Thread: RPGCast - Episode 197: "Roast Chicken with Demon Fries"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 197: "Roast Chicken with Demon Fries"

RPGCast - Episode 197: "Roast Chicken with Demon Fries"

Chocobos are getting into the midst of battles in FFXIV. Demons are being given for free with World of Warcraft subscriptions. Pandas are invading and...taking a nap? It's been a weird couple of weeks, but the RPG Cast is back to guide you through it.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/197

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Roast Chicken with Demon Fries"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

According to the FaQ for the annual pass thing Blizzard is doing, it states that if you have an account that the time ran out on and you wanna re-subscribe to join the annual pass program that you can. Went and re-subscribed today and it won't let me do the annual pass thing. I know my account is good. Kinda annoyed about it. Will have to try again later I guess. Also have to send them an e-mail.

Got it settled just had to call them.
    Last edited by VonBeardly; 10-23-2011 at 11:44 PM.
    Twitter: @vonbeardly just started and mostly use it to tweet about games i'm playing.
    PSN: theharv00 (blank invites will be ignored)
    http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/496/theharv00.png

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    That censor that you made for the Catherine review was genius! I was cracking up yo!
    I just finished playing the Dungeon Defenders demo and I think it is SWEET! I might buy it after I finish White Knight Chronicles 2.
    I'll probably buy FF14 for PS3 when it comes out. By that time it should be a damn good game, I'd like to think.

Hakuouki is a reverse harem story. Unless I'm seriously mistaken, it doesn't have any complex gameplay. You can learn a little about it on the Visual Novel Database -- http://vndb.org/v1715 -- and if you're okay with spoilers, then read 4 Shiki's review at http://sandeian.wordpress.com/2010/0...eview-hakuouki

That said, I thought it was a rather unusual choice for localization. Especially since few companies have released worksafe visual novels or translated romance games in English as full retail products. Also, it seems odd that the only English version will be on the PSP, both on PSN and as a retail disc. The PSP isn't a failure, but it is not usually considered profitable among English speaking companies. Finally, I was surprised to hear that Aksys Games will release Hakuouki right around the same that the Vita is available for sale worldwide. I made sure to post on Aksys' message board, and express my concerns about whether the company will be able to sell more than a few copies.

As of this writing, a number of freeware creators and indie game groups have released reverse harem stories and complex games in English. And some people have managed to make fan translation patches for a few reverse harem games. So while it's true that Aksys is taking a risk by releasing a niche product, at the same time there's already a decent variety of visual novels and games available for English speaking fans.

A somewhat related question: is there a video game (or an RPG if you wish to be specific) which you've purchased and enjoyed, even though you believe there's only a few other fans who have even heard of it?

Host of The Sectorcast Rosestorm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by caddyalan View Post
    A somewhat related question: is there a video game (or an RPG if you wish to be specific) which you've purchased and enjoyed, even though you believe there's only a few other fans who have even heard of it?
    The Legend of Dragoon
    Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
    Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
    A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.

The only RPG example I can think of would be to second Rosestorm's mention of "The Legend of Dragoon."

The other game I can think of is Ring of Red. For years after it's release, I'd have thought I was the only guy who'd ever played it. Its setting and mecha were my sort of thing, so I enjoyed it from start to finish.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001

I know most people that have tried the game hate it but more people have never heard of it is a game called 7th Saga for the SNES. Not sure why but I love that game and not a single one of my gaming friends has ever heard of it.
    Twitter: @vonbeardly just started and mostly use it to tweet about games i'm playing.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Dokapon Kingdom! Nobody bought it, it's terrible single-player, but it's fairly amusing with more than two players. This weekend we just continued the longest ever Dokapon Kingdom game with a friend who lives out of town and visits every other year or so.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Dokapon Kingdom! Nobody bought it, it's terrible single-player, but it's fairly amusing with more than two players. This weekend we just continued the longest ever Dokapon Kingdom game with a friend who lives out of town and visits every other year or so.
    hrmm that reminds me i still have to try my copy of Dokapon. Have had that game for a long time and still haven't played it. Probably because if I played it now it would only be me playing it.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VonBeardly View Post
    hrmm that reminds me i still have to try my copy of Dokapon. Have had that game for a long time and still haven't played it. Probably because if I played it now it would only be me playing it.
    Yeah, I really recommend getting a couple friends together to play it. The game really isn't very fun if you don't have anybody to beat up and give a poo head.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Secret of the Stars was very obscure, no one never knew of what game I was talking about.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    Secret of the Stars was very obscure, no one never knew of what game I was talking about.
    I remember playing that abit when it first came out. Also remember it being reletively bland, but an ok RPG for people just starting in the genre.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Both Baten Kaitos games fall under that. While I know a number of people who've played the first game, you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone who has played the second game and even fewer who've played both. They're great games, and it's a shame that they're so very overlooked, especially the second game.

Another would be Lunar Knights. Now that's an obscure game. Or at least I've met very few people who've played it, or even heard of it or know that it's part of the Boktai series.
    Last edited by Strawberry Eggs; 10-27-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    Another would be Lunar Knights. Now that's an obscure game. Or at least I've met very few people who've played it, or even heard of it or know that it's part of the Boktai series.
    I think everyone with a DS knew about Lunar Knights when it came out -- it got positive reviews and was one of the best early DS titles before the market was inundated. It was forgotten when the DS became the go-to system for 2D action games, and latecomers to the handheld would probably never hear of it and never be recommended it. It was a fun game and probably the 2nd best action game I played on the DS after Dawn of Sorrow.

Baten Kaitos came out right after mainstream review sources suddenly decided they all hated JRPGs and wouldn't give them much positive attention, and my memory is that it was portrayed as bad-weird rather than good-weird. Poor marketing and an awful title didn't help. As one of the very few Gamecube RPGs, I'd assume everyone heard of it, but you're right that at least on these forums it seems like not many people have, so maybe I assume incorrectly.

For recent titles, Baroque is the one I enjoyed and I don't think many people have heard of. The only people I know who have heard of it are staff members here, and then only in the context of "that game Glenn liked because he's an idiot," although Atlus USA had the newsletter by then, so maybe most people remember it as "one of those Atlus games I got e-mails about and ignored." For older titles, I'll go with Sacrifice.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Legend of Dragoon isn't really obscure. It's just that most people completely forgot about it, like every other not-very-good JRPG from the 90s.

I can't think of much myself. Back in 2009 I would have voted Knights of the Chalice, but that's gotten some decent attention in PC circles over the past few years. Maybe Prelude to Darkness, although precisely how "good" that game is would be up for debate.