Thread: An Interview with Final Fantasy XIV's Producer/Director Naoki Yoshida

An Interview with Final Fantasy XIV's Producer/Director Naoki Yoshida

If you bailed on Final Fantasy XIV long ago, Square Enix is rebooting it in an effort to win you back. We get more details about the job system, Chocobo party members, and the graphical overhaul here.

Interview Here
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I see, so THAT'S why they're pulling out the monthly fee again. If those jobs are done well, it might be enough to tempt me to actually P2P something for once.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    One of the big problems for me was that XIV was near unplayable on my computer, even with a good setup. Fixing that alone would go a long ways towards drawing people back. I still wish they'd dump the whole "PS2 limitations" thing and give FFXI a total overhaul, though....FFXI-2 doesn't sound -that- bad.

i can post! thanx paws! Maudren's Avatar
    argh, why is "warrior" an advanced job? aren't there enough warrior archetypes in the game already? There's no "rogue/theif" class/jobs in the game? Isn't that a major no no for an MMO? Fighter, theif, mage, priest. Those archetypes are the cornerstones of...EVERY RPG IN EXISTENCE.

I mean I guess there's the archer class, but people who play archers aren't going to want to job up in lancer, paladin, or warrior, they want something that fits their archetype, like ranger, theif, ninja, etc etc.

Let's do this SE.
    sup?

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudren View Post
    argh, why is "warrior" an advanced job? aren't there enough warrior archetypes in the game already? There's no "rogue/theif" class/jobs in the game? Isn't that a major no no for an MMO? Fighter, theif, mage, priest. Those archetypes are the cornerstones of...EVERY RPG IN EXISTENCE.

I mean I guess there's the archer class, but people who play archers aren't going to want to job up in lancer, paladin, or warrior, they want something that fits their archetype, like ranger, theif, ninja, etc etc.

Let's do this SE.
    Thief, thief, thief, thief (I before E, except after C)! We'll just have to wait and see what they end up churning out. My impression is that the XIV team wants to make this relaunch much more successful than the first one, so they are sure to take their time making sure stuff is balanced and makes sense. Also, you have to keep in mind that all of this totally depends upon the mythos of XIV. This reworking of the system might not make sense in traditional class evolution terms, but hopefully it'll all come together in the coming updates.

i can post! thanx paws! Maudren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CofLSilk View Post
    Thief, thief, thief, thief (I before E, except after C)! We'll just have to wait and see what they end up churning out. My impression is that the XIV team wants to make this relaunch much more successful than the first one, so they are sure to take their time making sure stuff is balanced and makes sense. Also, you have to keep in mind that all of this totally depends upon the mythos of XIV. This reworking of the system might not make sense in traditional class evolution terms, but hopefully it'll all come together in the coming updates.
    I want to claim it was a typo, but then I spelled it that way like, three times.

I also want to get annoyed that you had to call me out with the spellcheck, but then I remember how annoying it is when people spell rogue as "rouge", so I'm just going to sex my wife and call it a night.
    sup?

Quote Originally Posted by CofLSilk View Post
    One of the big problems for me was that XIV was near unplayable on my computer, even with a good setup. Fixing that alone would go a long ways towards drawing people back. I still wish they'd dump the whole "PS2 limitations" thing and give FFXI a total overhaul, though....FFXI-2 doesn't sound -that- bad.
    The PS2 version has now become horribly glitchy because of the current skeleton crew working FFXI. When you talk to an NPC the game will randomly freeze so that you have to DC on purpose to fix it. I used to like it because it was the most stable out of the three versions but this has totally changed. Plus Sony doesn't support PS2 development anymore....

This is one reason why even the JP players who are hardcore PS2 keep trying to push SE to drop the PS2 in favor of a PS3 edition of FFXI which I don't know if that will ever happen.
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    This is one reason why even the JP players who are hardcore PS2 keep trying to push SE to drop the PS2 in favor of a PS3 edition of FFXI which I don't know if that will ever happen.
    Final Fantasy XI: Vita Edition! Believe.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Daddy Dragon II Administrator Firemyst's Avatar
    Careful there, Mac, or I'll start calling you the Sony Fanboy again.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    Final Fantasy XI: Vita Edition! Believe.
    Actually, I heard a rumor that they might be thinking of that.

It's not a rumour per se, it's just not a confirmed game either. We discussed this post-podcast, but without going into deep detail FFXI was on a list of proposed concepts for the Vita which has since leaked.