Thread: Story Details Surface for New Suikoden

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar

Story Details Surface for New Suikoden

Want to know more about Suikoden: Centennial Tapestry? Well, it seems the "Centennial" part of its subtitle is there for a good reason.

Story
    Last edited by Strawberry Eggs; 10-31-2011 at 04:39 PM.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Time travel makes me iffy, but if they do it right with travel between the two periods, it might make for some interesting conversations between grandparents and grandchildren, among other things.

Whatever happened to sweeping drama, political intrigue, and civil war? To me, that was what made Suikoden most interesting - a mostly-believable plot to which wouldn't seem out-of-place in actual history if it weren't for the occasional injection of magic or non-human races. None of the ones I played centered around "a group of people who must defeat a terrible monster" :|

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Zhi View Post
    Whatever happened to sweeping drama, political intrigue, and civil war? To me, that was what made Suikoden most interesting - a mostly-believable plot to which wouldn't seem out-of-place in actual history if it weren't for the occasional injection of magic or non-human races. None of the ones I played centered around "a group of people who must defeat a terrible monster" :|
    Literal, or figurative terrible monster? In the other games I mean.

It's only been figurative in the others, or at least the ones I remember. There may have been some literal huge monster at the end, but it was never the central focus and was always more of a means to an end for one of the major political powers.

If we're lucky they'll say something on the lines of it being summoned every 100 years by some foolish nation wanting to conquer the world.

I wonder if the monster could be an incarnate of a true rune?

In Suikoden 1, 2, 3, and 5, the final bosses were incarnates of a true rune.

Maybe the summoned monster in Suikoden Centennial Tapestries is an incarnate of one of the 27 true runes.

This makes me feel so happy, I'm in love with this series and its been too long since Suikoden 5, ahh I just cant wait.

I hope this game sells well enough in Japan to ensure a Vita game in the series, as I don't see any hope for a US release for this one.

Without more storyline details this does not even sound like it should be using the suikoden name for its game title.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Well, we really don't have much to go on yet. :-p

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Banned Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zbornak View Post
    I hope this game sells well enough in Japan to ensure a Vita game in the series, as I don't see any hope for a US release for this one.
    1) US sales are irrelevant for japanese made game releases

2) Suikoden sold enough on the DS to warrent a psp release. I think the series is fine

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Zbornak is saying that it seems unlikely that this particular Suikoden game will be released here because of the PSP. North American gamers just aren't buying games for the thing, no matter the series. We haven't even seen a localization announcement for FF Type-0 yet, and Square Enix pretty much releases everything Final Fantasy over here.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Zbornak, just because the PSP is not selling well in North America doesn't mean we won't see Suikoden Centennial Tapestries published here.

Secondly, since North America has the highest PSP sales figures to date (Source: WikiPedia), I believe there is hope that Suikoden Centennial Tapestries will be published there.

In addition, since most gamers will not buy the PSVita right away, the PSP will not be dead for a while yet. If you remember the start of the Super NES era in late 1991, Nintendo and its publishing licensees were still producing games for the NES until 1993.

Since Suikoden games generate most sales in North America, I can't see why Konami will not publish this next Suikoden in our side of the Pacific.
    Last edited by TheMoose; 11-03-2011 at 05:09 AM.

If it gets localized I'll likely grab it no matter what as I want to support the series. I hope we get a new console Suikoden again some day though.

Yes, and hopefully, the gap won't be measured in Duke Nukem years.
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
    - Mark Twain