Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XIV Reboot Details Revealed

Final Fantasy XIV Reboot Details Revealed

If you've ignored Final Fantasy XIV over the past year, Square Enix is rebooting the game to get it up to par. These changes are coming, just not for a little while.

Reboot Details
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

In a way, I'm actually pretty surprised by SE's tenacity in this particular situation. While releasing FFXIV in it's state last year was an exceptionally poor move, I at least admire them for making an attempt at fixing these issues at no charge to the end user. Call me cynical about other MMO studios, but most of them that immediatly spring to mind would have started charging people months ago, that, or killed off the game, made a lot of people redundant, and killed off the development studio for good measure (Realtime Worlds, anyone?).

Regardless of the eventual outcome of this little saga, with an exception made for the idiot who thought that releasing it early was a good idea, I can't really hate SE's actions here.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    These changes actually make the game interesting to me. I might have to start playing once these changes have been implemented.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    Regardless of the eventual outcome of this little saga, with an exception made for the idiot who thought that releasing it early was a good idea, I can't really hate SE's actions here.
    Can't agree with you any more. Probably in 5 years this whole event will be looked on as just the longest open beta ever done for an MMO It's heartwarming to see a company go to these lengths to fix their product.

Although I'm really surprised they haven't tried to monetize the game in some way. Even something simple like cheap vanity items would probably recoup some of the losses.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    Can't agree with you any more. Probably in 5 years this whole event will be looked on as just the longest open beta ever done for an MMO It's heartwarming to see a company go to these lengths to fix their product.

Although I'm really surprised they haven't tried to monetize the game in some way. Even something simple like cheap vanity items would probably recoup some of the losses.
    Though at the same time implementing something like that may anger the players (MMO players are pickier than you think), and they don't want that either. I have a feeling they're hoping this becomes another FFXI, where once they start charging again they'll get enough money to pay for all of this and gain some profit.

If that concept screenshot is anything close to what they actually churn out, I will be really, really impressed.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    I would take what Quin said another level further and say that this is exactly how we should hope all game companies act. I've always believed that Square Enix is a good company and the fact that they take risks and constantly try new stuff just means that they're ambitious and that's a good thing. I've also always believed that they would make this an awesome game and that I would buy it once it comes out on PS3. I ALSO said that Star Ocean 4 is freaking misunderstood awesome game. Looks like I was right on all accounts (wink).

But this is really amazing news. They're changing the battle system, the story, and the world. That's the entire game! I think I'm back to "can't wait" status again on this one. Of course, I'll have to wait. . . for at least a year!

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    From what I read this morning, they're going to start charging subscription fees soon. We'll see how many people are willing to pay to play while waiting for FF 14 2.0 to come out.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    From what I read this morning, they're going to start charging subscription fees soon. We'll see how many people are willing to pay to play while waiting for FF 14 2.0 to come out.
    I read that the fees won't be until the PS3 version comes out late next year.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    From here (the update thing linked in the article) -

Following the results of the development and operations teams’ efforts, together with the release of the overall plans for the game’s future, we will bring the unbilled period to a close between late November and early December of 2011, and thereafter introduce our subscription-based billing system. Further details will be sent to the email address players submitted at the time of their FINAL FANTASY XIV account registration, and will also be posted on the Lodestone at a future date.
    So billing looks to be starting again this year
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Quote Originally Posted by Severin Mira View Post
    From here (the update thing linked in the article) -

So billing looks to be starting again this year
    Yes, they will be billing soon.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryZoltan View Post
    I would take what Quin said another level further and say that this is exactly how we should hope all game companies act.
    This. A thousand times this. It's really unfortunate that only a handful of developers are finanancially sound enough that they can actually focus on improving their games over long periods of time. The sad reality is that some developers just move from one project to the next without really adding much value to the product post-release.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Would consider playing it. If I wasn't using a laptop. I might get the PS3 version whenever that launches, but that only will happen if I know I'll be living with my current roommate still (as he is the only one I know with a PS3 and I am not buying one of those things).

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Indeed. It looks like they'll start charging late November/early December, and then give another free trial when Version 2 (FFXIV-II?) launches.

As it stands right now, I'm willing to pay for at least a month to check out what's changed since launch and where the game stands right now, and of course I'll let y'all know what I think. With the changes I've read and heard about over the last ten or so months I've already put XIV back on my list of things to look into again - all the new stuff and excitement for Version 2 just bumps it up higher.

ok so now they throw out the whole game and start over with the art assets...interesting and I might play if I get done with FFXI...
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

Of course I will always hope this game turns itself around but there is no way in hell I will purchase it until the 2.0 comes out.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

is anyone else tired of square-enix either releasing remakes or incomplete projects? square-enix is a disgrace to gaming by using their fan base as nothing more than guinea pigs or test subjects for their incomplete, poor-designed garbage. they seem to think that they can just fix the problems with a sequel or a complete redo. that just showcases square-enix complete lack of quality control or the utter failure of their employees. if there's any game company that should go bankrupt, it's them.

Quote Originally Posted by godreborn View Post
    is anyone else tired of square-enix either releasing remakes or incomplete projects? square-enix is a disgrace to gaming by using their fan base as nothing more than guinea pigs or test subjects for their incomplete, poor-designed garbage. they seem to think that they can just fix the problems with a sequel or a complete redo. that just showcases square-enix complete lack of quality control or the utter failure of their employees. if there's any game company that should go bankrupt, it's them.
    Had your Haterade today, I see. You also seem to like to pull out hatred that serves no real purpose.

Personally, I feel it's that time where old games (older than 8 years old) need to be re-released or remade so the newer gamers can enjoy them, as there are ALOT of old games from SE that haven't seen another release since the original.

Sequels, it depends on what it is. If it's a sequel after over a decade of waiting (like The Third Birthday) or a sequel for something that needed more expanding on the world or ending (like FFXIII), I can deal with it. If it's a sequel for the sake of being a sequel and milking it, then no way in hell I'll like it.

Also, name one game that they've released OTHER than FFXIV in the last 5 years that was incomplete. I bet you either can't, or can't even get it to 3.

I'm not a big fan of the rereleases either. It's a totally legitimate complaint. I don't think any other company does it as much as Squenix. That said, they are releasing some good stuff here and there. Just not like their prime.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

Interesting, but that concept screen? Good GOD!!! Could they fit more bars and numbers in there?