Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrono Trigger To Arrive On PSN Next Week

Chrono Trigger To Arrive On PSN Next Week

Chrono Trigger released on The PlayStation Network. Wait? What do you mean I'm too early?

[NEWS]

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Going to have to get this, even though I already have the SNES version.

Oh another CT release. Original and exciting news from Square-Enix again.

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    Didn't they release this game already? Ooh snap! I know it sounds crazy but I'm actually thinking of not getting this one just because I've already played it 100 times. It's a hard choice, though being Chrono Trigger and all. There are PS3 games to play though. Dou shiyou kana?
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website

Yeah, I think I'm passing on it too and for the same reasons as Zoltan: I played it plenty and there's a lot more I want to play without adding this to the list. Heck, half my "to play" list is already nostalgia fever!

This is a little odd for me, considering I'm waffling on CT when the PSX era FFs were almost instant purchases for me (I'd only ever played through IX once on PSX and my FFVII's disc two has an impassable-freeze-inducing scratch... VIII I can't legitimize!). My only copy of CT that I own is the PSX release (SNES I played friends' copies). However, as I've said in another thread, the slowdown/loading issues people go on about never really bugged me so I don't consider having PSX CT something I need to remedy with another edition. So the potential of this release correcting that technical issue (or just rendering it moot) isn't what will grab me either.

By the way, any idea how much it is? Five bucks? Six bucks? I'll probably get CT on PSN eventually just to have it, but I'd have to have finished a dozen other games before I'd even think of firing it up. So much to play, so little time. No, uh, pun intended.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001

I hope Chris mentions it again on RPGcast tomorrow. That would be fun. Especially for me since the only system I own is a PS3 it will actually be news that relates to me.

Is there even a chance of it coming to the European PSN? Because it wasn't released here originally.

But personally I have the DS version, for when I feel like playing it again.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    I think most non-FF PS1 classics from Square have shown up at $5.99, so I'd expect it for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by silktail View Post
    Is there even a chance of it coming to the European PSN? Because it wasn't released here originally.

But personally I have the DS version, for when I feel like playing it again.
    Have any other US PS1 classics show up on your PSN?

Wonder if this version includes all the horrible loads and slowdowns from the actual ps1 hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Zhi View Post
    Wonder if this version includes all the horrible loads and slowdowns from the actual ps1 hardware.
    I'm not sure.

The slowdown in Chrono Trigger was, iirc, caused by poor localization programming overwhelming the PSX's tiny memory capacity (Well, I'm sure 2MB was fairly respectable for those simpler times). In -theory-, even if the version released on PSN still contains that particular bit of dumb programming, both the PSP and PS3 have a lot more memory, eliminating the bottleneck that caused the slowdown problem. Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't turn out to be that simple.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

well I hope that's eliminated. I'm sure they're not going to actually change anything themselves, but the hardware should help.

For me, the DS is the "definitive" version, and I am perfectly happy playing that whenever I want another Chrono Trigger fix.

Yeah I'm guessing only people without a DS or Wii will be picking this up

I'm pretty sure there will be load times, though it might be lower. I'd love to be wrong about this but hey, like everyone has already expressed, I've played this way too many times to be affected by this.

Some people resent SE for the S&D letter about Chrono Resurrection fan project.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Zhi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryZoltan View Post
    well I hope that's eliminated. I'm sure they're not going to actually change anything themselves, but the hardware should help.
    It depends on Sony's emulator and how much ram they are willing to assign to it. You may have the same horrible load times and also my theory is that it's based off of the code from an old emulator called "Connectix Virtual Gamestation"(look it up...at the time it was so good Sony had to buy the company just to shut it down). This is partly due to it having some of the same glitches...

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Yeah I'm guessing only people without a DS or Wii will be picking this up
    I agree with you there. I won't be buying this again for that reason as I have four copies of it....
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    Some people resent SE for the S&D letter about Chrono Resurrection fan project.
    People need to separate what the legal and creative sides of a company do.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    It depends on Sony's emulator and how much ram they are willing to assign to it. You may have the same horrible load times and also my theory is that it's based off of the code from an old emulator called "Connectix Virtual Gamestation"(look it up...at the time it was so good Sony had to buy the company just to shut it down). This is partly due to it having some of the same glitches...

I agree with you there. I won't be buying this again for that reason as I have four copies of it....
    Hmmm, well, I haven't played a lot of it, but the load times are reduced on the PSN version, but sadly, they're still in there. I haven't played enough of the DS version to notice if there were load delays or not. I just can't seem to conform to the way the DS feels to perform most of the controls necessary to pull off the important things in the game such as chasing the rat in the future bit and without a smoother grip, it's nearly impossible to master them. And I WILL NOT conform to a stylus-only control scheme. I just... no, I won't do it. I can't stand the Phantom Hourglass' stylus only controls because it overcomplicates the most simple movements like throwing a bomb... especially in the beginning of the game when you NEED precision! But if it does indeed help in CT, I'll try it. The design of the DS make it hard to do anything comfortably. ~_~ Aren't there grips to make holding the DS more comfortably?

Quote Originally Posted by reionpremente View Post
    Hmmm, well, I haven't played a lot of it, but the load times are reduced on the PSN version, but sadly, they're still in there. I haven't played enough of the DS version to notice if there were load delays or not. I just can't seem to conform to the way the DS feels to perform most of the controls necessary to pull off the important things in the game such as chasing the rat in the future bit and without a smoother grip, it's nearly impossible to master them. And I WILL NOT conform to a stylus-only control scheme. I just... no, I won't do it. I can't stand the Phantom Hourglass' stylus only controls because it overcomplicates the most simple movements like throwing a bomb... especially in the beginning of the game when you NEED precision! But if it does indeed help in CT, I'll try it. The design of the DS make it hard to do anything comfortably. ~_~ Aren't there grips to make holding the DS more comfortably?
    You can use the SNES controls on the DS just fine which is what I did when I was playing that...aslo you can get play-in cases that are easier to hold.

One last thing: I do not remember having issues with the rat on the DS version but that was awhile ago.
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

I was wrong... it IS better on the DS. I just had to get used to them. ^_^ One quick thing though... was there a movie for Frog/Glenn when you first meet him? I could've sworn there was but the DS didn't seem to have one. I know there is one for the Excalibur moment later on, but I could've sworn there was one for him when you first met him in the church. Am I mistaken?