Thread: Even More Final Fantasy XIII-2 Details Emerge

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Even More Final Fantasy XIII-2 Details Emerge

Everybody's talking about Final Fantasy XIII-2 this week as the Japanese press embargo has lifted. Fans should be pleased to know that they'll be able to accessorize their pet monsters.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    90% of the cutscenes are in-engine rendered? I didn't play XIII, but that seems like a big change from their approach with the series in the last generation.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Well, you can see it in all the screens. The important-looking conversations are all in-engine. I'm sure that helped Square Enix develop the game as quickly as it did.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    I'm sure that helped Square Enix develop the game as quickly as it did.
    No doubt. I'm just kinda tired of the games being play for 30 minutes and then getting a 5 minute cutscene that's all CGI, rinse and repeat. Especially when the KH series is prolific in their use of in-engine cutscenes. It just feels less disruptive to me.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

I like the sound of the way monster companions are handled, and a modified Crystarium sounds perfect for this game. Double purchase from me on day 1, so that me and my girlfriend can play it side by side, like we did with 13

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    FF13's cutscenes were mostly in-engine as well though.

I really wish they'd make the Crystarium 2D already. It's so damn hard on the eyes in 13.

I like the sound of the time travel. You can speed up conversations and go back and make different choices. Isn't that what we all want? To be able to see all possible outcomes in a single playthrough. It's what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryZoltan View Post
    I like the sound of the time travel. You can speed up conversations and go back and make different choices. Isn't that what we all want? To be able to see all possible outcomes in a single playthrough. It's what I want.
    Yup this sounds awesome.

Like you I would love this in every game with dialog options. Unfortunately, the feature would seem out of place without a story to put it into context, like FFXIII-2 seems to do. Anyways, can't wait to see how it's done.

Ditto. It makes my neurotic, RPG-playing behind happy.
    "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
    Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Shakespeare, Hamlet Act I, Scene 5

"You need mad bank for lobster cash." - Sabin1001

FF13's cutscenes were mostly in-engine as well though.

I really wish they'd make the Crystarium 2D already. It's so damn hard on the eyes in 13.

Actually, for reasons that will only ever be known to SE (though likely pertaining to framerate), many of the FFXIII cutscenes which look to be rendered in realtime, were actually videos - so 90% realtime event scenes is actually a pretty big deal for SE using this engine.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Some of this does sound interesting, but I am still uneasy with the lack of party characters, just Noel and Serah. I understand that generic monsters are recruitable, but the player characters have always been one of the biggest positive parts of ff games. Maybe if there are elite monsters, like Shiva, Ifrit, etc, then this monster companion concept would be worthwhile. If these companions are generic, wolf, or imp, then what the heck are they thinking?

They are probably thinking that the kids love collecting Pokemon, and that a two character party is likely the right decision for the game they intend to make.

BTW, Crisis Core had a one character party, so there's that.

i can post! thanx paws! Maudren's Avatar
    crisis core was an action rpg with the singular purpose of telling zack's story though.
    sup?

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Frankly, I don't consider the 2 playable characters thing a valid argument against the game. I mean, PLAYABLE MONSTERS! What part of that is unlikeable? Especially since knowing SE, they'd probably throw a few summons our way for being playable.

*imagines playable Bahamut and drools*

Quote Originally Posted by Maudren View Post
    crisis core was an action rpg with the singular purpose of telling zack's story though.
    And this is a pseudo turn based RPG with the singular purpose of telling Sera and Noel's story.

I don't understand what the complaint is.

This obviously isn't a functional complaint, given the vast roster of monsters available to fill the third party slot.

If this is a narrative complaint then you had best ask yourself whether the narrative would be improved by tacking on superfluous characters when the core story is about Noel and Sera.

Besides which, you are also traveling with a mechanical Moogal - so you have three permanent party members featured in cutscenes, while both Snow, Lightning and Hope look to feature heavily in specific timelines.
    Last edited by SiliconNooB; 11-05-2011 at 09:18 PM.