Thread: RPGCast - Episode 204: "Skyrimlander Sword"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 204: "Skyrimlander Sword"

RPGCast - Episode 204: "Skyrimlander Sword"

While it's a pretty light news week, Nintendo manages to drop a bomb on us. We even have to bring in a special Mitsuhide fashion consultant to understand the true ramifications of this unanticipated RPG mash-up. Additionally, we completely solve the debate over Western vs. Japanese RPGs.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/204

RPGCast streams live, sometimes on Friday at 10 PM Eastern / 7 PM Pacific, usually on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Skyrimlander Sword"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    The 15th Pokémon movie is due to show Kyurem, the almost guaranteed box mascot of the third version/"Pokémon Grey." I imagine the game will be announced around then. I'm pretty sure Platinum was announced around the same time as the 11th movie.

Anyway, I think a tactical Pokémon game could be a lot of fun. I'll certainly be keeping my eye on it.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Host of The Sectorcast Rosestorm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    The 15th Pokémon movie is due to show Kyurem, the almost guaranteed box mascot of the third version/"Pokémon Grey." I imagine the game will be announced around then. I'm pretty sure Platinum was announced around the same time as the 11th movie.

Anyway, I think a tactical Pokémon game could be a lot of fun. I'll certainly be keeping my eye on it.
    Though is does seem to be an odd crossover.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I don't know if you'll be doing any more Random Encounters in the near future, but just in case, I'll throw this one out:

Are there any RPGs (or if you can't think of any at all, any video games) whose origins surprised you? For instance, it's a little-known fact that the Megami Tensei meta-series is based off of a trilogy of short novels. Aside from a surprsing source material, maybe a series is much older than you thought it was, and the like.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

New Member New Registered User
    You guys didn't hit the exact thrust of my topic, but I guess my formulation of the question wasn't that exact either, so meh.
    My point with "Western mechanics with Japanese storytelling or Western storytelling with Japanese mechanics" was to note the evolution in what is criticized about the JRPG in the West. It used to be you'd hear complaints about the mechanics ("Random encounters suck!" and "Turn-based is inherently inferior to real-time"), but more recently, I feel the attack has shifted to the stories and characters of JRPGs ("Every JRPG story is the same anime cliches regurgitated!" and "I hate Hope!"). Western storytelling (which I agree is championed by Bioware) isn't only about illusions of choice, but also about characters which are more adult and realistic. There is a complaint among Western fans that JRPGs are meant to appeal only to teenagers (and otaku), and the stories in them haven't grown up in their themes. There are notable exceptions - Nier (which had a teenage protagonist in Japan) and Dark/Demon Souls come to mind - but on the whole JRPGs are still filled with cliches that haven't grown up since the 90's.
    There are also two interesting trends that I've noted, and which led to the title of my question:
    1. JRPG developers seem to be shying away from turn-based mechanics. Dragon Quest IX seems a prime example of this, until they caved in to the pressure. FF 13 also has a more "dynamic" battle system. It feels like Japanese developers are aiming to create mechanics which they assume appeal better to a Western audience.
    2. Western developers employing the classic JRPG formula to tell stories and receiving critical and commercial success. Cthulu Saves the World and Costume Quest are prime examples. I realize that both of these are more "indie" in nature, but I still feel they are indicative.

I truly wonder what would happen if you tried to run the plot of a Tales game through, say, the DA:O engine.

Did DLC kills the xpac? I think most publishers would like it too, which means essentially, yes. However, I think there are a number of game genres that don't really work that well with DLC, which is why you'll still see expansions, although they are more likely to be stand-alone expansions (read: same assets, but don't need the original to work). I don't think you can apply the question of DLC to MMOs.

I didn't like the battle system in FF12 at all. It felt like an MMO where I didn't have the benefit of custom hotkeys. It served as a spotlight of the annoyance in menu diving. I mean, can't they at least give me an "Already stolen from" condition for gambits?!

I need to think up a new random encounter...

I think Persona is also an excellent example of choice and maturity -- particularly Persona 4, where each character struggles with "not being normal." Definitely hit home for me.

Generally speaking (and this is all IMNSHO) we're moving to more 'exciting' battle systems because developers are in the "mass competition gogogogogogo" of the PS1/PS2 era, as opposed to the SNES era. If the thought process is your game needs to stand out, you're gonna do some whacky crap to get it out there.

Having spoken with developers about the subject of DLC (and worked on games with it), it's staggering the amount of content that's cut from even the most complete feeling games. The way to re-capture that lost content is via DLC, and for me that's worth it (not to buy, but to offer).

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    so how are you "not being normal", Paws?

Storytelling is hard to say, but I definitely prefer Japanese mechanics. However, not the basic Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest ones. I like the ones that do unusual stuff, like Tri-Ace.

Host of The Sectorcast Rosestorm's Avatar
    The PC version of the A button is the E key Mikel
    Deputy Editor of Gamersector.com
    Check out my podcast Sectorcast, http://gamersector.com/podcast/sectorcast
    A lie would be considered the truth if only more people believed it.

I'm rather curious to see why they're not stressing the strategy side of Pokemon+Nobunaga's Ambition. My personal theory on it is that they're going to be focusing solely on the battles. Wheras Nobunaga's Ambition has battles, but also focuses heavily on managing your territory and army. If they call it a strategy game then Nobunaga fans will probably be going in expecting that, and then be disappointed to see it's more in the Tactics Ogre vein. It's not quite an accurate description, but could prevent fan backlash.

As for grid-based rpgs that aren't strategy games, Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure, and Radiant Historia come to mind. You could probably make a case for Suikoden or Persona 2, with their focus on formations, but it's not as prominent in those two.
    Last edited by Popoi; 12-26-2011 at 09:53 PM.

i got a playstation 3 with a copy of BF3 and i beat it in 4-6 hours and its one of the shortest times ive ever spent on a game ever beside MW2 which i spent 4 hours on. i also got legend of Zelda Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess which are awesome.