Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Square Enix Guides Players Through Final Fantasy XIII-2

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Square Enix Guides Players Through Final Fantasy XIII-2

Square Enix is happy to cater once more to those needing another Final Fantasy XIII-2 media fix. This new trailer gives RPGamers a brief run-through of the battle system, with a few more screenshots on the side.

[ Story and Trailer ]
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I did not like the voice of the guy explaining things, but ignoring him, I like what I see in the game.

This video now proves my case that this game is really retarted and none of the changes I give a damn about. Also it sounds like this could be mission based which make it even worse.

I'm starting to really question your tastes...

That's too bad, AncientRune. From what I saw there, it's an improvement over the original in every way. I think I'm the only person I know who's hyped for this game coming out.

I'm probably going to pick this up, because well...it wouldn't be hard to improve on FFXIII in my opinion. Saying that, I did get quite into doing the missions and nearly 100% finished XIII even though I wasn't massively keen on it.

Most of my issues with FFXIII had to do with the characters and storyline more than mechanics. In FFXIII-2 from what I have seen still has the same bogus characters and story while adding gaming mechanics that suck like pokemon and QTE. The one issue I had with the battle system was the lack of customization with the paradigm roles which while it did make some changes its not as much as I would have liked, I would have like total control not pick formation a b or c.

Once again there problem with FFXIII was not the fact that it was super linear lack of towns and such its the fact that it was just bad in terms of story/characters, which doesnt look like it has changed. Also the fact that Serah was the worst character from FFXIII bing the main for the entire game makes it even worse.

If I dont like the characters/story I wont play it even if it had a great battle system/gameplay.

Did I mention that now to get the whole story you have to buy DLC
    Last edited by AncientRune; 12-12-2011 at 02:35 PM.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientRune View Post
    Did I mention that now to get the whole story you have to buy DLC
    Where exactly did you hear that?

All I heard is DLC gets you some exclusive weapons and accessories.

Apparently Sazh will feature in some DLC, if rumours are to be believed.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

Odds are it'll be for some minigame or something like that.

This looks like a lot of fun. I liked 13 and welcome any sequels!

Chocobo racing and carnival games. Damnit, Square. Stop teasing me with your FF VII throwbacks.

Aside from the QTEs and Pokemon junk, it has just about everything I'm looking for in a FF game. All it's missing now is a badass antagonist. Hopefully one that gets more than 1 mention throughout the game but is somehow summoned at the end: "You're the one behind this?!" I don't know! I've never seen him before!
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade

I hated FFXIII despite sinking a lot of time into it, but mostly because of the lack of player control over the game. Even though these things are largely illusory, I feel like it at least gives the player a sense of control. I like being able to take a break from the battles ever so often and just wander around. I also miss classic RPG elements such as manual exploration, discovering hidden corridors, or characters, Sound Tests (because now you gotta pay for that ish!). I miss NPCs that are actually useful (this is debatable), I miss being able to walk inside buildings and open drawers, etc. I think the next 'New' thing Final Fantasy should do is to try and incorporate some basic RPG 101 elements back into the series. I feel like there can be some kind of happy medium between innovation, and RPG basics and storytelling...it can't just be all about some weird acronym new battle system.

That said, FFXIII-2 looks very cool. It looks to have fixed most of the problems I had. The story...meh, I don't expect much from FF in terms of story anymore, so it doesn't matter to me. I just want to put stuff on my collectible monsters and name them after 80's cartoon characters.

I hated FFXIII due to its extreme linearity, lack of interaction and terrible story presentation + characters.

XIII-2 looks to have solved two out of these three problems, which has me looking forward to it.

I'm still rather pessimistic about the story though. I don't believe that Toriyama is capable of writing a decent scenario, let alone a good one - but I live to be proven wrong.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

I still don't understand how people can not like FFXIII. I found the story really exciting except for the last two chapters, where it really slows down too much. I can agree that the dungeons were too linear (but they also had some puzzles with hidden treasure chests, so it wasn't too bad). Towns just slow down the game's flow so it was a really awesome idea to remove them. The gameplay was amazing, basically the best battle system of all FF games so far. Leveling system was really good too, although I liked FFX one a bit more, because it featured different main paths.

Am I really the only one that finds town-parts in RPGs the most boring and tedious ones? I rather go grind monsters than talk to random NPCs. When I play a normal RPG I'm always like "Yay, a new dungeon *plays through*, oh no, a new town, now I have to talk to all NPCs and find out how to get to the next dungeon =.= *after talking to all* phew, finally done, time to enjoying the game again. *goes to next dungeon*". For me FFXIII succeeded in removing the parts I hated in RPGs completely without sacrificing a good story. Story is important to me, that's why I don't like pure grinding games, but what I don't like is running around a town and talk to everyone with most people not even telling me anything interesting. For me one of the worst games ever is Grandia and that is simply because the NPCs there talked way too much. And you could talk to them again and they told you something different! And not only one sentence, several pages of dialogues.
    The SaGa games do it in a good way. There or only a few NPCs in towns and they all only say one sentence usually. If they say more then one sentence they will also unlock a new dungeon at the same time.

Anyway to me re-adding town in FFXIII-2 is a step backward. But I'll buy it anyway, because it's FF. Only reason for me to skip an FF game is when it requires a monthly subscriptions.

I had the same amount of hate for the game as everybody else when I first started it until maybe 20hrs into it, but then I started liking the game and by the time I finished it I loved it. So I'm also excited for XIII-2 next month.

I'm with those who miss towns, exploration, and FF6-style shops and equipment. It seems like no one is capable of sticking to the actual JRPG "genre" without either a) being a total throwback to NES-era games, which were practically unplayable, or b) experimenting with so many "systems" it barely resembles an RPG any more. The last modern game I can remember doing this was the Shadow Hearts series (and possibly the Tales games to some extent).

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconNooB View Post
    Apparently Sazh will feature in some DLC, if rumours are to be believed.
    http://www.finalfantasy-fxn.net/inde...y-XIII-2--1167

So if I want to find out what happened with the only semi decent character I have to pay extra for it, **** that

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientRune View Post
    http://www.finalfantasy-fxn.net/inde...y-XIII-2--1167

So if I want to find out what happened with the only semi decent character I have to pay extra for it, **** that
    Yes heaven forbid they make DLC that's actually something compelling instead of downloadable clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidolfas View Post
    I'm with those who miss towns, exploration, and FF6-style shops and equipment. It seems like no one is capable of sticking to the actual JRPG "genre" without either a) being a total throwback to NES-era games, which were practically unplayable, or b) experimenting with so many "systems" it barely resembles an RPG any more. The last modern game I can remember doing this was the Shadow Hearts series (and possibly the Tales games to some extent).
    The Final Fantasy series is founded on experimenting with systems