for them to drop the ball here. (These days, though, who knows?)
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001

I really enjoyed the Japanese version earlier; the English version is awful. I don't see what is wrong with just using the Japanese versions of songs - we continue to receive games with Japanese singing from other publishers, which results in no great dramas. Japanese audiences seem to do fine with the occasional English song (Xenoblade - Beyond the Sky), so I don't see the need or benefit in trying to squeeze a round plug into a Square (pun intended) hole.

@Merr: I thought the English version of 1000 Words sounded fantastic, but I really hated the English version of Sanctuary (Passions), because the cadence of the singing sounded way off compared to its Japanese counterpart.

...I like this English version. Sounds fine. Maybe it's because I constantly hear actual Engrish on a daily basis. This is miles better than most things I've heard by a Japanese artist singing in English (besides fluent speakers like Utada and Angela Aki).

I like the English theme, sounds perfect to me. Now I just need the Japanese version on youtube so I can compare them to see which I like more.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    I like the English theme, sounds perfect to me. Now I just need the Japanese version on youtube so I can compare them to see which I like more.
    The Japanese version is in the game trailer.

The English version isn't completely horrible, but it is very disappointing in comparison to the Japanese version.

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconNooB View Post
    The Japanese version is in the game trailer.

The English version isn't completely horrible, but it is very disappointing in comparison to the Japanese version.
    From what I heard it's an English version of the Japanese theme, so think of it as another Eyes on Me (FF8 version). You know, Japanese get a Japanese version, everybody else gets an English version.

I seem to be one of the few that is leery of this sequel. The whole time-traveling and the cutesy moogle thing... blah. Im one of the few that loved FFXIII so thats probably why all these things arent sitting too well with me.

On the other hand, Snow looks gorgeous as always... even tho I didnt even recognize him when he first appeared.
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it and it will never be used to hurt you.” - Tyrion Lannister

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    From what I heard it's an English version of the Japanese theme, so think of it as another Eyes on Me (FF8 version). You know, Japanese get a Japanese version, everybody else gets an English version.
    There is a Japanese version of Eyes on Me, but I was under the impression that it wasn't a thing until after the game's release. My FFVIII OST has the song in English, thus I thought it was English in all versions of the game.

Anyway, that is beside the point. Japanese songs don't always flow well when converted into English, and this seems to have taken some of the shine off of the track.

On the other hand, Snow looks gorgeous as always...
    *Vomits*

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementol View Post
    I seem to be one of the few that is leery of this sequel. The whole time-traveling and the cutesy moogle thing... blah. Im one of the few that loved FFXIII so thats probably why all these things arent sitting too well with me.
    Oh, I feel similarly. I'm fine with the time travel, but I have no interest in playing Serah and Noel for an entire game. Bleh.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

New Member Member
    Time travel worked well in CT and Back to the Future. But time travel is something that can super quickly make no sense. All depends how they do it.

I was kinda hopeing for the more distant future seeing snow and hope as grizzled 45-55 year olds maybe an eye or limb missing on Snow.

I dunno I really liked the moogle. Reminded me almost exactly of Mog from FF6 =X. Im glad it wasnt that silly looking rabbit moogle design from ff12 or the super fluffy moogles from FFCC on the wii.

I still want to be able to controll my whole party though. I think im alone in that wish though lol