Thread: Risen 2: Dark Waters Community Q & A

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar

Risen 2: Dark Waters Community Q & A

RPGamer crowd sourced this interview with Deep Silver's Daniel Oberlercher on all things Risen 2. Check it out for an interesting and nuanced community Q & A session.

-Link to interview
    Last edited by risingsun; 11-29-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Huh. All of those questions were mine. Weren't there others? Well...looking back now I see the other questions were kind of answered in previews, but I would liked to have seen a definitive answer regarding ship-to-ship battles.

Those last two questions were just throwaway questions. I didn't think you'd actually submit them, heh.

I like how they use "gatekeeper" creatures. It's the traditional way to block off areas in RPG's, but I was under the impression most gamers hate stumbling into an area full of overpowered creatures.

And yes, I can tell the difference between gatekeeper creatures and some random skeleton with a club. Heck, I killed an Ashbeast and grabbed the Berzerker sword at Lv.5.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 11-29-2011 at 02:49 PM.

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    Oh, I can give you a definative answer on Ship-to-ship battles. There are none. Every interview I have sat in they always say no. So I didn't bother submitting it. Besides, you asked a few interesting questions that a lot of other people, myself included, would have completely overlooked. Good job.
    Last edited by risingsun; 11-29-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Well, I was curious about why a modern open world RPG used so many traditional RPG conventions and a fairly one-note character, but I suppose the narrow focus on being rogue-ish explains that (I figured as much with regards to dialogue). I know a lot of critics chalked it up to bad game design.

Hmm..."pirate magic", eh? The only magic I would consider "pirate-y" is voodoo, so that would mean curses and voodoo dolls and the like, unless you consider pirate magic of other cultures. I don't know about that.

I wish fewer people didn't care so much about realism. Like a few seconds of digging time and a chest appearing before you is such a bad thing.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 11-29-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    Huh. All of those questions were mine. Weren't there others? Well...looking back now I see the other questions were kind of answered in previews, but I would liked to have seen a definitive answer regarding ship-to-ship battles.

Those last two questions were just throwaway questions. I didn't think you'd actually submit them, heh.

I like how they use "gatekeeper" creatures. It's the traditional way to block off areas in RPG's, but I was under the impression most gamers hate stumbling into an area full of overpowered creatures.

And yes, I can tell the difference between gatekeeper creatures and some random skeleton with a club. Heck, I killed an Ashbeast and grabbed the Berzerker sword at Lv.5.
    Well, we thank you for the questions. This was supposed to be a community Q&A, so hopefully we'll have more interest for the next time we do this.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    Nah, those questions were legit, and the most fun interview questions are ones with a goofy slant that they haven't been asked before. Back when I participated more and Mac would ask staff members to come up with interview questions, I would always try to make ridiculous ones.

EDIT: Just look at the goofy stuff we asked in interviews back before Mac could just tweet jokes to Atlus USA. I'd love to claim "A talking shovel? Seriously?" was a question I came up with, but I don't think it was me.
    Last edited by 7thCircle; 11-30-2011 at 07:29 PM.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

This one is my favourite:

Why the move to CD soundtracks with everything? Gamers would likely pay for the complete soundtrack instead of just a sampling, so why not limited editions (other than the fact that an Atlus game is a limited edition by definition) that include that?

Aram: What, you didn't enjoy the bonus soundtrack CD that came with this interview?

Yeah, the super long shoveling animations was a big turn-off for many people. I've read about some people who didn't dig up anything because they hated it so much (yes, they hated the pirate treasure quest).