Thread: EvilQuest Hits Xbox Live Indie Games

EvilQuest Hits Xbox Live Indie Games

Yet another indie RPG is scheduled to hit the Xbox Live Indie service today. If you are looking for an action packed game where you get to be evil, then EvilQuest might just be your thing.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q1-2012/010412a.html
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Looks good. Too bad it's an action RPG and not a traditional one (I don't like action RPGs personally). Anyone played it yet?

Not Traditional? Have you ever seen Crystalis
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Well, that's not what I meant, I know there have been action RPGs for a long time, but they are more something that got added to the basic RPG concept. The German definition for RPG is actually that you play multiple characters, if you only play one it's called an "adventure" instead. So Zelda is "action adventure" while Secret of Mana would be "action RPG", but I guess I'm just streching it (and it's not allowed to discuss about this anyway). I simply don't like action RPGs, but I like RPGs that have a battle system that has action elements (like Star Ocean). Plus, there are soooooo many action RPGs available already, what's lacking is more traditional ones. Oops, now I used the word again. Well hope you know what I mean. If I wanted an action RPG, I already had like 10 XBLA and 20 iOS games that look really good and I haven't played yet...

It doesn't seem like very many action RPGs coming out in the last few years actually have NPC party members, now that you bring up your criteria.

Still, looks pretty good, nice and clean pixel art. Wouldn't mind giving this one a shot.
    http://www.shadowdawngenesis.com - follow progress on the upcoming RPG series Shadowdawn on Xbox Live Indie Games and PC (and wherever else we can take it)

Wish I had the time. The indie RPG scene is great during dry spells, but right now there are so many great AAA choices.

New Member New Registered User

Just started.

Saw that it released and paid the 80 points without demoing it (which I normally do for indie games). So far, it's pretty fun. Very much like Crystalis, but from the perspective of a criminally insane would-be conqueror. Graphics are damn good for an 80 point indie game, and the level design is broad enough that you will find yourself wandering around just to make sure you get everything.

Only thing I've noticed is the difficulty ramps up pretty quickly, with the early enemies going down with one or two strikes, and the later enemies requiring a bit of stalking and strafing. Otherwise, well worth the 80 points, so give it a go and support indie developers.

Brian J. Blottie
    -I might beat this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    Oops, now I used the word again. Well hope you know what I mean.
    The term "turn-based RPG" might be a more accurate description of what you mean. There are still a few of them out there, like Breath of Death / Cthulhu Saves the World, or Wizardry over on the PSN, if you're feeling really oldschool.

New Member New Registered User
    About an hour in now. The difficulty is all over the place. Some enemies can be a pain, but most go down pretty easily now, bosses included. It's now even MORE like Crystalis, so if you liked that game, get this game NOW. It even uses that game's "you need Item A to be able to survive in Location A, but you can go to Location A if you'd like and get destroyed" gameplay trope. The nice thing about it is that there isn't really a need for grinding; the gold and experience you get from common enemies is negligible, and really not necessary to finish the levels. As long as you have the right sword/spell, you're good to go.

This is easily my favorite indie game in a LONG time, as it's the old school fun that I wish more games embraced. For a dollar, this is a STEAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Minneyar View Post
    The term "turn-based RPG" might be a more accurate description of what you mean. There are still a few of them out there, like Breath of Death / Cthulhu Saves the World, or Wizardry over on the PSN, if you're feeling really oldschool.
    Well I'd consider something like FF I-VI as traditional as well and that's not exactly round-based so that's why I didn't use that term. =p
    Anyway, yes I know that there are such games, but I've played ALL of them through already, no kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by themightyblot View Post
    About an hour in now. The difficulty is all over the place. Some enemies can be a pain, but most go down pretty easily now, bosses included. It's now even MORE like Crystalis, so if you liked that game, get this game NOW. It even uses that game's "you need Item A to be able to survive in Location A, but you can go to Location A if you'd like and get destroyed" gameplay trope. The nice thing about it is that there isn't really a need for grinding; the gold and experience you get from common enemies is negligible, and really not necessary to finish the levels. As long as you have the right sword/spell, you're good to go.

This is easily my favorite indie game in a LONG time, as it's the old school fun that I wish more games embraced. For a dollar, this is a STEAL.
    Just bought it last night without demoing it myself. It's just a $1 (though I find I have a harder time spending MSPs than I do actual money for some reason), so I didn't mind helping out the small indie devs. Especially since they are here in town.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

In an age where I can by some of the best games of all time for $3 in a GOG sale, some indie game only costing $1 isn't going to encourage me to buy it.

What's up with those low prices lately. 10 years ago I had no problem paying 60€ for a game and these days I feel completely ripped off when an indie developer wants 5€ for his XBLIG game. Not to mention those indie PC games that are like 20€!

On the other hand most retail console games get incredibly expensive lately. If you wait a few years they are already like >100€ what the hell...

Gave it a shot last night. It mostly filled me with longings for Crystalis to show up on the Wii VC rather than actually liking the game. The gameplay is unbalanced, the visuals lack consistency, the writing is bad, boring, and verbose, and it's mostly just a half-rate imitation of Crystalis. Don't get me wrong, I love Crystalis but if you're going to copy an old game, I hope you either do a better job of it than they did back then or add your own unique spin to the formula.

Still, far from the worst Action/RPG I've played on XBLIG.
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.