Thread: Diablo III: Book of Cain Impression

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar

Diablo III: Book of Cain Impression

Stay a while and listen to what I have to say about the Book of Cain. Here are our hands-on impressions of this artifact from the Diablo universe.

-Link to Story
    Last edited by risingsun; 11-17-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    I think I need to get this. I really wish they had done something like this with Starcraft II. I was massively disappointed to open the box and find no manual, as Blizzard manuals are usually 50% backstory and other tidbits about the universe.
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    You, know during BlizzCon Chris Metzen and Mikey Neilson mentioned that they were so pleased with how the Book of Cain turned out, that they want to create more in fiction source books for their other games.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see a journal or log written by Zeratul or Thrall in the future recounting the history of their worlds.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    That's what I was thinking when I read this, shoptroll. PC game manuals used to have such well-written backstories, and I remember reading every page of the Starcraft and Diablo 2 manuals. It's a pipe dream of mine that manuals will go back to doing this someday, and I'm glad Blizzard is getting all that info out in another illustrated format. What I wonder is how much of this new book will be rehashed info from the previous game's manual, and how much it will alter the backstory. I don't think anyone cares about Diablo's world history enough to be enraged by changes; I'm just curious to what extent this book felt the need to be new, and to what extent it retells the original history in a new voice.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by risingsun View Post
    You, know during BlizzCon Chris Metzen and Mikey Neilson mentioned that they were so pleased with how the Book of Cain turned out, that they want to create more in fiction source books for their other games.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see a journal or log written by Zeratul or Thrall in the future recounting the history of their worlds.
    That would be nice. One of my gripes with SC2's plot is that I felt like I was supposed to care about some of the characters but had a real hard time because they jumped about 10 years between games and the game glosses over everything that was presumably covered in the extended universe books. That's precisely what I would've expected their manuals of old to handle with aplomb.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thCircle View Post
    That's what I was thinking when I read this, shoptroll. PC game manuals used to have such well-written backstories, and I remember reading every page of the Starcraft and Diablo 2 manuals. It's a pipe dream of mine that manuals will go back to doing this someday, and I'm glad Blizzard is getting all that info out in another illustrated format. What I wonder is how much of this new book will be rehashed info from the previous game's manual, and how much it will alter the backstory. I don't think anyone cares about Diablo's world history enough to be enraged by changes; I'm just curious to what extent this book felt the need to be new, and to what extent it retells the original history in a new voice.
    My copies of the SC and D2 manuals are completely dogeared and beat up I read them so much But I'm cool with a $25 book with good production values that gives them room to flesh everything out. Starcraft needs this real bad I think, and Warcraft too since I have no idea what's transpired in the MMO. I'd love to be brought up to speed without having to read a ton of supplementary books and comics which may or may not be acceptable reading material.

Have you seen the "manuals" that come with 3DS games? Completely saddening
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Wow this looks like a gorgeous little piece of extended universe. I am all over it. I love the Mass Effect books and comics, as well as the Dead Space ones, so this has me juiced.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief