Thread: Torchlight II Pushed to 2012

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar

Torchlight II Pushed to 2012

It looks like 2012 is going to be the year of the Action-RPG now that Torchlight II is joining Diablo III for an early 2012 launch. You'd best buy another mouse, just in case you wear out the first one.

-Story
    Last edited by risingsun; 11-17-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Have towel will travel Member shoptroll's Avatar
    Time to start a betting pool about which horse reaches the finish line first. It's on!

(Looking forward to both games actually)
    So long & thanks for all the fish!

Not good. I'm sure Runic has a devoted group of fans who will buy the game whenever it comes out, but they're going to miss out on sales to people who are simply desperate for something before Diablo 3. I wasn't a big fan of the first Torchlight, but Torchlight 2 is a game I would consider buying if it was to come out well ahead of Diablo 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Azilis View Post
    Not good. I'm sure Runic has a devoted group of fans who will buy the game whenever it comes out, but they're going to miss out on sales to people who are simply desperate for something before Diablo 3. I wasn't a big fan of the first Torchlight, but Torchlight 2 is a game I would consider buying if it was to come out well ahead of Diablo 3.
    I'm not sure that's totally true in the long run though. The Battle.net 2.0 always-on controversy soured some people on the game, and if TL2 isn't $20 I'm going to be surprised. Also, mod support will probably draw enough people to the game as well.

It'll be fine.

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shoptroll View Post
    I'm not sure that's totally true in the long run though. The Battle.net 2.0 always-on controversy soured some people on the game, and if TL2 isn't $20 I'm going to be surprised. Also, mod support will probably draw enough people to the game as well.

It'll be fine.
    Torchlight II has has already been confirmed to be $20 in just about every territory.

Also LAN confirmed, and TorchED II will be available mid to late 2012.

Daddy Dragon II Administrator Firemyst's Avatar
    At this point, I hardly think it matters. Those who were going to play TL2 "to wait for D3" have already enjoyed the beta Blizzard offered and know if they will bother with TL2 or not. The release of Diablo's beta makes it clear that those who want Torchlight for Torchlight will already be buying it, so make the best damn game you can for them.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell

Quote Originally Posted by Firemyst View Post
    Those who were going to play TL2 "to wait for D3" have already enjoyed the beta Blizzard offered
    I didn't get in!

Yay. This Fall is killing me. Way too many good games to play. This will save me a few bucks.

This isn't too surprising, and also a boon, as I have plenty already on my plate. By the time it comes out, I'll be ready for more hack and slash fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by Firemyst View Post
    At this point, I hardly think it matters. Those who were going to play TL2 "to wait for D3" have already enjoyed the beta Blizzard offered and know if they will bother with TL2 or not. The release of Diablo's beta makes it clear that those who want Torchlight for Torchlight will already be buying it, so make the best damn game you can for them.
    I'm not criticizing them for not rushing the game out the door unfinished. The game will be a success for Runic, but sales (particularly early sales) aren't going to be as high as they could have been. Plus, not everyone was lucky enough to get into the D3 beta.

The only criticism I'd offer here is that they put so much priority on getting the 360 version of Torchlight out quickly. Trading a few months later for the 360 version of TL1 for a few months earlier for TL2 would have been worth it IMO had they been able to do that. They had a serious opportunity (maybe they still will) to get the game out in the perfect window to maximize early sales with excitement for D3 building.

Daddy Dragon II Administrator Firemyst's Avatar
    The only criticism I'd offer here is that they put so much priority on getting the 360 version of Torchlight out quickly. Trading a few months later for the 360 version of TL1 for a few months earlier for TL2 would have been worth it IMO had they been able to do that. They had a serious opportunity (maybe they still will) to get the game out in the perfect window to maximize early sales with excitement for D3 building.
    Oh, well, I agree with this entirely. They missed the window for TL2 to please all those waiting for D3, so I just meant that, missing that window earlier this year, the delay does little now in regards to that.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell