Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 59 - Deep Light Dungeons

Code: Kirin Administrator JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 59 - Deep Light Dungeons

So the only way you know the Shining series is by its superb tactical installments? Well, there were a couple of games that did some first person dungeon crawling also.
    Just call 'em the Darkness and Holy Ark.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

these two were great, did have lot of fun finding everything and making the maps!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    http://backloggery.com/spare/sig.gif

I'm curious how many people have ever touched Holy Ark. Darkness is tough to go back to after playing what Camelot did with its spiritual successor.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

I did play both of them, only play Holy Ark, once since I borrow the game from a friend, so long ago... after listening to you all, got back to the internet to try and look of the game play and story to see that I do not remember much. But I remember that I did get 100% item found on my first play though, my friend wanted me to make him all the map and found all secret so he would not have to look for them...

As I remember, the first time I did play darkness, I did it without drawing map, only using the "eagle eye" spell when I was lost. I guess I did have fun play with it, cause I replay it and did all the map and trying to take as many note as possible, the like what monster drop what and the like and I think I redid it after it at least one more time. For me it's a great game of the Genesis console, but I like a lot more Phantasy Star 4 and Warsong. Well I guess back then, I did have a lot of free time in my hand, was in school, and not many games was coming out, not sure I would do it all over again, now with all availale easily on the internet and all... but I guess it's part of the fun to try and find out everything by yourself.
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    http://backloggery.com/spare/sig.gif

Stuff I learned in this podcast:
    "Shining in the Darkness" is mistranslated
    "Shining Force Final Conflict" ties together plots of early Shining games

Re: no map
    "When I was your age, we memorized the maps. None of this graph paper or website funny business. Get off my lawn!"

When I played, I used an emulator to speedup easy battles.

I never had a lot of problems in Darkness with enemies that use Desoul. But if you were unlucky, I could see how it would be annoying. Is there an item that revives your people?

There is a spell "Peace which is learned around 1/3 of the way through the game. For a mana cost, the party avoids enemies that are far too weak for them. It can help you get to the point you left off quickly. What bugs me is that there is no such feature in Shining the Holy Ark.

No parents allowed in videogames.

There is a spell "Peace which is learned around 1/3 of the way through the game. For a mana cost, the party avoids enemies that are far too weak for them. It can help you get to the point you left off quickly. What bugs me is that there is no such feature in Shining the Holy Ark.
    I often found that the encounter rate shrinks dramatically if you go through an area you haven't seen in awhile, though. In particular the stretch of the Desire mine that must be crossed in order to reach the final area never triggers any fights for me.
    I don't remember offhand if any resurrection items can be found, but they sure as hell won't help the cramped inventory even if they exist. Milo can revive the other two with his magic. If he goes down, time to get out of there.