Thread: More Classic PS1 Games Heading to the PSN

Familiar Face Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar

More Classic PS1 Games Heading to the PSN

You may not have to wait too long after downloading Chrono Trigger off the PSN to play the sequel, along with Final Fantasy I & II. Then again, since no date was announced, it could very well be a while.

Story
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    The wait will be a killer, as always. Though I wonder what the point of releasing FF Origins on the PSN is when you can get the PSP ports for cheap already.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Excellent, I'm sick of having to play Chrono Cross through remote play on my PSP.

When Chrono Trigger came out on the PSN recently, a Sony staff member on the Playstation Blog said that the sequel wouldn't be far off so I'm not surprised by this.
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    The wait will be a killer, as always. Though I wonder what the point of releasing FF Origins on the PSN is when you can get the PSP ports for cheap already.
    Both of them are $10, but Origins would be $10 on its own and FFII would presumably be closer to its original unplayable self.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

If this would mean Chrono Cross would have less slowdown during battle, I'd replace my physical copy of the game with this.

Chrono Trigger was rated by the ESRB in April, and released in October. So, we could be up for another wait of around 5 or 6 months.

Having Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross on PSN is nice, but a Chrono Trigger sequel is even better.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
    Having Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross on PSN is nice, but a Chrono Trigger sequel is even better.
    Oh, you mean the thing we won't get until they decide to 'revive' the IP?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    Though I wonder what the point of releasing FF Origins on the PSN is when you can get the PSP ports for cheap already.
    Well it does have arguably the best version of FF1.
    I.e. Without the ridiculous ease of the later remakes, and almost all of the glitches from the original fixed.

But to answer the question: People will buy it, so Square Enix will make money.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    and FFII would presumably be closer to its original unplayable self.
    The original isn't that bad. It just expects you to do a lot of grinding, like every other old RPG. Although I can see why people prefer the decreased grinding in the remakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    Both of them are $10, but Origins would be $10 on its own and FFII would presumably be closer to its original unplayable self.
    Yes, I don't know exactly where they went wrong with FF 2 but it really was abysmal. It might not be bad however to have a remastered version of FF1 though. Is the PSP remake of FF1 really that bad?

Final Fantasy II put too much emphasis on the prestige of the weapons as opposed to the system already established in the first game. In other words, it didn't matter how well acquainted you were with your weapon... it just depended on what type of character you were and from there you would learn magic, fight better with new weapons and getting the appropriate armor for the class you were. 2 never really did that. They let you improve your weapons yes, but the infrequent enemy attacks and the severe difficulty spikes were very irritating, especially if you walk in one part of the world and then go in either direction... it was like someone just turned the volume up on the stereo and forgot to turn it down afterwards. The other thing that really annoyed me was the fact that there was only ONE way to get from place to place. You either walked or you were stuck. The only way to advance was to spend X amount of time somewhere and then HOPE by some MIRACLE that you got somewhere new. All of the townsfolk were either too scared to help you or wanted you to just get yourself killed... which you did on quite a regular basis. I know the enemy was strong but come on! One enemy can kill you instantly? Seriously? This wasn't the way the first game was and I don't know WHY they made it that way for II. The Japanese REALLY must've hated SOMEBODY to be that cruel. 2 had some beautiful areas, but it also had some of the most strange ways of getting you to go places, relying on that odd almost Dragon Warrior-esque 'magic word' way to talk to people.
    Last edited by reionpremente; 10-15-2011 at 03:48 PM.