Thread: New King's Bounty Game Heads North, Eh?

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

New King's Bounty Game Heads North, Eh?

Granted, King's Bounty: The Warriors of the North is more about Vikings and valkyries than Mounties and beavers. Some of us just have to be Canadian about these things.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Funny thing is, I said to a friend last week that it has been a while since AP, wonder if they're doing another one? Looking forward to it.

The King's Bounty games, if you haven't played them, are excellent value for the money.

The original, King's Bounty: The Legend, is around $10 online and gives around 30 hours of gameplay per playthrough, so it's excellent if you're not sure whether you'll like the series. Players of Heroes of Might and Magic might like King's Bounty as it is a licensed game in the same universe and uses the same combat system with a few tweaks. There's some replay value as you can complete the game using one of three character classes.

These games are enormous. I wonder how they playtest them.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Funny thing is, I said to a friend last week that it has been a while since AP, wonder if they're doing another one?
    I think you missed the memo on Crossworlds. Or are you talking in terms of non-expansions?

Anyways, intrigued although I still haven't started KB: The Legend >_> I was almost convinced they were done with the series when they announced they had Nival working on a Facebook entry.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Yeah, I was thinking more storyline expansions as opposed to content ones like Crossworlds. Don't get me wrong, CW is spiffy, but it doesn't have the same feel.

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    The original, King's Bounty: The Legend, is around $10 online and gives around 30 hours of gameplay per playthrough, so it's excellent if you're not sure whether you'll like the series. Players of Heroes of Might and Magic might like King's Bounty as it is a licensed game in the same universe
    Umm, no. Other than a couple of similar gameplay systems, there's no relation between HoMM and KB: The Legend. It wasn't even called King's Bounty until 1C Company bought the IP and slapped that name on it.
    Also, I think that estimate might be closer to around 50 hours if you do every single sidequest in the game.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tootbrush View Post
    Umm, no. Other than a couple of similar gameplay systems, there's no relation between HoMM and KB: The Legend. It wasn't even called King's Bounty until 1C Company bought the IP and slapped that name on it.
    You're both wrong! Well, tootbrush was closer.

The original King's Bounty came out in 1990 and was developed by Jon van Canegham, otherwise known as "that Might & Magic guy." Canegham himself has called King's Bounty the precursor to the Heroes of Might & Magic series, which he also designed until he sold off New World Computing. The new King's Bounty games by Russian devs Nobilis are based on the original King's Bounty, especially on the fact that in KB, you only control one hero instead of several. My guess is that the new KB was always patterned after the original KB, and 1C bought the naming rights from Canegham, who has been doing online stuff at other companies for quite a while now and sems happy to sell off his old properties. So there is a connection between KB and HOMM, just not in the way you'd first assume.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Yes Ocelot is right, I can confirm that. :-)

But the original King's Bounty and the new ones are amazing. I played both The Legend and Armored Princess and enjoyed both a lot (but I liked The Legend more). I didn't buy the AP expansion because the reviews said it doesn't add much new content.

Looking forward to the new one. :-)

(wish games of other good series would be release at this pace as well)

If I may also add that Hero's of Might and Magic : Quest for the Dragonbone Staff is actally a remake of the Original KB (1990 one)
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

This is great!! The mood and music in these games is simply fantastic. I played The Legend through as mage, and finished although the difficulty really ramped up near the end of the game. I decided to play AP/Crossworlds as a paladin though and got worn down very early in the game. I still have to finish it. Remarkably fun experience.

And now they're adding better graphics and valkyries? How much better can they get?

Just play AP on an easier difficulty, than you played The Legend. Even on easy, it's still fairly challenging towards the end (particularly boss fights). AP on difficulty X is like The Legend on difficulty X+1.

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    Just play AP on an easier difficulty, than you played The Legend. Even on easy, it's still fairly challenging towards the end (particularly boss fights). AP on difficulty X is like The Legend on difficulty X+1.
    Thanks, I'll have to try that! I kept running out of units and having to go back for more, and was thinking it was because I couldn't wipe the enemy out early like I did with Mage. Still, I hadn't had as much fun in a long time.