Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 60 - Taste the Torment

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 60 - Taste the Torment

What can change the nature of a man? Quite a few things, actually, but this game is definitely one of them.
    Goin' onto the Planescape.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Lustmord's music was used in the trailer, for those who are wondering what could have been:

It might have been the difference between a decent soundtrack and an excellent soundtrack, but oh well.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Can't get enough of the good stuff!

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    The conversation with Ravel is my favorite section of dialogue in any video game. The build up to it is fantastic because the game keeps reassuring you there is no way Ravel is alive, and if she is alive, she is permanently mazed and unreachable, and even if you meet her she murders everyone who asks for favors. I always liked the line she speaks to Nordom when explaining his torment:

Once it knew only *suffering*’s definition, but now it feels its sting. There is no room for '2' in the world of 1's and 0's, no place for 'mayhap' in a house of trues and falses, and no 'green with envy' in a black and white world.
    It's one of many lines from the game that stuck with me over the years. The conversation with Coaxmetal is also great, although he's well hidden enough that I missed him the first time I played it. I always get chills talking to Fell too, since he's the first to reveal that torment is the hidden driving force for TNO and the party, and he summarizes the plot better than anyone else when explaining that TNO has the mark of torment on his shoulder:

"It is torment. It is that which draws all tormented souls to you." Fell nodded at my left arm, at my shoulder. "The flesh knows it suffers even when the mind has forgotten. And so you wear the rune always."
    It's a minor thing, but there's an NPC in the Smoldering Corpse bar named O who has excellent dialogue. What should be a stereotypical, uninteresting, unquest-related fat guy in a bar, in the spirit of Torment, is actually a deity above deities who is currently spending the moments between aeons amusing himself by watching mortals act dumb.

EDIT:
    For what it matters, Wisdom is the most important stat to pump ultra-high to get all the conversation options. That's what you need to max out Dak'kon. Regarding the final boss talk/fight, if you don't convince him to merge with you or threaten him with Coaxmetal's weapon, you can convince him to let you revive one of your companions before the fight, which I believe is the only way for them not to all to be dead at the end... yay? Also, if you try to revive Morte he reveals that he's just playing dead. So even though you don't know it, he survives the game regardless of how you dealt with TTO. Jumes, you probably missed the important explanation for whom the third personality in the Fortress of Regrets is because you killed the paranoid incarnation instead of merging with him. I think you have to merge with the other two and have high stats to realize who the third incarnation is, and then he fills in his backstory some.
    Last edited by 7thCircle; 12-14-2011 at 01:08 AM.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Never played the game but it sounds fascinating. The story sounds like it would be worth reading as a novel. Never been much of a D&D person so I dunno if I could suffer through the gameplay. But it sounds really interesting.

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    Let's be clear here: though the combat is most definitely not the reason to play the game, it's also not the worst I've ever experienced. You can deal with it and move on.
    7th: that may well be it. Stupid paranoid version of TNO, making it far easier for me to just strangle him and have done. I only remembered I should have tried absorbing him after it was done.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.