Thread: Game of Game of Thrones Coming in 2012

Game of Game of Thrones Coming in 2012

Winter is coming and so is an action RPG based on Game of Thrones. Atlus is working with HBO and Cyanide Studios to bring it to North America in 2012.

Story
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

What does HBO have to do with this? Anything beyond allowing them to use the likeness of certain actors?

I don't know how excited I can get about this. A Song of Ice and Fire is great, and you could probably make a really good RPG in that universe, but Cyanide has a pretty bad track record, and Atlus being involved doesn't really mean what it used to (especially when it comes to western games). I'm also relatively suspicious of any RPG that makes you switch perspective between multiple characters. How are you supposed to immerse yourself in a role when the role keeps changing?

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofDravaris View Post
    What does HBO have to do with this? Anything beyond allowing them to use the likeness of certain actors?

I don't know how excited I can get about this. A Song of Ice and Fire is great, and you could probably make a really good RPG in that universe, but Cyanide has a pretty bad track record, and Atlus being involved doesn't really mean what it used to (especially when it comes to western games). I'm also relatively suspicious of any RPG that makes you switch perspective between multiple characters. How are you supposed to immerse yourself in a role when the role keeps changing?
    Final Fantasy does it all the time. Or did you not play FF6, FF9, or FF13? Xenosaga did the same thing. It's not an uncommon occurrence.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

I'm talking about proper RPGs, which I assume this game is at least attempting to be since they've mentioned choices that effect the narrative. Obviously it doesn't matter if you switch perspectives in a Final Fantasy game because you have no control over their personalities anyway. Here you actually have to think about the kind personality you want your characters to have, so with two characters you're going to have to switch between two different mindsets. Unless you're lame and decide to play them both the same way.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Well, it could certainly be more like The Witcher, in which you make plenty of choices, but Geralt still certainly has his own personality. Having more than one main character makes a lot of sense for a game based on Martin's series, so I understand where they're coming from on that one. However, yeah, given the miserable reviews for Cyanide's last Game of Thrones game...

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

They simply stated that you get to choose between one of two characters. I imagine that means a choice you make at the beginning and are stuck with, not one where you shift between. That is, unless I completely misread the press release.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

It would be pretty cool if it did work that way, but based on past information they've released it doesn't sound like that's how it works. I think Ocelot is right in that there isn't going to be much role-playing involved anyway, so maybe it's a moot point.

It is the same company making this that made the game of thrones rts game for the pc earlier this year which means this game has little hope of being any good, imo.

French video with some gameplay footage and concept art.

Note the comparison to Knights of the Old Republic when they explain the combat system.