Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vanillaware Invades the PSN

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Vanillaware Invades the PSN

Let it be known that this news is NOT about Grand Knights History or Dragon's Crown. If that makes you curious, then come take a look.

[Link]

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Since the backtrack about Vanillaware Grand Knights History has been announced for localization AND these two games are showing up on PSN. Coincidence?

Sony will tell you who the publisher is for PSN content. So someone check and see who it is!
    My guess is that it's NIS America for GrimGrimoire and Atlus USA for Odin Sphere, the same as the original releases. My guess is someone at VanillaWare got off their butt and made some deals to get these on PSN.

There were problems in the Odin Sphere US version:
    1) Excessive loading time
    2) Slowdown in combat with lots of sprites onscreen. This is present to some degree in every game, but it's especially bad in this one for a certain battle (only).
    I wonder if they have been fixed in this version.

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    Sony will tell you who the publisher is for PSN content. So someone check and see who it is!
    My guess is that it's NIS America for GrimGrimoire and Atlus USA for Odin Sphere, the same as the original releases. My guess is someone at VanillaWare got off their butt and made some deals to get these on PSN.

There were problems in the Odin Sphere US version:
    1) Excessive loading time
    2) Slowdown in combat with lots of sprites onscreen. This is present to some degree in every game, but it's especially bad in this one for a certain battle (only).
    I wonder if they have been fixed in this version.
    Load times should be, not sure about slowdowns. My question is, what emulator are these games using (if they aren't true ports) and why can't we get that for general use?

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    There are two different theories I've seen on what kind of emulator they might be using.

1) They are partially rebuilding a "it kinda works" emulator for each game, focusing on games that are more easily emulated because they don't tax certain aspects of the PS2's capabilities (because the PS3 can't emulate the full range of PS2 capabilities).

2) These are just the first batch of games using some recently completed PS2/PS3 software emulator.

Not sure which to believe, but the former seems more likely to me.

It runs already on my 60gig I suppose. More compelling these days is the job that PC-emulators can do, what with the upscaling and complete removal of sprite-slowdown. Of course, you need a pretty beefy PC to manage such things.

Unless they are giving backward compatibility back I just want remastered editions only. I'll just rip a ISO of my original Odin Sphere and use it on PCSX2 cuz my PS2 has been noisy lately... I miss my old PS3 with backward compatibility...
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Darn, I thought they were going to release Princess Crown.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I want to know if they're going to be playable for the PSP. I seriously doubt it though, as the games are probably too big in size for it. But a man can dream...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    I want to know if they're going to be playable for the PSP. I seriously doubt it though, as the games are probably too big in size for it. But a man can dream...
    That would be a no, but we can always dream they'll run on Vita!

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinBahamut View Post
    There are two different theories I've seen on what kind of emulator they might be using.

1) They are partially rebuilding a "it kinda works" emulator for each game, focusing on games that are more easily emulated because they don't tax certain aspects of the PS2's capabilities (because the PS3 can't emulate the full range of PS2 capabilities).

2) These are just the first batch of games using some recently completed PS2/PS3 software emulator.

Not sure which to believe, but the former seems more likely to me.
    I'm thinking the former as well, as this is basically how Nintendo handles Virtual Console. It'll be... interesting to see how these games run on non-BC PS3s. I imagine a general purpose emulator will be something for the PS4, by which time I imagine emulating the PS2 will be as trivial as PSOne emulation is on the PS3.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    I'm thinking the former as well, as this is basically how Nintendo handles Virtual Console. It'll be... interesting to see how these games run on non-BC PS3s. I imagine a general purpose emulator will be something for the PS4, by which time I imagine emulating the PS2 will be as trivial as PSOne emulation is on the PS3.
    PS2 emulation should be as trivial as PS1 emulation on PS3. I'm not buying that its not possible, smells to me like Sony saw a great opportunity to re-sell PS2 games.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    I'm with Wheels. And that doesn't happen often because he's insane and I'm not.

GrimGrimoire will be tempting. When I drew the line and declared myself done filling my PS2 backlog a few years ago, GrimGrimoire was the top game that didn't make the cut. I didn't know anyone who played it to give me their opinion, and reviews failed to make it sound fun even though I loved Odin Sphere. If it's cheap I'll grab it during a slow release period.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    PS2 emulation should be as trivial as PS1 emulation on PS3. I'm not buying that its not possible, smells to me like Sony saw a great opportunity to re-sell PS2 games.
    It IS trivial because they've already DONE it. Then they took it away. Twice.

I don't really care though, I have a first-gen PS3 that can run PS2 games natively.

It might be a way to cash in on re-selling PS2 games, but at least ICO is an extremely rare title and worth reprinting.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Hmm, this is a bit tempting considering I missed out on them originally (particulary Odin Sphere... GrimGrimoire I'll probably skip)...I wonder how much they'll be.

As for PS2 games in general: I have a new PS2 I got on the cheap a couple years back in reserve for when my current PS2 dies. I could've gifted it or spent the money on something more necessary...but no, I'm too paranoid about being locked out of my PSX/PS2 library. By the time I got a PS3 they didn't have PS2 compatibility anymore so for now it was the only thing I could think of to do for insurance. I went through several PS2s the first few years the darn things were out, the source of my paranoia.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Microsoft adopted a different strategy. They built an emulator for each game that is downloaded when you put the game in the drive.

The Sony strategy is that if it can't run using the original ROMs (that you put in the drive), it's not going to run at all. The high compatibility one has the PS2 CPU and GPU on the board. The low compatibility one has the PS2 GPU on the board and does software emulation for the CPU. PS3 isn't powerful enough to do software emulation. Updated PS2 games for PS3 are not using software emulation. I'm certain they are re-compiled to run natively. "PlayStation Classics" that you download off PSN probably use an emulator.

And rather than (evilly) keeping you from playing games, I'm sure the removal of the PS2 hardware from the board was a cost saving measure, as stated.

PS: Both of these games work with both the high and low compatibility PS3 models that support backwards compatibility.

Second hand PS2 consoles are so cheap these days they really nix the need for any emulation (only problem is having to keep an SD TV around). I tried emulating on PC using PCSX2, and though very impressive, results are far from 1:1 perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    . PS3 isn't powerful enough to do software emulation.
    Unless there's issues related to the fact the PS2 used a 64 bit processor, I'm not sure I buy that. I'd have to dig around and see what kind of computer is need to run the one good PS2 emulator I know of out there at full speed. I didn't realize the PS3 model that used software emulation still had the PS2 GPU in there. I wonder if they could (or would have interest in even) sell a usb addon with the requisite hardware for emulation (though I suspect the transfer speed from usb might not be fast enough).

Quote Originally Posted by H.Akeley View Post
    Second hand PS2 consoles are so cheap these days they really nix the need for any emulation (only problem is having to keep an SD TV around).
    Well that depends on your TV and what games you're playing. There are a fair number of games that support widescreen and progressive scan mode, and from personal experience PS2 games looks fine on my HD tv even when not playing fullscreen (I'm using component cables).
    Last edited by Wheels; 10-04-2011 at 10:09 AM.

So, back up a minute, these have been confirmed for the US PSN? I thought they were only coming to the Japanese PSN.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDrake View Post
    So, back up a minute, these have been confirmed for the US PSN? I thought they were only coming to the Japanese PSN.
    They're up there like, right now actually