Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: Chrono Trigger Travels to the iOS Era

  1. #1
    Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    1,173

    Chrono Trigger Travels to the iOS Era

    The meandering journey of a heroic band of time travelers has landed them in the new, unfamiliar realm of the iOS App Store. Hopefully this will not lead to the development of the iBlack Omen.

    [Link]

  2. #2
    Member colormonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    198
    SE milking that dead cow

  3. #3
    Who needs Rinoa anyway? Rebochan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,108
    Because making classics available to new generations = milking.

    Why don't they hoard their old games so nobody under the age of 25 will ever hear of them like a real company would?
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

  4. #4
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,151
    Quote Originally Posted by colormonster View Post
    SE milking that dead cow
    No one is forcing you to buy it

  5. #5
    The Gratitude Pokemon Shaymin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dartmouth, New Sealand, Canada
    Posts
    1,041
    So what's the horrid controls tax on this one...?

    /checks

    $2. Uh, pass.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

  6. #6
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    So what's the horrid controls tax on this one...?

    /checks

    $2. Uh, pass.
    Uhh what do you mean tax? Its the same price as the last version released (PSN)

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by colormonster View Post
    SE milking that dead cow
    To the extent that they're basically just packaging emulated versions of the game to make a buck off of work by people who mostly aren't around anymore? Yeah, they're kind of milking it. I'd have a crapload more respect for them if they actually got around to remaking the game, even if it was just a high-resolution remastering with updated animations. ANY degree of improvement, really. It doesn't have to be a DQ4-6 level remake (though that would make me crap my pants), but even simply a FF wonderswan level remake would be nice, considering this is yet another--third? fourth?--port of essentially the exact same game.

    It's easy to talk about "keeping the classics alive", but I seriously doubt that's SE's motivation for CT ports. If they actually loved the game enough to want to bring it to a new generation, they'd put some bloody elbow grease into it.

    /heck, emulating it on a PC 10 years ago with a simple graphics filter applied was a better way to experience the game than even the newest port
    Last edited by josah; 12-15-2011 at 04:15 PM.

  8. #8
    RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,151
    Quote Originally Posted by josah View Post
    To the extent that they're basically just packaging emulated versions of the game to make a buck off of work by people who mostly aren't around anymore? Yeah, they're kind of milking it. I'd have a crapload more respect for them if they actually got around to remaking the game, even if it was just a high-resolution remastering with updated animations. ANY degree of improvement, really. It doesn't have to be a DQ4-6 level remake (though that would make me crap my pants), but even simply a FF wonderswan level remake would be nice, considering this is yet another--third? fourth?--port of essentially the exact same game.

    It's easy to talk about "keeping the classics alive", but I seriously doubt that's SE's motivation for CT ports. If they actually loved the game enough to want to bring it to a new generation, they'd put some bloody elbow grease into it.

    /heck, emulating it on a PC 10 years ago with a simple graphics filter applied was a better way to experience the game than even the newest port
    Call it what you want, if there wasn't a demand for it, they wouldn't be porting it to a bunch of different platforms.

  9. #9
    Banned Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    35
    It is milking

    5+ re releases, without a true sequel

  10. #10
    Who needs Rinoa anyway? Rebochan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,108
    Yea, why can't they be more like LucasArts, who locks their long beloeved games in a vault and licenses out Star Wars games? They're respectable for that! And I think it's great that future generations will never experience their titles in any form unless they're up for piracy and an emulator.

    ...oh, and frankly, I'm fine with endless ports of CT if it means Masato Kato doesn't get his hands on it again. The iOS version has the obnoxious DS retcons in it, which were just even more crap shoe-horned in to make sure we all understand that Chrono Trigger is far inferior to the game HE made based on the license.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

  11. #11
    I'm not sure I get what Rebochan is trying to tell us in the second paragraph.


    Well, anyway, here's my German point of view: the first time we (officially) got to play Chrono Trigger was when it came out in the form of the DS port. It was only in English - which was fine by me. (I knew the game before anyway because my brother imported the american SNES game)
    However, many other people were disappointed by the lack of localization.
    DS games were like 40 euros (about 50USD) at that time and Chrono Trigger DS's price was not coming down fast or at all really, unlike most other games. So it's not such a big surprise for me, that Chrono Trigger DS wasn't that huge success SE was hoping for.

    And now, a few years later a version of the game comes out for ios with an 8 price tag and what's happening...suddenly it's playable in German Oo something Secret of Mana, which was even released in German back in the day, couldn't pull off for some reason.

    So considering all, I'm strongly in favor of ios versions, since they will be playable for a long while on new devices and as was said before, introduce other people to games they would otherwise not know about.

  12. #12
    Member storino03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    134
    I'm waiting for an ipad version of chrono trigger

  13. #13
    The Gratitude Pokemon Shaymin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dartmouth, New Sealand, Canada
    Posts
    1,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Uhh what do you mean tax? Its the same price as the last version released (PSN)
    I was referring to the last one I bought - the Wii VC one ($8). The PSN one is broken for different reasons.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

  14. #14
    I'd have a crapload more respect for them if they actually got around to remaking the game
    To be fair, there is a small country's worth of people out there who'd bomb SE's corporate headquarters if they dared ruined Chrono Trigger's "purity" with a clumsy remake...or whatever fanboys say. If SE is to choose between the gamers who turn up their noses at every re-release of a game and the rabid Square fanboys who buy up anything from the good ol' days, who do you think they'd prefer to cater to?

    At least there is some honour in re-releasing a classic in its original glory. It's not like they're slapping the Chrono name on every piece of software that successfully compiles on their computers for easy sales like a certain RPG franchise we know...

    It doesn't have to be a DQ4-6 level remake (though that would make me crap my pants), but even simply a FF wonderswan level remake would be nice, considering this is yet another--third? fourth?--port of essentially the exact same game.
    An indie group tried to do an N64 remake of the game some years back, but then Square found out and sent their ninjas. There were bloody keyboards and N64 gamepads everywhere. It was tragic.

  15. #15
    これはメタです RPGamer Staff Quin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,325
    Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    To be fair, there is a small country's worth of people out there who'd bomb SE's corporate headquarters if they dared ruined Chrono Trigger's "purity" with a clumsy remake...
    CT kinda falls into the same category as FFVII there.

    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

  16. #16
    I don't mind the iOS port at all; no harm done to me. But those text boxes and battle menus just look off. They don't fit the graphical style of the game at all.

  17. #17
    Member SiliconNooB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia.
    Posts
    6,893
    Quote Originally Posted by josah View Post
    To the extent that they're basically just packaging emulated versions of the game to make a buck off of work by people who mostly aren't around anymore? Yeah, they're kind of milking it. I'd have a crapload more respect for them if they actually got around to remaking the game, even if it was just a high-resolution remastering with updated animations. ANY degree of improvement, really. It doesn't have to be a DQ4-6 level remake (though that would make me crap my pants), but even simply a FF wonderswan level remake would be nice, considering this is yet another--third? fourth?--port of essentially the exact same game.

    It's easy to talk about "keeping the classics alive", but I seriously doubt that's SE's motivation for CT ports. If they actually loved the game enough to want to bring it to a new generation, they'd put some bloody elbow grease into it.

    /heck, emulating it on a PC 10 years ago with a simple graphics filter applied was a better way to experience the game than even the newest port
    SE can sell whatever they like for however much they want to, but they'll earn none of my respect by selling a third hand ROM of a SNES game for $5-6 more than quality original iOS titles.

    They should do what Sega does and release their 16bit catalog for $2-3 each.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuriken View Post
    And now, a few years later a version of the game comes out for ios with an 8 price tag and what's happening...suddenly it's playable in German Oo something Secret of Mana, which was even released in German back in the day, couldn't pull off for some reason.

    So considering all, I'm strongly in favor of ios versions, since they will be playable for a long while on new devices and as was said before, introduce other people to games they would otherwise not know about.
    Wait a second. Chrono Trigger will be available in German? Really truly?

    Is this game for iPhone or for iPad?

  19. #19
    Who needs Rinoa anyway? Rebochan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuriken View Post
    I'm not sure I get what Rebochan is trying to tell us in the second paragraph.
    That I hope Chrono Trigger is never remade, because if it is, it will be with Masato Kato at the head and the plot will be further rewritten to emphasize how much better he thinks his own game, Chrono Cross, is. The Dream Devourer crap in the DS version was him making more retcons to Trigger (and Cross for that matter). I seriously don't trust that guy with another Chrono project, which is the only reason I'm happy the franchise is dead aside from a few ports.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes

  20. #20
    Member SiliconNooB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia.
    Posts
    6,893
    I'd be happy with a CT fan remake, but I wouldn't trust SE with the project, nor would I trust them with a FFVII remake for that matter.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •