Thread: Everquest II free to play in December

Everquest II free to play in December

Everquest II plans to go free to play. If you have wanted to check this game out over the last few years, your chance is almost here.

Details are here.

It sadly is barely different from their previous F2P model, EQ II extended. The core restrictions are still in of 8 classes, 4 races, and no fabled/legendary/mythic gear equips unless you pay per month.

Which is too bad, I'd gladly pay to unlock some of those things, but right now half my characters would be stripped bare by the latter restriction.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Interesting that SOE would implement that kind of limited FTP system soon after they put out the very generous system in DC Universe Online. Free players aren't going to stick around or invest in microtransactions if they're going to be gimped like that.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Well DCUO also had the had of DC Comics pulling part of the strings since it's a licensed material. Where as EQII only has the hands of Sony in the basket.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

What I don't understand is them not charging say, 5-10-15 to unlock the ability to wear the fancier gear on a per character or account basis. They could keep the high end dungeons and raids as a pay to play only thing, but without access to that tier of gear, you can't really do any of the lower level dungeons, as thats all that they drop as rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by freykin View Post
    What I don't understand is them not charging say, 5-10-15 to unlock the ability to wear the fancier gear on a per character or account basis. They could keep the high end dungeons and raids as a pay to play only thing, but without access to that tier of gear, you can't really do any of the lower level dungeons, as thats all that they drop as rewards.
    I think it goes back to what I mentioned about DC having their hands in the pot with DCUO and then for EQII they don't so Sony can do whatever the hell they want. Yes that style makes more sense especially since thats what was done with DCUO
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Quote Originally Posted by freykin View Post
    THere are items people can buy in the marketplace that allows wearing fabled gear. Its like 50 cents for a 5 charge item that unlocks fabled items to be wearable.

ah, thanks for clearing that up, Lodor3. It isn't clear going by the matrix they showed of free/silver/gold tiers of play, and since I've only played as a pay to play member, I never noticed that. That makes much more sense then in how they are doing things.

Yeah, this whole "change" they are doing is more or less just making all servers into eq2x servers. The matrix hardly changed and nearly all market items from current eq2x will be still for sale with the change.

Good to know that there is a cash shop item that solves the biggest problem I cared about of f2p, which is the gear restriction.

I wonder if while P2P, or gold, and then reverting to not, if I'll still have access to my non free race and class combo characters? If so, I'll gladly pay a little every now and then to unlock those items for my Erudite Paladin/Ratonga Necromancer.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Wow, I'm not sure why EQ2 was so popular. Even making it free I wouldn't want to touch it. I remember playing it for a day then disposing of the game, LOL.

It has an interesting world with a huge amount of area to explore, the combat is solid, and the customization is pretty good too. It's improved in every possible way since it's launch, IMO, and not many games can claim that.

Could it be better? Yes, but that goes for all MMOs. When it comes down to it, me and my girlfriend have a blast playing it for hours together, and that's all I can ask of a game.

EQ2 has more depth than WoW but the system reqs are way higher so you cant play it that well with super old tech like you can WoW.

Also, if you revert to bronze/silver from a gold sub you will not be able to play non free race/classes till you go back to subbing or you buy those race/class packs. Over on another game/mmo forum someone did the math and over time you "can" save a lot of money if you are just playing on a silver account and buy the race/class packs that you need and the gear unlock items.

Also if you drop gold down to bronze or silver you will keep all your mastered spells but you wont be able to wear your fabled gear anymore last i heard. When you log into a toon that has fable gear on as a silver/bronze member itll all unequip and go into your overflow.

I liked the graphics in EQ2, and the gameplay wasn't too too bad. However, I felt that they took away alot of the uniqueness of the races and the sense of size of the world when they basically threw all the races into two separate cities (back when I played anyway). I had enjoyed the difference in starting locations as a Dark Elf, or Human follower of Bertoxx, or an Erudite Shadow Knight/Paladin/etc. when I played the original EQ. Things like the distance and differences between the starting cities gave the world more scope.

So, even with a prettier engine and clever bits like opening classes to every race... I couldn't find myself as engaged by the world with my Dark Elf/Wood Elf or whatever feeling less unique without their own hometowns and factions.

Currently there are four starting locations available, to my knowledge. there's New Halas, an icy barbarian zone, Kelethin, the wood elves home, Neriak, the dark elf city, and I forget it's name, but the starting location for the Sarnak. All have a pretty good quest chain leading from levels 1-20, at which point the world pretty much opens up for you with lots of different places to go.

Freeport and Qeynos have had a ton happen to them storywise, and are intended for higher level players to end up at, I think, now. I know my Paladin still recalls to the Erudite district of Qeynos, but none of my newer characters have been able to choose that as a starting zone for at least a year now.

I do agree that the way the original EQ did it was pretty awesome, but I can see why they are consolidating starting locations now, to try and make it so zones are more densely populated.

I personally am taking a break from it, as Age of Discovery isn't including Destiny of Velious, breaking their tradition of buy the newest expansion, get all the old ones too. That and between now and April at least two mmos I want to try out are coming out, so when I return to EQ 2, as I know I will, it will be all shiny and full of new things again.