Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPGCast - Episode 203: "Arrow In The Knee"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 203: "Arrow In The Knee"

RPGCast - Episode 203: "Arrow In The Knee"

Is anyone going to pay for Final Fantasy XIV? Will the Last Story ever come out in the US? Will Final Fantasy Tactics ever come out for iPad? Will Mikel ever find his Skyrim version number?

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/203

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Arrow In The Knee"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Daddy Dragon II Administrator Firemyst's Avatar
    Oh come on! I even found it before the show was over.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    OK, I gotta bring you guys to task again on Call of Duty.

While not as good narratively as Black Ops, the Modern Warfare series has quite the thrilling set of events, and they culminate it in the gassing of many European cities and the destruction of the Eiffel Tower. As to the length, while it's not Skyrim, it's only going to be 4 hours if you're playing on Regular (normal). The game is best played at Hardened, where it's more in the 6-8 range. Good rule of thumb for this generation of shooters, created by Halo and Gears of War and followed by everyone else - "Normal" is the new "easy."

And Anna... I have to ask why you think it's only the 360's online players that are full of crap. The following videos are from the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 and the PS3 version of Black Ops respectively. It should go without saying that they are not safe for human consumption, much less work.

Perhaps, Anna, you should take a moment to educate yourself and not let biases toward one system's fanbase or the other stain your views. You're far smarter than that.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Personally, I just hate "modern war" themed FPS games, I'd prefer to see more FPS titles like Half-Life or Bioshock than endless World War Three variants.

Heck, I'd take a Marathon remake at this point.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Gunclaws and Meow. Administrator Paws's Avatar
    Whoa, down boy, no need to jump up on your XBox and defend it so lovingly, though it is sweet to see. It's a stereotype, I was making fun of it, I'm perfectly aware of the number of garbage players across all forms of play.

Man i lol'd so hard
    So is it the guy talking recording or a guy recording the other people?
    and are knife one hit kills or something?
    Last edited by hoktomaster; 12-10-2011 at 09:47 PM.
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    Personally, I just hate "modern war" themed FPS games, I'd prefer to see more FPS titles like Half-Life or Bioshock than endless World War Three variants.

Well, not liking the setting and/or theme is all well and good (I personally prefer sci-fi shooters in the vein of Halo or the original Red Faction). My issue is with people who look at modern war FPS games, and Call of Duty in particular, as the end times of the gaming industry or exclusively the pastime of idiots. It's just a game, and seeing RPGamers rag on it is especially disheartening as we often complain about RPGs being maligned by other genres' fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws
    Whoa, down boy, no need to jump up on your XBox and defend it so lovingly, though it is sweet to see. It's a stereotype, I was making fun of it, I'm perfectly aware of the number of garbage players across all forms of play.
    Well, I dunno about jumping on my 360. I'm 300 pounds, so that probably won't end well for either it or me. And yeah, I'm aware of the stereotype, but the implication "if you play on the 360..." is a suggestion that other platforms are safe, which as you say isn't the case.

Maybe I'm just expecting more from a normally thoughtful community.

I will say, though, that your impersonation of a raging tryhard was hilarious.

And to show you that I'm not really trying to defend the XBL community, here's an 360 Black Ops videos. Same warnings apply.

Last edited by MasterChief; 12-10-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Gunclaws and Meow. Administrator Paws's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    I will say, though, that your impersonation of a raging tryhard was hilarious.

And to show you that I'm not really trying to defend the XBL community, here's an 360 Black Ops videos.
    Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week. Try the chicken!

I can't decide which of those videos is the most epic...they've all got their winning points.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week. Try the chicken!

I can't decide which of those videos is the most epic...they've all got their winning points.
    Oh it gets better, Paws. Check this kid who's obviously way too young to be playing anything online.

It amazes me sometimes just how seriously people take video games.

Anyway, I also have to contend with the the idea that the next consoles are the last to have a disc drive. While certainly there are some who would connect if that was the only way to play video games, I imagine many more would simply find something else to do. Then there's the issue of investment. At $50-$60 and up, people are going to want to have something that can't just be taken away on a whim. Hell, look at Steam: How many people only buy games there when Valve has one of their crazy ridiculous sales? I see the two methods of distribution co-existing in peace for a good, long while, much like movies. This is, of course, assuming the size of games doesn't increase. I'd love to see people reacting to a 2-BD release...

Seriously though, I get that Chris and several others who are privileged enough to have the absolute top-tier of internet service feel oppressed by the existence of ways to get things offline, but discs aren't going away any time soon.

I listened to this whole episodes and don't remember CoD being mentioned.

I had a discussion with some guy at work about Call of Duty the other day and he hadn't heard of Deus Ex. Prejudice vindicated.

Moderator Moderator flamethrower's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post

Makes a compelling counter arguement.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post

Wasn't that the point of Halo in the first place? Another sci-fi shooter from Bungie? Besides, Marathon was good.. I dunno about the rest of the series.
    Founder, RPGamer

Michael is right about the Skyrim version number. It used to be in the bottom left corner, but now there's just a Bethesda logo there.

Important question: Is it "in the knee" or "to the knee"?

I thought they were making the ZOE HD remake of 1 and 2 so to lead IN to ZOE 3? Oh my mistake, Kojima still intends to make it.
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/trac...iend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by hoktomaster View Post
    Man i lol'd so hard
    So is it the guy talking recording or a guy recording the other people?
    and are knife one hit kills or something?
    Melee is one-hit kill, yeah. And the guy recording isn't the one raging in any of these cases. It's just a dude playing and recording the reactions he gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender
    Important question: Is it "in the knee" or "to the knee"?
    Definitely "in the knee." That's how the guards say it.

This episode was particularly painful to listen to. Directionless as always... but the stinger at the end almost made up for it. I'd take you guys arguing about sci-fi over awkward pauses and google searches....

In terms of The Last Story I'm hoping if Xenoblade does okay and TLS does well in Europe like Xenoblade we'll see it over the summer before Wii U's fall release.

- Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff risingsun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KisakiProject View Post
    This episode was particularly painful to listen to. Directionless as always... but the stinger at the end almost made up for it. I'd take you guys arguing about sci-fi over awkward pauses and google searches....
    Fact checking kills podcasts. Half the fun of listening to a podcast is sending angry letters to the hosts about which particular details they got wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by KisakiProject View Post

In terms of The Last Story I'm hoping if Xenoblade does okay and TLS does well in Europe like Xenoblade we'll see it over the summer before Wii U's fall release.
    I think wandering off on tangents isn't a bad thing, but we seem to do it, then realize we've done it, and cut it short. It's almost like we should accept the tangent, or breeze through the news and then come up with something we thought of that we wanted to tangent off with.

As for awkward google searches, yeah. That's why I try and wiki while Chris talks, because the host pausing to search for something after someone said "I dunno" just invites dead air with open arms.
    Founder, RPGamer