Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI Arrive on PSN

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI Arrive on PSN

It seems strange that it took so long for this to happen, but two of the SNES's best have arrived on Sony's online service. Who knows where they will show up next.

[Link]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Original Thread Opening Post by DarkRPGMaster:

Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger hit the PSN this week.

Might as well do this now just so the staff can make a news update on it. XD

news@rpgamer.com

And I'll ask the obligatory question: How bad will the load times be?
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    You know, I didn't think the loading was that bad for FF6. Never really played much CT on the PSX on account for it not being that great when I played it on SNES...

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    news@rpgamer.com

And I'll ask the obligatory question: How bad will the load times be?
    If I remember correctly, the load times for FF6 weren't that bad at all. Chrono Trigger, I can't remember. Also, I completely forgot that I could do that. I'll need to start doing that from now on.

There was like a 1 second pause every time you went into battle in CT I remember.
    Give me Underboob, or give me death!

"As a gaming enthusiast, people who carry a pro-hacker flag for selfish self-entitled reasons and willfully ignore the damage that rampant piracy does to developers as well as hardware producers don't deserve to enjoy the games and systems that these companies have poured their souls into to produce."

"A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time." ~ David Jaffe

The load times shouldn't be too bad, considering this time they won't be reading ROM data on the fly from a disk. Assuming they're not emulating the disk, which in turn was emulating the ROM.
    Last edited by Jungyin; 09-18-2011 at 08:21 PM.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungyin View Post
    The load times shouldn't be too bad, considering this time they won't be reading ROM data on the fly from a disk. Assuming they're not emulating the disk, which in turn was emulating the ROM.
    If it's a PSOne Classic, than that's exactly what's happening. Recursive Emulation!

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Recursive Emulation!
    Yo dawg, we heard you like emulation, etc etc...

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

I forget when it launched but I saw Breath of Fire IV on there as a PS1 classic as well(I think it was a few weeks ago)
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    FFVI PSX wasn't terrible for load times. CT PSX was pretty bad. You're probably better off getting CT on the Wii Virtual Console or the DS version. Assuming you have access to either a DS or a Wii.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    FFVI PSX wasn't terrible for load times. CT PSX was pretty bad. You're probably better off getting CT on the Wii Virtual Console or the DS version. Assuming you have access to either a DS or a Wii.
    FFVI's load times weren't awful, but there's a noticeable delay opening the menu, making normally quick actions like healing your party feel quite slow.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    FFVI's load times weren't awful, but there's a noticeable delay opening the menu, making normally quick actions like healing your party feel quite slow.
    That was basically an issue with all the FF games Square had Tose remaster for the PSX. The GBA versions were a lot better
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Who needs Rinoa anyway? Rebochan's Avatar
    FFVI also had a noticeable delay on the playing of sound effects in battles. Plus the sound emulation in general was surprisingly bad.

But if you've got no other way to play the game legally, it's not that bad. You could do worse. I personally felt of the various ports, the GBA was heads and shoulders better, but it's out of print. And of course, the GBA had its own sound emulation oddities. I really want an updated re-release on a current platform with the GBA script and a properly remastered soundtrack.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

Quote Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
    FFVI also had a noticeable delay on the playing of sound effects in battles. Plus the sound emulation in general was surprisingly bad.

But if you've got no other way to play the game legally, it's not that bad. You could do worse. I personally felt of the various ports, the GBA was heads and shoulders better, but it's out of print. And of course, the GBA had its own sound emulation oddities. I really want an updated re-release on a current platform with the GBA script and a properly remastered soundtrack.
    I heard SE plans to do that after they remake FF5 for 3DS (whenever that is).

They will show up in anime form. What? A gamer can dream~

Host of The Sectorcast Rosestorm's Avatar
    An enhanced psp port of FF VI along the lines of I, II, and IV a gamer can dream.
    Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
    Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
    A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I'd still like an official telling of the period in between Trigger and Cross. I do not accept the "everybody dies" angle. Also, a remake of Cross without 95% of the characters would be greatly appreciated :P

Who needs Rinoa anyway? Rebochan's Avatar
    An apology for Cross would be sufficient for me.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

I don't know if any sequel (or prequel) could do the game justice. Or even having it on another platform, for that matter.

For saying it was a direct sequel to Trigger, yes. For giving us all it had if the references to the previous game had not been made, I THINK NOT. As a standalone game, it was impressive. For a sequel however, it was horrid.